Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Piloteers!
Well, I have joined your ranks. I have bought a '07 EXL for 7,000 yesterday from a sort of family member (in-law of a niece) who has a used car lot. We see each other at kids' birthday parties so I felt someone safe with that, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. It has 129K Miles. The car I had is out of commission so I took it yesterday and he agreed I could bring it back next week and he would have his mechanic put a timing belt on it free of charge as it has never had one put on it. I thought that was a stand-up move. Well, after I drove off lot, I noticed it sluggish, then a guy next to me pointed to my front passenger tire and it was smoking! I realized the parking brake was still engaged as I smelled burning. I had probably driven half a mile. Went back to lot. He was apologetic. He punched the parking brake (no light was on) and then it drove like a dream. We tested it again and it did the same number -- stuck but if I punched and it drove great. Seems to happen every time it starts up. He said when they do the timing belt his mechanic will fix. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Do you think I should shell out the dough for a pre-purchase inspection just in case there are any other surprises? I have til like Tuesday before the mechanic can work on it. Is there something I'm not doing right with the start up? I read something online about you should put the parking brake on and then start or is it vice versa? LOL! Any advice or tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Welcome @Henry67 ...could be a decent purchase but used vehicles should always be checked out i.e: brake issue that popped up. Being an informed purchaser or having a trusted mechanic will help a lot. Pilots are well designed reliable vehicles that just need some TLC to keep them going. Prior maintenance or lack of will become your responsibility now that it’s yours. Lots of good info& tips here to help you keep it rolling.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,787 Posts
Right, get it checked by a trusted mechanic. The guy seems stand-up, which is good, but it will give you peace of mind. Even if he finds other things, you'll be better off knowing what needs attention. There is no parking brake in the front, so just that would be a good reason to have the vehicle looked at. I say the best $100 bucks you can spend on a used vehicle is on a pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
513 Posts
Sounds like a stuck caliper piston and is not related to the parking break at all, since the parking brake pedal only activates the rear drums, and not any of the 4 calipers that grab your rotors. You probably cooked your rotor and pads, and likely need a new caliper as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, went to a brake place and they did an inspection and they have determined they need to rebuild my emergency brake. Someone on Reddit had suggested pumping it 20 times (suspected it had to do with e-brake cable) and that seemed to help a lot but I went on to the mechanic to have it checked out. Left truck. They had a hard time replicating what I was even talking about. I had to go back to show them (I swear I'm not crazy!). First time I tried it did it again. Then manager said, "Oh, it's catching on left rear." His initial thought was it is was some spring but then called and said they had to "rebuild the whole e-brake" (whatever that means). Reasonable price to be done with the headache. Amazingly said everything else looked okay. Parts will be there Sunday to do. Thanks for advice!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,787 Posts
Could be. Or could be all you need to do is regrease the emergency brake cable.

That's why I make a habit of regularly using my ebrake whenever I park, unlike a lot of people I see. Keeps it from seizing up or rusting into place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts