Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I have Havasu blue Pilot- From the road stones sometimes chip or nick the paint which is typical however when you wash the car the middle plastic door panel moldings peel. The paint just peels right off using a regular garden hose. A small nick turns into a large spot bare of any paint. You would need a quart of touch up paint to repair it. The dealer and the Honda rep. tried to pass this off as normal and my problem. The dealer auto body rep stated there was a processing step missed when painting the panels at the factory. Anyone else with this problem??

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sandra,
I am sorry to hear about your paint problem. That is definitely a problem that needs to be address. Try another Honda Dealership they might be a little bit more helpful.

The ends on my side molding doors also chipped a little too easy. But this might be my fault when I try to squeeze out of the Pilot in the garage. I did not know the Pilot was just a little bit too wide.

Paint pealing with a garden hose is just not right. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Brenda,

No this is not normal. What dealer told you that it was? If I were you I would not accept their suggestion that this is normal and would contact the district rep and go as high as necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a silver Pilot and experienced the same problem, although it occurred at a commercial car wash with a high pressure washer. The paint just started peeling right off the plastic side molding, in our case on the driver side door. I got pretty much the same explanation at the dealship - there was an existing scatch which allowed the high pressure water to get underneath and blast the paint off. I thought at the time this might make sense, but when you think about it, there are lots of older vehicles out there with scratches and dings, and washing doesn't cause their paint to peel off.

The dealer suggested they would touch it up at the first servicing, at my cost. I think I'll make more of an issue of this - shouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Sandra M. said:
:( I have Havasu blue Pilot- From the road stones sometimes chip or nick the paint which is typical however when you wash the car the middle plastic door panel moldings peel. The paint just peels right off using a regular garden hose. A small nick turns into a large spot bare of any paint. You would need a quart of touch up paint to repair it. The dealer and the Honda rep. tried to pass this off as normal and my problem. The dealer auto body rep stated there was a processing step missed when painting the panels at the factory. Anyone else with this problem??
This is DEFINETLY not your doing. I would call Honda customer relations and report the issue and the dealer that is clearly trying to blow you off. Then, try another dealer is town. They owe you a freshly and properly painted door...

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
664 Posts
This is not the first paint issue on the Pilot. Please do a few things.

1. Contact Honda on the 800 number.

2. Post pictures. They alway help.

3. Check the Paint Question forum here for other paint issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Paint

On my wife's Taffeta White Pilot, the paint on the side moldings appears to be thin. I no longer have access to a paint thickness gage, but I'd bet it is MUCH thinner than the body panels! It also lacks the luster (i.e. reflectance) of the body panels; again, I've lost access to a paint reflectometer but it is noticably less reflective!. I've also noticed that it has begun coming off the end of the molding - appears to be a wear phenomenon - that would strike other objects when the door is opened (the "corner" area).:confused:

·
Registered
920 Posts
And the hits just keep on coming...

Does this mean that you guys are seeing black molding under the paint???

BTW, what are your VIN #s???

·
Registered
469 Posts
Paint

I can begin to see the plastic material that comprises the side molding in the area where the "wear" has occurred! VIN is 19990...:mad: A door edge guard installed in this area would be BEHIND the molding! :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paint peeling on door plastic door moldings

Thank you to everyone for your replies. The Motorworld dealership in Wilkes-Barre, Penna. and the Honda rep. have agreed to replace three moldings at no cost on a goodwill gesture basis-one time only. I have reported the 4th panel is now peeling so I will now have to fight for this as they have ignored the report in the letter the dealership sent to me. The Honda rep. was not tremendously helpful and denied any paint problems reported to the factory on the Pilot. I may have to go public with the consumer advocate for a local television channel. Thank you again. Keep the replies coming.:(

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Paint

Older than dirt said:
On my wife's Taffeta White Pilot, the paint on the side moldings appears to be thin. I no longer have access to a paint thickness gage, but I'd bet it is MUCH thinner than the body panels! It also lacks the luster (i.e. reflectance) of the body panels; again, I've lost access to a paint reflectometer but it is noticably less reflective!. I've also noticed that it has begun coming off the end of the molding - appears to be a wear phenomenon - that would strike other objects when the door is opened (the "corner" area).:confused:
I agree that the side moldings aren't the most reflective part of the vehicle. I'm assuming that this section is plastic/fiberglass. Mine almost has a "dimpled" or "speckled" appearance to it, so I'm assuming that everyone's is that way too. Almost looks as if it is that way for a purpose - perhaps ironically its supposed to be chip resistant?! Or maybe its that way to prevent door "dings" from causing as much damage, similar to Saturns? I haven't checked the molding with the typical door height opening of an average vehicle.

I can't remember which vehicle is was on - Accord or Civic, but they painted one of the front doors, right underneath the mirror (kamikaze shopping cart), and at the very bottom, beneath the molding strip, the paint had this same appearance. I thought they said it was to help prevent the paint from being chipped by things like stones coming off the front wheels that weren't caught by the splash guard.

Hmmmm....

·
Registered
307 Posts
my white molding has 2 door dings, i have yet to use a hose on it however and now am very nervous, hope mine doesnt come flaking off as well, lets hope they get this....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: paint peeling on door plastic door moldings

Sandra M. said:
Thank you to everyone for your replies. The Motorworld dealership in Wilkes-Barre, Penna. and the Honda rep. have agreed to replace three moldings at no cost on a goodwill gesture basis-one time only. I have reported the 4th panel is now peeling so I will now have to fight for this as they have ignored the report in the letter the dealership sent to me. The Honda rep. was not tremendously helpful and denied any paint problems reported to the factory on the Pilot. I may have to go public with the consumer advocate for a local television channel. Thank you again. Keep the replies coming.:(
Hi Sandra M. and welcome to the group. Where are you from around Wilkes-Barre? I'm originally from Shavertown, PA (graduated from Dallas H.S.), and now living in Hummelstown, PA, right outside of Hershey/Harrisburg. We've been cruising around Wilkes-Barre the past two weekends with our Sandstone Pilot. That wasn't you we pulled next to in the Havasu on the Dallas Highway, was it?!

Gosh, Ertley is a big enough dealeship that I would think they could take care of this, on more than a one-time goodwill basis. I love when they use that term "goodwill gesture" as if they're doing you a big favor, when in actuality, they should be responsible for fixing the problem. I think Ertley handles just about every make/model of car out there, with very few exceptions. That's where I got my Phantom Grey Pearl Civic EX in 1994. First car I actually ever bought new. My step-sister just picked a Silver Jeep Liberty Sport from them last Tuesday night.

What channel are you thinking of going to? I can't remember which one has one of those consumer advocate guys since we're not around often enough anymore.

This is definitely not normal though. Especially not on a brand new vehicle. I think that's what Chevy's are famous for, right!? You don't have the ability to post a picture to the group, do you. I just can't even visualize this being such a big problem that all 4 of your panels are affected - that's just not right!

When you get a chance, why not add your Pilot information to Havasu's running VIN list:

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921&highlight=vin

We had two small "dings" one in the driver's side rear door, slighty back from the handle, and another one on the passenger rear wheel well, both apparently from transport. From what I understand, the truck drivers must not be that careful, because another Pilot came in to my dealership with the exact same "dings". Luckily there was no damage to the paint, and they were able to paintless dent remove them. The results were excellent.

Good luck, and keep us up to date...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soapbox and DJMoore, Thank you for your replies and I hope you keep me updated.
To Soapbox: it could have been me on the Dallas highway-did you notice the paint peeling--it looks awful. I am in the Hanover twp. area. Sandy

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sandra M. said:
Soapbox and DJMoore, Thank you for your replies and I hope you keep me updated.
To Soapbox: it could have been me on the Dallas highway-did you notice the paint peeling--it looks awful. I am in the Hanover twp. area. Sandy
Hey Sandy, it would have been the Saturday of Labor Day weekend (8/31) on the Dallas Highway, right at the light by where Back Mountain Lumber used to be and McDonalds, heading towards Dallas. I think it was around lunch time or a little before if I remember correctly. We were on our way to antique fair in Tunkhannock, when we noticed a Havasu Blue ahead of us, so we pulled along side of it. We also went to the Poconos later in the day, and were side-by-side with an Evergreen Pearl on I-81, and then we noticed another Sandstone going in the other direction. Nobody with us in had ever seen a Pilot until we brought ours in (we just picked it up the day before), so to see 3 of them in the same day was pretty cool! Wasn't looking at the paint necessarily - just looking to see if the other people in the Havasu and EGP were trying to check us out too! I can't even imagine how bad this must look. I hope everything ends up OK for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This happened to my wife's '93 teal civic. The paint pealed right of the door handle which was plastic. The car was bought as a demo but I always suspected it had been hit and was repaired, and that the part was not correctly prepped before painting. The dealer replaced the part, or at least repainted it, and it never happened again.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Argh!

This paint is REALLY ticking me off! How can a vehicle that costs this much be so dang cheap!

Someone opened their door into me today, this is the second time this has happened, and while it did not dent because it hit the strip it did take a chip out of the paint. There is no resistance to chipping what so ever on those bars. They are great as far as not denting but they can't keep their paint on. (I guess the LX does have an advantage.)

Has anyone seen anything like free form 3M clear bra that you could cut to size? I think that would be great on this piece as it would help in allowing the vehicle to still take the door hit on the pliable area yet still protect the paint from chipping. (Tim, anyone?)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Probably the clear 3M Chipguard used on the hood could be cut to cover the side paneling ... or this stuff that was posted in another post ...

PrG

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
PrG, any idea who makes this stuff? Even any contact information? This might be the way to go on the Pilot. (Of course having it bee from factory like that would be even better!) For $40 for two rolls it might be worth while. You would only need it on the two raised parts of the side garnish (? - I had to call it something.)

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Common Problem

I had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that had the body color lower cladding and had a simular problem.

Bad door dings just knicked the paint off leaving a dull grey plastic underneath. I never had the paint peel away with water but did loose some trying to inspect the dings with my finger and smooth it out.

The cladding on the Pilot doors is clearly plastic and perhaps automobile paint just does not stick well to the surface. The grill of the Jeep was body colred as well and did the same thing from a rock chip.

With the black door handles I almost would have preferred a black "rub strip" instead of the painted cladding. It might have looked nice if made to match the trim on the front and rear bumber in color.

- Jason

1 - 20 of 24 Posts