Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been we need to go to the junkyard not far from my house about 8 to 10 miles for years. I finally got around to it today on a whim.
I needed the front HVAC blower vent just under where the radio is, and the knob on the rear center consul for the HVAC. I figured while I was there I would get another tire.
It’s a big place and hard to find the cars you need. I tell you a row And a number, and that’s it. You were on your own. I found others wandering around aimlessly on that big yard as well looking for their vehicle they were looking for. I brought a bag of tools that I would need specifically for these items.
I found a 2006 XL four-wheel-drive.
It had the same mags as my 2008 SE. I had my own breaker bar with a three-quarter inch socket for that. Cut the wheel off and the tire is not in great shape but it would be a good spare and it’s holding air. Including the three dollar entrance fee and the vent and the wheel it was 50 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
423 Posts
Typically- does one have to put the vehicle back together after taking parts? I’ve never been to a junkyard for parts but have been considering doing so

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Typically- does one have to put the vehicle back together after taking parts? I’ve never been to a junkyard for parts but have been considering doing so
Largely depends on the junkyard. Some people trash and there's debris all over the place. Most ask you (and I generally try to do this when I've gone) to leave parts in the vehicle that I'm not taking. They aren't on the ground and are still with the car if someone else needs it.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I also try to remove my parts as carefully as possible just in case someone wants to use the parts nearby. So when I took a door speaker, I was careful not to break the clips holding the door in case someone wanted the plastic trim.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
423 Posts
Sounds good!!! Maybe I will make that trip in the not so distant future 😁👍

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
What a lovely springtime outing for the DIY fauna.

Gotta admit I'm slightly disappointed, though. When I clicked on this thread, I had a phantom limb twinge that you might have scored fender flares. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
423 Posts
Salvage Yard Baby!!! 😍
Woo Hoo! 😃
Better than Fiesta Texas!
More pics of the family fun next time!
LOL!!! Family Fun!! Heck- Bring the BBQ Pit and make a Day of It!!! Speaking of which...I think my stick burner is feeling neglected :( that 19.32# Texas Style Brisket smoked 3 days ago left some cleaning to be done!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Salvage Yard Baby!!! 😍
Woo Hoo! 😃
Better than Fiesta Texas!
More pics of the family fun next time!
Nothing better than Pick N Pull on the south side.

LOL!!! Family Fun!! Heck- Bring the BBQ Pit and make a Day of It!!! Speaking of which...I think my stick burner is feeling neglected :( that 19.32# Texas Style Brisket smoked 3 days ago left some cleaning to be done!
I actually did see a family having a BBQ inside Pick n Pull.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ha Ha, thanks for the replies.
PlPl- My Truck does have OEM fender flares- matches the 2 tone paint. I had to install them myself. Something about when I ordered my truck, they'd do this, but not that together. So lots of stuff ordered like the tire and handling package, Towing package, XKT interrior, two tone paint- but wouldn't put the flares on from the factory. Installed myself for less than $200.

Ok Gang, go the 17" mag wheels off the 06- matches perfectly the 08 SE mags. It still had 28#'s in it. One side nearly bald, took it off the rear where there was no damage to the Pilot. Put 42#'s in it, and went to put it up.
* All this talk about it fitting under there? It would fit more flush w/o my aftermarket hitch!
It still fits. Ground clearance is good. It's NOT the lowest hanging fruit back there LOL.

Then my knob on my rear HVAC?

Much of the dash that needs to be removed to get to this trim piece properly had been. I popped it out no problem.
I re installed by taking part of my dash apart to- so as to not break any tabs, etc.

Then the broken air vent. I took the dash piece off an 06 4WD. The button on the left are different than mine. The piece is the same. I began looking at my best options for changing this out. then much to my pleasure, the left sided push buttons came out easily with an upper and loser push tab on the back of it!

The broken vent with the 06 module I removed:

The fix;:

Why didn't I go there before? LOTS of vehicles. Only an 05 and 06 Pilot though.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
It still had 28#'s in it.
Not bad for spending at least one Wisconsin winter out in a boneyard.

It would fit more fluch w/o my aftermarket hitch!
Perhaps, but even with my OEM hitch, there's a bit of a tilt. But man, that tire's balder than when Britney Spears went Cocoa Puffs with the hair clipper.

Then my knob
Must feel good to get your knob functioning properly again. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
423 Posts
Ha Ha, thanks for the replies.
PlPl- My Truck does have OEM fender flares- mates the 2 tone paint. I had to install them myself. Something about when I ordered my truck, they'd do this, but not that together. So lots of stuff ordered like the tire and handling package, Towing package, XKT interrior, two tone paint- but wouldn't put the flares on from the factory. Installed myself for less than $200.

Ok Gang, go the 17" mag wheels off the 06- matches perfectly the 08 SE mags. It still had 28#'s in it. One side nearly bald, took it off the rear where there was no damage to the Pilot. Put 42#'s in it, and went to put it up.
* All this talk about it fitting under there? It would fit more fluch w/o my aftermarket hitch!
It still fits. Ground clearnace is good. It's NOT the lowest hanging fruit back there LOL.

Then my knob on my rear HVAC?

Much of the dash that needs to be removed to get to this trim piece properly had been. I popped it out no problem.
I re istalled by taking part of my dash apart to- so as to not break any tabs, etc.

Then the broken air vent. I took the dash piece off an 06 4WD. The button on the left are different than mine. The piece is the same. I began looking at my best options for changing this out. then mush to my pleasure, the left sided push buttons came out easily with an upper and loser push tab on the back of it!

The broken vent with the 06 module I removed:

The fix;:

Why didn't I go there before? LOTS of vehicles. Only an 05 and 06 Pilot though.
Nice Job!!!!

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
What a lovely springtime outing for the DIY fauna.

Gotta admit I'm slightly disappointed, though. When I clicked on this thread, I had a phantom limb twinge that you might have scored fender flares. :)
I've been watching Copart for you. It's like the only chance to get a set. If they make it to the salvage yard they'll be gone in no time.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Just concede that your quest for the holy grail a set of fender flares is hopeless.
Spread a layer of bondo around the wheel openings in the fenders and cover it with pickup truck bedliner spray coating.
No one will be able to tell the difference and you'll have get the look you've been craving all these years.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Just concede that your quest for the holy grail a set of fender flares is hopeless.
Spread a layer of bondo around the wheel openings in the fenders and cover it with pickup truck bedliner spray coating.
No one will be able to tell the difference and you'll have get the look you've been craving all these years.
Like I said, phantom limb twinge, because I've already done Bondo and bedliner one better.

My daughter drove me out in her Pilot today to go pick up my Pilot.

Got tired of fruitlessly searching and waiting around for unobtainium fender flares. You know, to cover up the start of body rust where the sides of the plastic rear bumpers come up to the rear quarter panel. Yeah there -- don't pretend that you don't know, rust belt 1st genners. The tipping point was when rust started to appear above the windshield corners. They don't even make no OEM windshield flare to hide that. So I started my search for a good, old school body shop that's been in business for many years and doesn't pooh-pooh non-insurance jobs.

Found one. A bit far, though, but well-recommended. A father and son place that takes pride in their work and that doesn't try to overcharge you. It took them almost all month, but now my 2006 looks like it just drove off the showroom floor. The guys fabricated custom body parts so as not just to bury the rust, but to replace it everywhere it was hiding beneath the surface. And the Nighthawk Black Pearl paint job and blend are spotless. OK, it set me back a couple grand and a half, but my Pilot runs so well when I take care of it, I want to keep it going a good long while. I'm OK with spending some of all the money I've saved over the years by using Maxlife ATF instead of DW-1 :D I'm happy with it, more than I think I would be after owning pretty much any other comparable vehicle two months after I purchased it new.

View attachment 142431 Yay!

·
Registered
9,283 Posts

That VTM-4 LOCK button looks familiar....
Yeah, whatcha gonna do with that vestigial VTM-4 button on your 2WD? You absolutely need to repurpose it in an original way and impress us all. :)

Also, looks like you still have a knob in need of TLC.

What you need is wood. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts