Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many kinds of paint out there. Has anyone painted their wheel covers? 2007 Pilot....I'm guessing they're plastic. Looking for whats worked. Many thanks. Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
I actually just painted a set of 16" that I'll be using for my winter tires. I used Rustoleum truck bed liner, a youtuber did it on his Pilot rims and says they're holding up well, so I'm giving them a try.

I previously used Dupli-Color® Hi-Build Fleet Coating that I left laying around, after 2 season of winter it still looked good but there were enough chips here to bother me so I repainted them. I'll do another light coat...depending on how much the tire installer mess them up. lol

I think any automotive paint will work for wheel covers, how well they adhere mainly depends on how you prepare them. Stores do sell spray paints for wheels that are heat resistant if you're concerned about that.

IMG_20201010_110434.jpg IMG_20201010_110454.jpg IMG_20201010_110511.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Krylon “Fusion” is made specifically for plastic.
Thank you!
I actually just painted a set of 16" that I'll be using for my winter tires. I used Rustoleum truck bed liner, a youtuber did it on his Pilot rims and says they're holding up well, so I'm giving them a try.

I previously used Dupli-Color® Hi-Build Fleet Coating that I left laying around, after 2 season of winter it still looked good but there were enough chips here to bother me so I repainted them. I'll do another light coat...depending on how much the tire installer mess them up. lol

I think any automotive paint will work for wheel covers, how well they adhere mainly depends on how you prepare them. Stores do sell spray paints for wheels that are heat resistant if you're concerned about that.

View attachment 140815 View attachment 140816 View attachment 140817
Outstanding results. Many thanks!! Should one sand the covers first

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would thing a gooooood cleaning with soap/water would be sufficient. There’s instructions on the paint can.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Thanks! Do they suggest sanding the covers first?? I'm thinking they'll be scratched? Thank you.
I would thing a gooooood cleaning with soap/water would be sufficient. There’s instructions on the paint can.
It's usually recommended to scuff up the surface so that any paint/primer you apply has more surface area to grip onto thus enhancing durability. A thorough cleaning with a degreaser will be key regardless. After you paint it, you won't see the "scuffs" you made and if you strip it later, can use a plastic polish to remove, or work yourself up the different grits by wet-sanding, though if your going to paint it, should not expect to revert back to the original finish (unless using Plasti-dip).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's usually recommended to scuff up the surface so that any paint/primer you apply has more surface area to grip onto thus enhancing durability. A thorough cleaning with a degreaser will be key regardless. After you paint it, you won't see the "scuffs" you made and if you strip it later, can use a plastic polish to remove, or work yourself up the different grits by wet-sanding, though if your going to paint it, should not expect to revert back to the original finish (unless using Plasti-dip).
Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party but better late then ugly amiright?!? Lol. I used plasti-dip and blacked out all the (plastic) chrome and did the stock wheels. I've had it on for 7 months. Taken it through numerous car washes both touchless and with brushes (don't judge me ). So far nothing has peeled off or chipped. The true test will be this winter, with all the snow, ice and chemicals. I'll do an update in the spring. Anyway the process was almost too easy and if you don't like it you can peel just peel it off ( so they say) and do it again. I clear coated it with the plasti-dip glosser and it looks really nice. There are YouTube videos on how to do this. The color options are slim but there is little commitment and it was inexpensive. 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Taken it through numerous car washes both touchless and with brushes (don't judge me ).
Did you also paint your calipers? That's the automotive equivalent of toenail polish.

I am judging you. :p

Looking good. :)

Keep us posted come springtime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts