Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I would call the "hoppy" method since hoppy posted how he accomplished his painted calipers and I simply followed his intructions. Here is a blow by blow for those who are also considering painting theirs.

1. The ingredients and before shot:
- paint brush
- pain thinner
- paper towels
- tin foil
- caliper paint ($4.99 at Advanced Auto Parts)
(you can also use engine paint)
- a container to spray your paint in

2. Jack the pilot up and remove the wheel in accordance with the users manual. Make sure you use the lift point under the vehicle.

3. Slide tin foil between the caliper and the brake rotor to protect it from paint splatters. Wrap the foil around the rest of the rotor.

4. Use pain thinner to clean up dirt and grease off of the caliper. That's what came off of mine.

5. Don't use a foam cup. Paint went right through mine. Best is to cut up a soda can. Spray the paint in the can and use the brush to carefully paint the caliper.

6. I live in a humid area (Atlanta), so I used a hair dryer between coats to dry it up well.

7. Completed caliper without the wheel.

8. Results.

- Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ben
Nice job. If you're ever in the Harrisburg, PA area stop by, I've got another Silver Pilot that would also look good with red calipers.
Banning

·
Registered
149 Posts
bjdurand, Nice job. You should get alot of compliments from people--I did. I keep it clean everytime I wash the wheels by spraying them with cleaners and use a old tooth brush to reach in there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: What?

SteveLuman said:
Great!!!!

Now all that you need are some curb feelers, red windshield wipers and Huggy Bear......
Awe c'mon! It's a trivial cosmetic addition. You can't tell me that's the first thing you notice!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm sure the added downforce from that spoiler is great, but doesn't it mess with the VTM-4 sensors? Also, I highly recommend a "Type R" vinyl logo across the hood.

Seriously, the painted calipers look great!

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xyzzy said:
I'm sure the added downforce from that spoiler is great, but doesn't it mess with the VTM-4 sensors? Also, I highly recommend a "Type R" vinyl logo across the hood.

Seriously, the painted calipers look great!

Chris
Thanks!

Actually, those are variable swept-wings running boards that deploy to give the Pilot flight if I go fast enough, kinda like my own F-14 Tomcat ;)

Seriously, the calipers are the only rice-boy add-on I plan on having. It's quite subtle (I think).

- Ben

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't you need to lower it about 5" for the wing to help. You don't want to throw off your center of gravity! You could add the ground lights at the same time!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
banningjr said:
Don't you need to lower it about 5" for the wing to help. You don't want to throw off your center of gravity! You could add the ground lights at the same time!
Uh guys,

I hope you realize this is just a made up picture ;)

- Ben

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am also kinda shocked about painting them red......... it's a PILOT not a Mustang BULLITT!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I hope you realize this is just a made up picture
So that means no F-16 wings? Of course it's made up, the rims are still stock!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts