Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a suburbanite, I don't intend to do too much off-roading. For me, the Pilot will mainly be challenged by snow and the occasional muddy highway median when I get stuck in a traffic jam so bad it pays to turn around and go back (which I've already done once).

Another possibility is a curb or parking lot island. Say you're blocked in by an idiot who's "just running into the Post Office for a second". After you're done taking a Louisville Slugger to his windshield and slashing his tires, what do you do? This is my first 4WD vehicle and I'm open to considerations from the more experienced. This is mainly an academic exercise for fun. I'm not really one of those crazy NYers who drives on the sidewalk. (What, that "Louisville Slugger" comment? Hey, if they want anarchy, give 'em anarchy!)

Given: The Pilot has a minimum 8" ground clearance, and 28.5° and 23° approach and departure angles, respectively. Those numbers are good for comparison but who gets out and takes measurements before they negotiate an obstacle? You're gonna eyeball it. I wouldn't think a 6" or 7" curb would be a problem if you approach it and ride up on it with both sets of wheels square. The same goes for those beveled concrete chocks you see in parking lots. They're usually not very tall. But higher than that, considering some vehicle "bounce" at any speed, you might bash something on the underside.

Which brings us to parking lot islands. With a 106" wheelbase, there is roughly 7 feet between the front and rear tires. Most islands are narrower than that. I figure, you can approach it in one of 3 ways:
  1. If you approach the island with all wheels square, at some point, all the tires will be on the asphalt with the island between them. That might get a little dicey. :eek:
  2. Approach with the front wheels square, then turn so that at least one rear wheel is up on the island before a front wheel drops off.
  3. Approach at an angle so that both wheels on one side are on the island before the second front wheel rides up.
    [/list=1]

This all assumes you have the room to make these maneuvers (and if you did, you probably wouldn't have to). :bonk:

Another consideration is the VTM4. The manual says don't lock it on flat dry pavement, but what about something like this?

Sorry it got so tedious.:23:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
OK, from what I understand what you want to do is probably not legal.
But if you were four-wheeling in a legal area and came across a rock that looks just like a parking island, here is how to best cross it.

Aproach at an angle great enough to allow the first tire to touch to get completly up and on befor ethe second tire atemps to climb.

You may want to increrase the angle slightly more to allow you to tun the wheel so the first tire is flat to the face of the curb (I mean rock).

When decending you want to take the same tactic. This raises and lowers the chassis at the slowest rate and reduces the chance of hitting the bottom due to bounce. It also lowers the stess and strain on the suspension and drive line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I'm sure there is some joke about "going postal" here somewhere.

When the guy comes out go postal and run him over. :) No need to worry about your suspension.

BTW, I'm not a proponent of violence... :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Parking Lot Islands

N_Jay said:
OK, from what I understand what you want to do is probably not legal.
Probably not. But I actually saw something like it recently on a commercial for another 4WD vehicle (Jeep Liberty, I think.) It got me thinking that it's probably the most demanding obstacle I would ever encounter.

Thanks N_Jay. What you're saying makes sense.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Parking Lot Islands

krygny said:

Probably not. But I actually saw something like it recently on a commercial for another 4WD vehicle (Jeep Liberty, I think.) It got me thinking that it's probably the most demanding obstacle I would ever encounter.

Ever see the Range Rover add where the guy make a turn off the raod overa tall pile of rocks (like 8 feet) at the bottom of his driveway.

I have not driven the Pilot or CR-V over anything taller than a standard curb, but my Jeep and Range Rover would step up onto anything that the front wheels could touch.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Re: Re: Parking Lot Islands

N_Jay said:

Ever see the Range Rover add where the guy make a turn off the raod overa tall pile of rocks (like 8 feet) at the bottom of his driveway.
Yeah, it's computer generated (as are all car ads) just like the Pilot commercial where the guys with the bikes on the roof go over the mountain rather than through the tunnel. Can't they come up with something more original that's actually directed toward the market the Pilot adresses? Like people who want to drive over curbs and across highway medians.:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Parking Lot Islands

krygny said:

He always does, doesn't he? I always listen to what he has to say.

As for your question, I'll relate my experience which took place not too long after I took possession of my Pilot last August. Every month or so, my buddies and I have a poker night at "still single" guys' places, taking turns for each night. This one night at the start of the poker game, it was apparent that we were sorely short of booze, so all of us jumped into my then brand new car and made a trip to the liquor store and on the way back, we were stopped at these train tracks. This was at around 12AM and this 300+ cart train was moving at a snail's pace.

After about 10 minutes of a wait at the crossing, instead of this train going forward, it came to a stop and started go backwards!!! So, I decided to jump the curb to the right of me which would have me in a parking lot that led me to a street to help me avoid the train. This curb though was your higher than normal one. I really don't know precisely how high it is in inches or centimeters, but it was high. But my buddies were eggging me to show them what my new SUV was capable of, so, I obliged them. I was approaching the curb at perhaps a 40 degree angle and was travelling very, very slow. Once my Pilot hit the curb, with its own momentum and a slight on the accelerator, the right tire climbed over the curb without any problems and I started to turn the steering wheel to the right. The left wheel subsequently hit the curb and climbed over without any hesitation. After that, my rear wheels walked over those curbs like a cakewalk. My buddies were woohoo'ing.

In retrospect, I doubt if I would've had such an easy time making it over those high curbs if I approached it at a perpendicular angle or anything close to that. Also, I think it's important togingerly appraoching an obstacle and time the light tap on the gas pedal as your tire hits it at the proper angle. I was very nervous inside the whole time I was trying to overcome the high curb that night but the Pilot performed flawlessly.

This goes to show ya, N_Jay knows what he's talking about :D

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Re: Re: Parking Lot Islands

RipRocK said:
As for your question, I'll relate my experience which took place not too long after I took possession of my Pilot last August. ...
Thanks, RipRock. Great story. See? almost everybody has to bend the rules once in a while.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D do I smell alcohol? who's been drinking!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
sblvro: I hadn't start drinking yet when we made the trip to the liquorstore that night, but I actually was close to finishing up my 6pack of Sam Adams when I wrote that :7:

kemosabe: hehehehe...I think it was more like, "Since I'm totally toasted, it doesn't matter what you look like...just be gone by the time I wake up." :2:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D :D :14:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts