Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a method for adjusting a parking brake on the 2018 pilot all wheel drive?

I'm used to having a manual transmission where you can put it neutral, engine off, to spin the rear wheel to listen for the shoes brushing the brake surface. How do you do this with AWD models?

The Elite has a foot pedal for the parking brake, is the adjuster nut for the cable near the pedal?

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
732 Posts
From this site and the blow-up of the rear parking brake, it appears there is an adjustment you make which pushes the drums outward for better hold.

I had found this link on another post or different forum and it is very useful. Just click on Honda, Pilot, Brakes, Parking Brake and then in the lower right click to expand the parts shown. Not sure about the cable tension, but most parking brakes that use a cable have an equalizer nut under the car body that can be adjusted to take slack out of the cable.

Automotive Reference Guide

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why do you feel that they need to be adjusted? Only time the drum brakes pads are used is when the parking brake is set. They should last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Here is a diagram of the parking brake cable. You can see the adjustment nut where the cable splits off for the right and left side wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
They won’t last the life of the vehicle if they are inadvertently engaged while driven. My wife and I had to adjust the parking brake at the rear wheels of our 2005 Pilot a couple years back.

·
Registered
337 Posts
star wheel adjuster on them. They are like old school normal drum shoes. Turn the star wheel, they tighten. Using just the cable stretches it an limits travel of pedal.

Click on that auto reference guide link and then click the picture 1-2 times. It's labelled as adjuster assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts