Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here few pictures of my progression on paint correct and ceramic coating the Pilot. I started with sonax ex cut 05-05 due to heavy love mark from previous owner. Had to use Rupes cutting pad and microfiber cutting both 3” pads. Learn the 5” was bit hard to do with the contour of the side panels. Trim was coated with Gtechniq trim. Body was coated with Gtechniq CSL 1 layer and exo4 2 layers. Windows also coated with nanolex sealant all around. Whole front end was ppf wrap with hexis which I did myself no pre cut. Wheels also coated with combo CSL and Exo4.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
That looks fabulous. Nice job.

Was the "heavy love mark" just a superficial scuff on the clear coat? Did you have to follow the heavy cut with something lighter, or does the Sonax buff out clear enough that you can coat immediately?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks fabulous. Nice job.

Was the "heavy love mark" just a superficial scuff on the clear coat? Did you have to follow the heavy cut with something lighter, or does the Sonax buff out clear enough that you can coat immediately?
Sonax buff out clear enough to be satisfied. A lot going come down to your skill and tools also.I probably could of polish after to really refine it. As for the love mark some were deeper than others. I only did four passes two vertical and two horizontal. It daily family hauler so the less clear coat I take off the better. Not a garage queen so I would say 85-90% scratches Removal. You have to hit it in the rite angle of light to see the scratches that are left. Cause I’m the sun the coating pops. After I wiped down the Pilot clean with panel wipe I went to coating the whole car.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Can't believe I missed this before... nice work!

Reactions: PilotElite16

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm surprised you had to go that heavy. All it tool to take out 95%+ of imperfections on my '16 pilot was megs D300 and polishing pads with flex 3401 (it was really doing the trick even with griots correcting cream but I just liked d300 smell and working time). Good work regardless, especially on the ppf

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised you had to go that heavy. All it tool to take out 95%+ of imperfections on my '16 pilot was megs D300 and polishing pads with flex 3401 (it was really doing the trick even with griots correcting cream but I just liked d300 smell and working time). Good work regardless, especially on the ppf
Yeah i had to work with what i had. Plus your might not have been as bad as mine from the previous owner. I live in the North East so im sure the snow brush was whacking this paint all winter long. I just started to try the rupes wool pads and i can say finishes well and doesn't plug up like microfiber pads easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here few pictures of my progression on paint correct and ceramic coating the Pilot. I started with sonax ex cut 05-05 due to heavy love mark from previous owner. Had to use Rupes cutting pad and microfiber cutting both 3” pads. Learn the 5” was bit hard to do with the contour of the side panels. Trim was coated with Gtechniq trim. Body was coated with Gtechniq CSL 1 layer and exo4 2 layers. Windows also coated with nanolex sealant all around. Whole front end was ppf wrap with hexis which I did myself no pre cut. Wheels also coated with combo CSL and Exo4.
loved how you removed the trim for ppf wrap ! EXCELLENT !!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
loved how you removed the trim for ppf wrap ! EXCELLENT !!
Thanks i not a professional being it was my first ever at doing ppf. I took the trim off so i didnt have to cut on the paint. Also to hide the ppf better for cleaner install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lately I have read a lot of reviews about ceramic coating. Is it really so good? What is your opinion? For example here are a lot of articles with descriptions and reviews on https://ceramiccoatingreviews.com/ site. As I understood price tag can be between $500 and $2,000, but it's worth it! Did you have experience with such thing?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dealer put mine on and it's not that good they didnt do any prep. The prep is the biggest part. I ceramic coated my other car (duragloss enviroshield) a friends car and my parents suv (both carpro cquartz UK 3.0) all with great results. Cars clean up quicker and dont get dirty as quick. You're looking at around 6hrs wash, clay, paint correction, wash, dry, apply for a good job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lately I have read a lot of reviews about ceramic coating. Is it really so good? What is your opinion?
Depends on how well your gonna take care of you car. If your gonna just run it threw an automatic car wash with brushes and put marks rite back into it then no. Cause doing all that prep work to install then ruin it and pay for it pointless. If your really gonna take care of it after the installment then yeah. The protection it give you and some eas of cleaning is a plus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts