Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i still get P3400 code even after changing the engine oil and rear oil pressure switch. I got tired of it so i disconnected the connector to the switch and now code has not comeback again. Can i leave it disconnected long term?

If i decide to connect it again, can a VCM muzzler prevent P3400 from coming back?

thanks!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Causes for P3400 may include:
  1. Low engine oil level or pressure
  2. Defective valve timing control solenoid/s
  3. Open or shorted cylinder deactivation circuit/s
  4. Faulty PCM or PCM programming error.
I would not want my switch disconected.
The VVT oil preasure switch is a normally open switch located at the VVT solenoid. When the VTEC oil pressure switch closes, the voltage should drop to zero. This is how the PCM knows if oil pressure was applied to the VTEC system. When this system fails to operate properly the ECM may set a code.
This fix is high priority.
Have you done a VVT assembly with gasket and screen filter replacement?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Causes for P3400 may include:
  1. Low engine oil level or pressure
  2. Defective valve timing control solenoid/s
  3. Open or shorted cylinder deactivation circuit/s
  4. Faulty PCM or PCM programming error.
I would not want my switch disconected.
The VVT oil preasure switch is a normally open switch located at the VVT solenoid. When the VTEC oil pressure switch closes, the voltage should drop to zero. This is how the PCM knows if oil pressure was applied to the VTEC system. When this system fails to operate properly the ECM may set a code.
This fix is high priority.
Have you done a VVT assembly with gasket and screen filter replacement?
I have not done it yet. I am worried spending money on repairs with no guaranteed fix. I have read on some forums that P3400 just keeps coming back even after replacing oil, switch, harness and spool valve. My PCM was updated in April 2019. Do you know if there is a newer update? So far my Pilot runs good and since there is no DTC, i can now use my remote start.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I have not done it yet. I am worried spending money on repairs with no guaranteed fix. I have read on some forums that P3400 just keeps coming back even after replacing oil, switch, harness and spool valve. My PCM was updated in April 2019. Do you know if there is a newer update? So far my Pilot runs good and since there is no DTC, i can now use my remote start.
It's common for VVT solenoids along with the screen filter gasket(s) to need servicing around 200k (I did mine at 188k). I was having power loss and rough idle as a symptom. If your milage is around this, I wouldn't hesitate to replace both sides. This is an easy DIY maintainace/repair. As listed above, there are other causes. I hope that it is not low oil preasure. I don't believe an update is the issue.
What is your milage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's common for VVT solenoids along with the screen filter gasket(s) to need servicing around 200k (I did mine at 188k). I was having power loss and rough idle as a symptom. If your milage is around this, I wouldn't hesitate to replace both sides. This is an easy DIY maintainace/repair. As listed above, there are other causes. I hope that it is not low oil preasure. I don't believe an update is the issue.
What is your milage?
Mine has 251k kms on it. My oil level has been in the right range. I am not sure what parts have been changed already since i got it used. I will take a look at your suggestion. This could be the solution i am looking for. Thanks a lot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts