Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever stripped the paint off their valve covers and repainted them? I was halway through my valve adjustment today and I took the valve covers aside to clean them and got some B12 Chemtool carb cleaner on the paint, which promptly cause the paint to bubble up and peel off about half of it. So I went ahead and stripped all the paint off, but now I've got a bare-metal valve cover and figure I need to paint it to avoid rust and corrosion.

But what kind of paint should I use? I've got some professional-grade Rustoleum that's supposedly good up to 300 degrees F, and a can of automotive primer, but it says it's not supposed to go above 200 degrees F. And I don't have a clear topcoat.

I can't drive anywhere to get more paint, so I'll have to order some and Amazon can deliver it Monday. Any suggestions on type?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Has anyone ever stripped the paint off their valve covers and repainted them? I was halway through my valve adjustment today and I took the valve covers aside to clean them and got some B12 Chemtool carb cleaner on the paint, which promptly cause the paint to bubble up and peel off about half of it. So I went ahead and stripped all the paint off, but now I've got a bare-metal valve cover and figure I need to paint it to avoid rust and corrosion.

But what kind of paint should I use? I've got some professional-grade Rustoleum that's supposedly good up to 300 degrees F, and a can of automotive primer, but it says it's not supposed to go above 200 degrees F. And I don't have a clear topcoat.

I can't drive anywhere to get more paint, so I'll have to order some and Amazon can deliver it Monday. Any suggestions on type?
Aluminum can be problematic. You might look and see if there's a paint specific for aluminum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
  • High heat spray paint that resists temperatures up to 2000°F
  • Custom paint for exhaust, headers with rust, corrosion protection
  • Fast dry enamel spray paint covers up to 10 sq. ft. per can

($8.78 /can)

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
You have a great opportunity to do something like the red valve covers that top so many Hondas (and Ferraris). Sadly the plastic engine cover will hid all your work though..... :(

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
You have a great opportunity to do something like the red valve covers that top so many Hondas (and Ferraris). Sadly the plastic engine cover will hid all your work though..... :(
Yeah, under the hood a Honda Pilot is never going to look like this.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took an Uber to autozone and got the materials. $50 for the round trip, and $45 for the supplies. So that little can of carb cleaner was a $100 mistake. I've learned my lesson, no solvents near anything painted.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a question: why is the front valve bank nice and clean while the rear bank has a horrible rusty brown varnish color on everything?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Reactions: Daltongang

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
Best explanation I was told was heat. Front head stays cooler than the back. Another reason why I'm switching to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil.
Best explanation I was told was heat. Front head stays cooler than the back. Another reason why I'm switching to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil.
One of the reasons I always like in line engine instead of transverse engines. They are usually easier to work on as well.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
One of the reasons I always like in line engine instead of transverse engines. They are usually easier to work on as well.
🤔 My BMW is not easy to work on, so I'll rest heavily on your use of the word "usually."

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
🤔 My BMW is not easy to work on, so I'll rest heavily on your use of the word "usually."
Hey you are the one that bought a Bavarian Money Waster, so don't cry to me.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No Candy Apple Red? Boo!
Maybe next time. I didn't paint the rear one, but it has big flakes of paint coming off, so if I ever remove the covers again, I'll strip it and paint it. Might have to redo this one since I have no idea how well it will hold up against the heat. Three coats of self etching primer, 3 coats of silver high temp enamel, and 3 coats of clear high temp topcoat.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
It can be if you don't maintain them yourself.
Fell hard for a Bring My Wallet inline X3 temptress. She was only ridden for 12K and with a super low bid she was mine.
But then you can't drive them anywhere and park without tempting fate to Break My Windows.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts