Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very careful not to follow big trucks closely so they don't throw stuff on my vehicle and chip the paint. So, I am wondering why my sandstone Pilot has silver spots about 2mm in diameter on the hood, front, and one door?

Is this something I can bring up as a warranty issue, or are they going to tell me that I am just getting pelleted with rocks from vehicles in front of me...too bad, so sad?

I love my Pilot, but I am not happy with all of this paint chipping. :3:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
catbert said:
I am very careful not to follow big trucks closely so they don't throw stuff on my vehicle and chip the paint. So, I am wondering why my sandstone Pilot has silver spots about 2mm in diameter on the hood, front, and one door?

Is this something I can bring up as a warranty issue, or are they going to tell me that I am just getting pelleted with rocks from vehicles in front of me...too bad, so sad?

Are they "even" spots like worn or jagged like a rock hit. Are they all the same? This is crazy... :confused:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
catbert said:

Oh man, that's a real bummer. I looked over my paint pretty well the other day, but didn't see anything like those spots. But, then again, my Pilot's silver and silver marks might be disguised.....

Have any other Sandstone owners out there noticed anything similar with their paint? Or owners of any other color, for that matter? Catbert, I know you mean it when you say you keep your distance from trucks, so it's hard to see how it could be rocks and debris being tossed up that are causing those marks. Does anybody else in your family drive the Pilot?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: Paint is chipping

Ziploc said:
Oh man, that's a real bummer. I looked over my paint pretty well the other day, but didn't see anything like those spots. But, then again, my Pilot's silver and silver marks might be disguised.....

Have any other Sandstone owners out there noticed anything similar with their paint? Or owners of any other color, for that matter?
Yep, I have a few small paint chips on my Pilot, especially on the forward side of my front bumper and on around the grill area as well. We get alot of sand and grit on the roads during the winter courtesy of the city, so, that's where mine came from. It's something you just have to accept, living here. Plan to touch up the areas once I claybar and wash the car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Welcome to Age. Once a new Pilot will be an older Pilot and guess what? There will be rock chips.. Ok, I will stop crying..

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chips are circles. I wash the car at least weekly to keep road grime (salt, sand, etc) from eating the paint. I also keep a huge distance between me and big trucks. So much so that two or three cars will pull between me and the truck. (More power to 'em!)

I guess I will have to get a paint stick. I hate those things though. I am not good with them.

I just think that a vehicle that has been owned for only 9 months should not have paint chipping off.

:3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the sandstone also, and thought my paint really got hammered this winter. I have numerous marks on my front bumper area, and some real nasty ones on the hood. So many, so quickly, that I was wondering if the paint was somehow 'softer' than my other vehicles.

I also try to be careful about following distance, but probably not quite as much as catbert.

The solution to the problem for me was to get the full mask. Now it's all covered, and looks pretty good also. I think I'm going to remove the hood portion of the mask and replace with an air deflector in the summer, then put the hood portion of the mask back on when the weather gets nasty.

With the hood portion of the Honda full mask, because of the shape of the hood, there is a huge gap on each side of the mask where debris and water will collect. That will be problematic, which is why I'm going to get an air deflector for most of the year. Then cover up the hood paint for the nastiest 2 months.

·
Registered
483 Posts
catbert said:

Try running your finger nail gently thru the affected area, if you can feel a slight depression in this area then it is most likely rock chips, if running your finger across this area and you cannot feel anything at all, then the silver spots you see could be under the clearcoat and should be a warranty issue. Rock chips of course will not be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on my Pilot.
Granted, we've had a really bad winter but it's chipped up pretty badly for a year old (some spots are rusting). I do have touch-up paint but I really wish I had gotten the clear paint protector put on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
BillR said:
I've noticed the same thing on my Pilot.
Granted, we've had a really bad winter but it's chipped up pretty badly for a year old (some spots are rusting). I do have touch-up paint but I really wish I had gotten the clear paint protector put on.
Touch-up paint will only mask the rust that you can see, the only way to get rid of the rust is to have the affected areas sanded and chemically treated then re-painted, this though can be costly. Touching up the chips can slow down the rust though because you are elimanating a high percentage of oxygen to get to this area. If all you have is a couple of small areas that have rust from rock chips, it will take years before the rust starts doing ro should I say showing more damage that what you see now. The problem is that even if you went the expensive wat and had the hood repainted, you could get more rock chips the next trip down the freeway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just found a chip on the front edge of my hood that's starting to show some rust. :mad:

After looking around the forums, am thinking of getting the Action Chip Kit. It claims to remove rust and seal off/prevent further rusting.

Wonder if anyone has any experience with this or have any advice to offer. ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts