Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Pilot has been an excellent vehicle until about 2 months ago. My wife was driving and said a "puff" of smoke came out of the engine kind of smelt like electrical. It than started making weird clicking noises. When I got home I took a look to set if I could find any burn marks, leaking of fluids, cut wires or just anything out of the normal. I found absolutely nothing wrong other than the oil about a quart low but we had just got back from a long road trip so I topped off. The next day I went to start and the battery was dead as can be no lights came on at all. Replaced the battery and everything went back to normal until about two days ago when the battery was dead again. Took the battery back for a few replacement also took it to get the alternator checked and it showed everything was fine. Next day brand new battery dead again boosted it and took it to have the alternator checked again and this time they told me it was bad. Went home pulled the alternator or and had a guy feeling to have it checked before buying a new one. It passed every test. I went back home and put it back in got my multimeter and started testing noticed the battery would be at 12.6 when turned off than would start dropping and a steady pace. Figured I would leave it overnight and test then. The morning test have me a 12.1 reading. I did the parasitic test with my multimeter and it's not reading a draw when the car is off. I tested the a/c compressor clutch relay and it's fine. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am at a complete loss I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow but will more than likely give them $100 to tell me nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Puff of smoke - did you check under compressor for oily residue to confirm that the system vented? That would also have a burning smell from what hit the exhaust. Between the puff and dead battery I would just change the AC relay since it can be had for under $10.

I had the puff and the relay seemed to be working just fine. But since it is an intermittent relay issue and the relay is 7 years old now, I would just replace it and then see if anything happens.

Or if you want to test it before you replace it, just pull the relay after you turn car off and see if your battery is drained the next day since it seems to be dead every morning. If after a couple of days your battery has no issues, then just pop in a new relay.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you did a parasitic draw test and saw zero current flow, than you didn't do it correctly.
You should see about 50-70 mA current flow. Check your meter settings as well as make sure your using the correct inputs on the meter. There is also a fuse inside a multimeter that will blow if you pass to much current through it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the AC relay two days ago and the draw is still happening. As far as the test I did get a reading of around 40 or 50 ma just nothing out of the normal. I guess I will just see what the dealership says tomorrow. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they told me it was the AC relay which it is not because I already tested it and it's not. They replaced and this morning I am still getting a draw. What should the typical reading the battery should be at after sitting overnight? I am reading 12.26 which I know is low because it read 12.65 when I parked it. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There was a Honda recall a few years ago for parasitic losses caused by the Sunroof control logic unit. For Pilots of our age. My 2010 was not affected, so I didn't have it done.
Did yours qualify ?? Was it done ??
Maybe pull the sunroof relay overnight ?

And any battery showing 12.1V is less than 50% charged. I generally reckon 12.7-12.8V is full, 12.2V is 50%.
If that drew down overnight that's a hell of a current draw.
Geek Stuff:
Our OEM batteries are rated at 72AH on the usually-used 20hr discharge schedule.
That means it'll supply 72/20 or about 3.5Amps for 20 hours theoretically. Less in practice, usually.
To drop to 50% overnight (10-12hrs) suggests you have a 2-3A draw ???
That kinda sounds like the AC clutch ?

Good luck - and please let us know the results. Every bit of info helps.
Jeremy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little update an twist with everything. Decided to use the vehicle today for running around town ran fine all day started fine after each stop. Until late afternoon when we got home and we're going to head out again. Went to start it and it was dead as can be. So not only a overnight draw but maybe a short or something. The battery measured at 13.5 so it got over charged I guess not really sure what's going on. Taking it to the dealership on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday.

·
Registered
540 Posts
A battery voltage will settle overnight after use. If you charge the battery, then it can have an excess charge that burns off after some time sitting or when first used. Conversely, if you were just using your battery (i.e. opened door which turned on headlights), then the voltage will slowly increase as it recovers from the usage. When I am checking voltage, I normally pop the hood so I can check the battery in the morning without opening the door or triggering any other battery usage. Otherwise you should wait a few hours for it to settle again.

While the engine is running, the alternator charges at ~14.3v so after the car is turned off, the battery can ready higher than 12.6-12.7v before it has a chance to settle down.

Do you have a stand alone charger or are you driving the car around to charge the battery? I use a ctek charger for a reliable charge and so I can make sure the battery is fully charged before I rely on any observations. You could also remove the battery from the car and see how it behaves without any draw. If it is dropping to the low 12 volts on it's own then there is something wrong with your new battery. Hopefully it is under warranty still.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been leaving the hood open and just checking the battery from time to time. We have not used the vehicle much lately because of this issue. I checked it this morning and it has dropped to 12.7. I have not used a battery charger but would just start the vehicle to keep it charged.

I have also disconnected it and tested it separately and it hooks a constant charge.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If the battery is settling at 12.6-12.7v after being disconnected for several hours then it should be good. However, none of that explains why the car didn't start when the battery was reading 13.5v (did I read that right?). When you say dead as can be, do you mean the interior lights didn't even come on? Or just that it couldn't start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I should be getting my vehicle back today after being with them for just about a week. Last week I was looking around some more on it and discovered the positive connector on the battery was a little bit loose for some reason although it was fully tightened. So they are replacing full for me. The only reason I am having them do it is because it will be for no additional cost because they misdiagnosed it in the first place. Hopefully this will be the problem and no other situation will come from it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue other than the puff of smoke. Came outside one morning and the battery was dead. Figured it was due the battery was over 4 years old so I bought another one. Came home replaced it then went to work. It sat for eight hours and the battery died. After I got a jump the car say for another day and the battery died again. Then I put a trickle charge on it and ran many diagnostic checks I even took it to my local Honda expert and couldn't find anything wrong. So I brought the car home and it hasn't died since (knock on wood). I believe it has something to do with the GPS and it trying to require the satellites. The only thing I could suggest is to re-input your stereo and if you have your GPS codes and let the car idle in an open area for 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have the same issue going on with mind..same puff of smoke and everything so please let me know if the battery terminal replacement solved your problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2009 Pilot has been an excellent vehicle until about 2 months ago. My wife was driving and said a "puff" of smoke came out of the engine kind of smelt like electrical. It than started making weird clicking noises. When I got home I took a look to set if I could find any burn marks, leaking of fluids, cut wires or just anything out of the normal. I found absolutely nothing wrong other than the oil about a quart low but we had just got back from a long road trip so I topped off. The next day I went to start and the battery was dead as can be no lights came on at all. Replaced the battery and everything went back to normal until about two days ago when the battery was dead again. Took the battery back for a few replacement also took it to get the alternator checked and it showed everything was fine. Next day brand new battery dead again boosted it and took it to have the alternator checked again and this time they told me it was bad. Went home pulled the alternator or and had a guy feeling to have it checked before buying a new one. It passed every test. I went back home and put it back in got my multimeter and started testing noticed the battery would be at 12.6 when turned off than would start dropping and a steady pace. Figured I would leave it overnight and test then. The morning test have me a 12.1 reading. I did the parasitic test with my multimeter and it's not reading a draw when the car is off. I tested the a/c compressor clutch relay and it's fine. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am at a complete loss I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow but will more than likely give them $100 to tell me nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
My problem turned out to be the radio.
So how did you fix it? Replaced the radio, or something inside it, or a connection?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts