Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear spoiler is shot. Big pieces of clear coat are gone & flake off whenever I wash & wax. See pics. Anyone have any luck and/or recommendations for an approriate spray or can of clear coat to seal it? Thanks.
002.JPG

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I had to goi out in my garage and look at out 08 SE.
Yep, it's got one.
I'm not tall enough to see the top though. Bottom looks fine. Sorry, no help

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Through prep work prior to DIY painting will improve the overall appearance. The flaking clear coat/finish needs to be sanded down to a consistent smooth surface, repainted and clear coated.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
If you just want a "patch job", then I'd advise wet sanding it with 3000 grit until the edges of the pealed away clear coat are pretty much flush with the base color. Or if you pealed away the loose paint, could use compound on it instead to try and not hurt the base paint during the process. Then afterwards apply some 2k Clear Coat, a nice wax or ceramic coating related product.

If you want to do it properly, you'll need to remove the spoiler, then you'll need to strip all the paint off, find a matching base coat color for your vehicle at your local auto-parts store, and a suitable primer. Then after thorough cleaning with alcohol and allowing it to flash off, spray the primer on in very thin and even coats to avoid "runs". Better to make 5-7 light passes, than 2-3 thick coats, as your more likely to have runs. Then repeat with your base color, and again with the clear. If you do it improperly and get "runs", let it dry thoroughly, then use sandpaper to remove it till it blends in with the rest of the paint (which you'll want to scuff up with that same grit sandpaper). Then resume applying the thin coats as necessary. Once your done applying all the clear coats, would advise wet sanding with 3k or higher grit sandpaper to remove any "orange peel", then buff it out with some compound/polish, and then apply a ceramic coating of some sort, such as Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
A basic fine wet sanding will soften those flaking edges. However, to respray it would be a bit of work due to the fact that you'll have to protect all the surrounding bodywork from overspray.

I did successfully replace and repaint a grill from my 2005 Billet Silver and it was difficult to see if it wasn't original. Of course you could remove the spoiler to repaint it, but I doubt I would do that. www.paintscratch.com

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Once it snows you will not see it anyway.
I would hit it with 280, then progress to 600 wet paper, mask off and shoot a spray can of clear on it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Is your 2007's color Aberdeen Green Metallic? My daughter's 2007 is that color and it has the exact same problem, whereas mu Nighthawk Black Pearl 2006 doesn't. I wonder if it might be a problem specific to the color/spoiler material combination that year.

If you are going to fix it, I'll be vicariously watching this thread for her.

If you decide to go the route of removing the spoiler to do it, an erstwhile member, @MyHondaFix, made this helpful video. I've also attached some handy documents for the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you just want a "patch job", then I'd advise wet sanding it with 3000 grit until the edges of the pealed away clear coat are pretty much flush with the base color. Or if you pealed away the loose paint, could use compound on it instead to try and not hurt the base paint during the process. Then afterwards apply some 2k Clear Coat, a nice wax or ceramic coating related product.

If you want to do it properly, you'll need to remove the spoiler, then you'll need to strip all the paint off, find a matching base coat color for your vehicle at your local auto-parts store, and a suitable primer. Then after thorough cleaning with alcohol and allowing it to flash off, spray the primer on in very thin and even coats to avoid "runs". Better to make 5-7 light passes, than 2-3 thick coats, as your more likely to have runs. Then repeat with your base color, and again with the clear. If you do it improperly and get "runs", let it dry thoroughly, then use sandpaper to remove it till it blends in with the rest of the paint (which you'll want to scuff up with that same grit sandpaper). Then resume applying the thin coats as necessary. Once your done applying all the clear coats, would advise wet sanding with 3k or higher grit sandpaper to remove any "orange peel", then buff it out with some compound/polish, and then apply a ceramic coating of some sort, such as Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating.
I agree with this being probably the best DIY, you can get 100% as good as factory IF you do all the prep right. Also the 2K clear - Full painters suit with hood, googles, respirator and gloves. Don't get it on your skin, in your eyes and if you get it in your lungs or any person/animal near you, bye bye. I have used it at home under a tarp spray booth after sending the wife, kids and pets for ice cream to keep them safe. After it is sprayed and kicked you're fine to remove all the PPE and let folks back near. Only nasty while airborne for like 5-10 min.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts