Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Pilot EX-L. The rest of the dash is in great shape, but the plastic cover over the passenger airbag has degraded. Even though the car is usually garaged, the airbag cover is very tacky/sticky. Pressing on it actually leaves fingerprints in the plastic. I've tried a few different treatments but nothing so far has improved it.

Any suggestions for a dressing that might improve this? Are replacement covers available at a reasonable cost, and are any special skills required to replace it?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
2005 Pilot EX-L. The rest of the dash is in great shape, but the plastic cover over the passenger airbag has degraded. Even though the car is usually garaged, the airbag cover is very tacky/sticky. Pressing on it actually leaves fingerprints in the plastic. I've tried a few different treatments but nothing so far has improved it.

Any suggestions for a dressing that might improve this? Are replacement covers available at a reasonable cost, and are any special skills required to replace it?
A photo might help. Ty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The white spots are bits of a microfiber towel that stuck to the plastic earlier today when sprayed Dash-Away interior detailer on the cover and wiped it off.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Try isopropyl alcohol, 100% if you can get it. The polymers in the plastic have degraded allowing some of the oils to seep to the surface. You may have to do this every few months since it is already breaking down it will probably continue to do so over time.

Alternative method, find a cover in a junk yard that it good. Not sure I would want to do the replacement my self, as I don't mess around with the airbags at all.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
As @Daltongang stated, a junk yard may have the cover. Im not sure if the cover is removable on your model. In that case, you have to buy the whole airbag. There is one on E-bay for $140. If you go this route, make sure it's not a recalled airbag, and when you go to install, disconect the negative battery terminal and let it set for at least 10 minutes before disconnecting the yellow SRS conector to the airbag or you may set a permanent code in the SRS module. I'm sure there's some how to videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts

It appears that the cover is integral to the airbag assembly.
The most recent recall for the airbag assembly was in June of 2019.
Did you have that recall performed?
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
It appears that the cover is integral to the airbag assembly.
The most recent recall for the airbag assembly was in June of 2019.
Did you have that recall performed?
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
Actually, that's a good idea. If your airbag recall is still pending, as it might be from the looks of things, get it done at the dealer and while you're there ask them about that cover. It's worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts