Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone gotten this error before and done the sensor replace?
I just got this error a few days ago, first check engine I've got on my '11 Pilot after owning it since March 2015. It might just mean the oil is low. Mine is complaining about Bank 2. I called the dealer after searching online and found it might need a software update and then clear the check engine codes. If the CEL comes back on after that then the rocker arm oil pressure switch in the front which is Bank 2 will need to be replaced. They want $92 + tax to do the software upgrade and if it doesn't end up needing the update and already has the current software version then they'll charge a $60 diagnostic fee. If it ends up needing the part they charge over $200 parts/labor to install it, wow! They then transferred me to parts and the part is only $37 + the $3 'O' ring. 11-033 is the Honda Service Bulletin about it. I have an appointment at the dealership for the software upgrade tomorrow morning so we'll see what happens. Check your oil and see if it's low before you do anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did the software update at the dealer this morning, they only charged me $67, I wonder if they really even did it, lol. They quoted me $190 to change the rocker arm oil pressure switch which is the sensor it needs if the check engine comes back on for code P3497. This video is amazing! I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for that vid! I just got this code the other day; turns out my oil level was low. It was due for an OC anyway, so I did that this morning and will continue to monitor

·
Registered
2 Posts
P3497 still on

I have the same 2011 honda pilot and the code come on about two week. I replace the oil, fresh new oil and at the correct level. I also replace the oil pressure switch. Then take the car to the stealer and did recommend the update base on bullet service 11-033. The engine light still come on and when accelerate the VTM-4 light also come on. ASAP the VTM-4 light on the car engine is shaking like dying. Any help?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having the same issue on my 2010 Pilot. I first got the "Check Fuel cap" message after a week - the CEL/VTM4 combo showed up. My code also read misfire on #2 and #4 cylinder. I recently replaced the plugs and the gasket on the spool valve in which the Bank 2 sensor sits. I wonder if I need to re-gap the plugs on #2 and #4 but I plan to buy the the VVT pressure switch. Hopefully that is all I will need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P3497 still on

I have the same 2011 honda pilot and the code come on about two week. I replace the oil, fresh new oil and at the correct level. I also replace the oil pressure switch. Then take the car to the stealer and did recommend the update base on bullet service 11-033. The engine light still come on and when accelerate the VTM-4 light also come on. ASAP the VTM-4 light on the car engine is shaking like dying. Any help?
Did you solve the problem? Having the same problem with my honda pilot 2013. Changed already both switches, even changed the oil pump and it still the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had this same code on my wife's 2010 Pilot. driving doen the highway and the car threw a "Check Emissions" warning on the dash board and the check engine light came on. The car immediately proceed to run very rough. When i got home the code reader was saying bank 2 cylendars off. I reset the code turned the car off, then back on, same code. I then went andead and replaced both the rear and front sensors (figured I might as well because if one went out the other may not be far behind)..The sensors were $39 each at the local AutoZone. Once replaced, I reset the codes again, pulled the key out, and then started the car. Problem and code gone. You will need a 24mm deap socket to get them off / on due to the plastic connector. Car is back to normal now. Thanks for the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts