Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for idea/recommendations on Parking the pilot in a garage. There is enough for the Pilot to fit, however the driver's door has the potential of hit the center support post. Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect the doors from the post.

My List so far includes wrapping the post in scrap carpet or some type of thick foam.

I will try to get a picture of the parking situation.

Thanks

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't have a garage myself, but my In-Laws garage has a similar problem.

My Father-In-Law first wrapped the post in a carpet pad, then carpet, then felt. He says the felt helps prevent possible scratching from the fibers in the carpet. I'm not exactly sure how he secured everything. I think duct tape for the first two layers. I don't recall seeing anything wrapped around the felt holding it to the post, so I have no idea how he secured it. Knowing him, he probably got his wife to sew it to the carpet! :D

He has had it like this for at least 8 years and it seems to work for him. He is very meticulous about the condition of his cars!

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's simple.
Just park on the left side of the garage!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't park on the other side of the garage. The Extended cab GMC truck will only fit on that side of the garage. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Johnwarre said:
Can't park on the other side of the garage. The Extended cab GMC truck will only fit on that side of the garage. Thanks for the idea though.
I knew that was too simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup....If I try to pull the pilot in beyond the the post, can't open the door to the house all the way.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Lowe's / Home Depot has rolls of foam (adhesive on one side) in the weatherstripping section.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hairbrained Idea #1: Are you trying to center the Pilot from side to side in the space available? If so, maybe you could sacrifice the ability to get in the passenger side doors for the sake of extra clearance on the driver's side.

Hairbrained Idea #2: Maybe you could back the Pilot into the space. I don't have the accuracy yet to do that with my own Pilot, but with practice anything is possible. If the driver's door then hits a wall, back in with the vehicle close to the post, again sacrificing the ability to use the passenger door.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pilotron said:
Hairbrained Idea #1: Are you trying to center the Pilot from side to side in the space available? If so, maybe you could sacrifice the ability to get in the passenger side doors for the sake of extra clearance on the driver's side.

Hairbrained Idea #2: Maybe you could back the Pilot into the space. I don't have the accuracy yet to do that with my own Pilot, but with practice anything is possible. If the driver's door then hits a wall, back in with the vehicle close to the post, again sacrificing the ability to use the passenger door.
Nothing hairbrained about either idea. In fact, this is how we park. The Pilot gets parked on the left and the Odyssey gets backed in on the right. This gives driver's side access to both vehicles. Both are in the large bay of a three-car garage, so there's a support pillar next to the driver's side of the Odyssey. When backing in the Ody, we stop so that the pillar is just behind the driver door and at the front of the left sliding door, giving access to both left doors.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Garage Parking

Maybe you should try to angle your pilot so that the front of the car is further away from the post, and the car is parked at an angle in the garage. This is how we park our 2 cars in our two car garage. Our garage has no post though.
Or, you could shore up the garage structure and get rid of the post altogether, or move it to another location!:2:

EDR

·
Registered
747 Posts
can I open the rear door from inside?

I mean I can unlock it, But can I open it from inside? You know why I am asking this question in this thread, right?:D

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: after my pilot and IS got the ding from the post (which was effectively repaired by dent wizrds), I make sure to park it enough that I can open the doors widely and minimize the dings!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Re: can I open the rear door from inside?

timchen said:
I mean I can unlock it, But can I open it from inside? You know why I am asking this question in this thread, right?:D
Be careful about that too! Our Pilot's rear door will hit the metal handle on the garage door when opened in the garage!!!:rolleyes:

I did it once!:eek: I left a small blemish on the H logo. :mad:

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Parking

I have a small two stall garage,and my wife has a full size car.What I do is park on the right hand side,I pull in 95% on the way and turn the wheel hard right, This allows me to open the drivers side door without hitting her car. Try it it works for us

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling on a string, and adjusted the height so that when the windshield touches the tennis ball, the car is positioned so that both the front and rear doors can be fully opened without hitting the post...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try Toys are Us

Try this two dollar fix.

I went to Toys are Us and bought one of those the little foam tubes that kids float on in their swimming pools (you know - they're about three inches in diameter and six feel long). Hang it up with string and then you can just bang away with your car door - it dents the foam (which repairs itself after a few hours) but you never have to worry about nicking the door edges.

JJ

By the way - I inserted a broom stick down the hollow center of the foam of mine so it would keep it's shape but that's probably not necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I noticed 2 items that we might be buying once we finally get the Pilot.

http://www.manhonda.com/ap/index.cfm?Level=28&PG=3&PID=265

We have the exact same problem. I am thinking that we will need to be very careful to position the pole right at the spot between the 2 doors. So that the front door will swing in front of the pole and the back door will not open up far enough to hit it. The above item might help to properly position the car front to back and maybe even side to side.

The item below is just to protect the other side of the car (in our case driver's side) but the idea above about using the swimming "noodle" works too.

http://www.manhonda.com/ap/index.cfm?Level=28&PG=3&PID=263

1 - 18 of 18 Posts