Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received our Black Pilot Sept. 18th. I have washed it several times in driveway or gone through the car wash at local gas stations maybe 5-8 times. There now appears to be scratch marks all over Pilot. I might expect this after owning the car for a longer period, but only a few months? We have never owned a black vehicle so maybe there is special care needed due to black showing more abrasions? HELP. Sorry if this has been addressed before, if so, please lead me to thread.

Also, we noticed after about a month the right passenger door had a bad "buff job", assumed something happened during shipment and they tried to buff out. When we took back to dealer they buffed some more, and it still looks bad, actually worse since now the buff area is larger. It has to be a really sunny day and the correct angle but it is not fun to have/look at. So is this paint defective or clear coat problem?, I would think the dealer could buff properly.

Thanks so much. What a great website!

·
Registered
920 Posts
The scratches happened when you took your car through the car wash. Anytime you take your car through a car wash, expect to get some scratches. Some so-called touchless car washes have been known to cause scratches. BTW, don’t have your dealer buff your car. Unless you get someone who actually knows what they are doing, they can end up doing more damage. Also, there were more than likely scratches on the car when you picked it up from the dealer as most of them employ the car washes that scratch the dirt right into your car. Sorry…

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Don't buy Black cars

Unless you;
1) Don't care how they look.
or,
2) Love to clean and polish often

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, black cars are notorious for showing any scratches or blemishes.

On the other hand, I would avoid white as I hear that when car manufacturers use white to hide minor physical surface defects on the car bodies from start ups.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Black shows everything - dirt, dust, scratches and swirls.

Your swirls are not a paint defect. They are a dealer or carwash defect. Probably both.

If it had "bad buffing" on the door that got worse, the dealer did it with their rotary buffer. Dealers are NOT detailers. Who do you think the LOWEST paid person is @ the dealership? The guy washing your car with a broom, and drying it with the dirty rags that are sitting on the ground.

Touchless carwashes might not touch during the wash cycle, but someone's touching it when they dry it. Dirty rags on black = swirls.

I'd suggest finding a good detailer to fix it properly for you. We could give you some swirl removal and detailing advice here, but it sounds from your description that you'd prefer to have it done (which is OK -- just have it done by someone competent :))

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome, Ashley. Sorry to hear about your paint problems. The only black car I've ever owned was a 1986 CRX Si. It was the first new car I ever bought and I was very meticulous with it. I remember feeling horrified when I first noticed those little scratches all over it.

If you're interested in doing it yourself, there are some products that will remove most of the fine scratches. I used a three step process from Meguire's professional line ( http://www.meguiars.com/ ). I started with #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner to remove the scratches, then I used #7 Show Car Glaze or #5 New Car Glaze Polish, followed by #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. I noticed that they have a #9 Swirl Remover Polish that looks like it might take the place of the first two steps. I've never used it, so I don't know if it works as well. It was a pretty grueling process for a CRX. It would probably take the better part of a day to do it on the Pilot, but worth it. The cleaner actually removes layers of clearcoat, so don't overdo it. The polish will give you a very nice shine, and the wax is for protection. As far as your door, it may require a more heavy duty cleaner, again, don't overdo it. Good luck! Black cars look great when they're shined up!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ahhh... the dilemma of having a black car... looks GREAT when it's clean, can look pretty bad when it's not. Everything shows up - dirt, dust, scratches, etc.... The Pilot is my 3rd black car, so I am kind of used to it. Just spend a little time and give a little TLC, and it'll pay off.

Just my $.02 :werd:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
But what about the "bad buff" job on the right passenger door?

That doensn't sound as though it could've been created by a regular car wash at a gas station. Also Ashley, try to find a car wash/gas station that has a brushless or clothless wash. Close to my place, there's a gas station which has a car wash involving absolutely no contact between the car and the machine, other than the water itself.

It works great for me. I just have to wipe off a few spots of water that the dryer missed once I'm through with it. What's ironic is that after a few calls, I found out that all the hand car wash places in town use cloth of some kind. They all assured me that it's the finest cloth there is, but I still don't buy it. I mean, what happens to all that dirt and grime that gets trapped in the cloth? It's not as though they change the cloth for every car that goes through the wash.

As for that buff spot you mentioned, next time you're at your dealer, find a black Pilot if you can sitting on the lot and show the differences between the doors' paint condition and ask if the buff area on your Pilot is normal. Also, mention that the area looks much worse now after the buff job the dealer performed for you. Since they're all true, I think you're perfectly within your rights to at least bring it to their attention.

·
Registered
44 Posts
color choices - HELP !!

Maybe this is in the wrong spot for this, but here goes:

I am completing my deposit form (refundable deposit, of course) as I type this note.

I am having a hard time deciding between Black; looked so good at the dealership (it was waiting for the lucky new owner to arrive and get it) or Sage Brush Pearl (my first choice, until I saw the black) :(

I have had one black car in my younger days (1988 Black Volks GTI) and have had 2 accords since (1994 Hunter Green EX-L and 1999 Dark Blue Metallic EX-L).

I am not a great washer / waxer, but am going to give it my all regardless of the new color (have been reading the DETAILING FORUM and i t has been very helpful).

I live in San Diego (yes I already know that Black cars get hot) about 5 miles from the pacific; no good snow here like in the shots from a2Pilot.

As always I expect nothing but your humble, or not so-humble, opinions and advice.

thanks, Gary

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: But what about the "bad buff" job on the right passenger door?

RipRocK said:
That doensn't sound as though it could've been created by a regular car wash at a gas station.
No, they're prolly from the rotary buffer they used during prep, then during fix.

·
Registered
92 Posts
SoCalGary....yes, I know you already know about black cars getting hot....but really, for me, it is a very critical factor.

The reason i specifically only buy white cars are:

1. I live in Southern Cal. and its fricken hot. Every dark color I had when I was younger had a paint-peel problem on the engine hood after several years. (These cars where purchased new in the 70's and 80's. Maybe the paint process today is better - I dont know)

2. White does not show dirt/scratches etc as easy.

3. Since white reflects, it has been said that it is easier to spot on the road. Unless you live in snow of course. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

4. I guess I just like white.

5. see #1

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dark Colors

It is not just the Black that shows the swirls, it is just the most obvious. It's the nature of the color and only if you have the time and patience to put into the car does it stay in great shape. I spent too many hours on my black Tacoma and my wifes Currant Accord to get another dark color in the Pilot. That is ultimately what led me to the Silver. (Even though Sage was REALLY tough to turn down, OK I couldn't wait until Sept. when the Silver showed up in June.) I used primarily Meguairs 3 step on the Tacoma twice a year with just the regular Gold Class waxings in between. It kept it pretty nice. I have been using the same on the Accord but had early on made the mistake of taking it through a 'brushless' scratch wash. That was about it for the nice finish on that car. The Pilot will not see one of those.

If I had to pick the colors based on ease of taking care of them this would be the list:

Silver
Sandstone
Havasu

White
Evergreen
Redrock

Sagebrush
Black

This would be based on the ease of keeping them clean and their propensity to show dirt. Of course it's all an opinion.

As far as the buff marks I would think the dealership would at least offer to take the Pilot to a good body shop to get it cleaned and buffed properly. Of course there is not much of anything they can do for the carwash damage.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts