Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some silver paint overspray on my roof rack. Any idea on how to get it off???

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure, but I'd be worried about how it got there to begin with. I would think the paint work would have been done before the rack was installed!:eek:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saliv8 said:
I'm not sure, but I'd be worried about how it got there to begin with. I would think the paint work would have been done before the rack was installed!:eek:
So instead of coming back some type of worrisome commentary, do you have any sort of constructive advise???

·
Registered
176 Posts
Clay bar...

...ought to work pretty well on the rack, though if there is a large area of overspray, it will take quite a long time.

The concern over how the paint got there is valid, the whole vehicle should have been painted before the rack wqas installed, if it was delivered this way, the dealer should make it right...

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with renov8r. Get the dealer to figure out why is it that way and get them to fix it.

How much of an overspray is it ? Is it easily noticeable. I have an SS too. If you can tell me what location of the roof do you see the overspray, then I can go check on mine tonight

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a pretty small area...maybe 3 inches wide and the spray is pretty light. Any thoughts on how it might have gotton there??? The dealer has no idea.

How much would the clay bar cost???

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know if it is the same stuff but I saw Mother's Clay bar at Pep Boy's today for $18.99.

(Maybe it is the extra paint from the door jambs!:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
592 Posts
ClayBar from Zaino costs 16.95 and you can order it from http://www.zainobros.com I think they add a 6.95 S&H so you might be better off buying some other stuff with the clay-bar as well (like Z1, Z2, Z6 etc. etc.).

I am not sure how it compares to other brands of claybars.

gupt0014 said:
It's a pretty small area...maybe 3 inches wide and the spray is pretty light. Any thoughts on how it might have gotton there??? The dealer has no idea.

How much would the clay bar cost???

·
Registered
47 Posts
advise - get back on your meds...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gupt0014 said:

So instead of coming back some type of worrisome commentary, do you have any sort of constructive advise???

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: advise - get back on your meds...

Saliv8 said:
That's original :eek: Say, isn't Knoxville the mullet capital???

·
Registered
340 Posts
If it is really overspray, I don't think the clay bar will work. I have used them for several years (Griot's Garage brand), and it they are just not very abrasive.

I would try laquer thinner, being very careful not to get any on the paint. If that doesn't do it, stop by your local auto paint store or body shop and ask them. They have the proper solvents for removing it.

Also, sounds like your car was damaged in transit and the dealer had it fixed before you took delivery. Overspray does NOT come from the factory. I would press them pretty hard on this one. Personally, I would be outraged.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Threadhead said:
Also, sounds like your car was damaged in transit and the dealer had it fixed before you took delivery. Overspray does NOT come from the factory. I would press them pretty hard on this one. Personally, I would be outraged.
I agree ... but make them fix it. Don't try it yourself, even if you can do it. It should not have been delivered to you with overspray on the rails. They should do it at no cost. If you do it and screw it up, it is all on your own wallet.

I would be concerned about WHY they had to paint it after the rails where already on.

I also agree that I don't think clay bar is the answer. Clay bar is designed for surface contaminates, not paint, and is should be non-abrasive (lest it perform the opposite of its intent).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know the more I look at it, I can't tell if there is paint on the rack, or if the rack itself is not completely painted. Feeling it, there is no difference in texture. I will take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Re: advise - get back on your meds...

How did you know that? We are also famous for eating Opossum...:18:
gupt0014 said:

That's original :eek: Say, isn't Knoxville the mullet capital???

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Actually, I believe the original purpose of claybar was, in fact, for removing overspray. I've used it with success to remove overspray on parts of our GS that the housepainters so kindly left behind. Tho I'd guess that the type of paint that oversprayed might play a role in whether it comes off.

I personally would save myself a trip and claybar it. But if you don't have the claybar or inclination to DIY what the dealer should be handling, I'd ask the dealer to take care of it or ask them to pay for a detailer to do so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With only 6 miles on the car and the dealer's body shop being 4 miles away, it's not likely that the car was damaged pre-delivery.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If that is the case and the roof itself looks ok maybe you should just have them slap a new rack on it.

Unless it is on the end cap and you got cross bars. You know how they are.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep! And you can even get different bars now...

http://premiumautocare.com/detailingclay.html

Stuff works as advertised. The idea of the clay is that it makes it much more difficult to apply excessive pressure to the surface, the clay limits how much force is delivered to any one spot by deforming. The abrassive action is very minor, but just like a jeweler's rouge for gold or other soft metals, the combination of lubricant and abrassive is more effective than using a coarser grit.

TheWorm said:
Actually, I believe the original purpose of claybar was, in fact, for removing overspray. I've used it with success to remove overspray on parts of our GS that the housepainters so kindly left behind. Tho I'd guess that the type of paint that oversprayed might play a role in whether it comes off.

I personally would save myself a trip and claybar it. But if you don't have the claybar or inclination to DIY what the dealer should be handling, I'd ask the dealer to take care of it or ask them to pay for a detailer to do so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts