Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s 2012 Pilot just got a light stating to ‘check emissions system’. It seemed to go into limp home mode (low power, couldn’t get over 3500 rpm) but we did make it home. I put my code reader on it and it showed P3400 code. I’ve seen the sticky on this but most people seem to indicate that theiy are only getting the code and not actual having engine trouble.

Anyone have experience with this where the car actually has problems running? Could this be the sensor or something else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
My wife’s 2012 Pilot just got a light stating to ‘check emissions system’. It seemed to go into limp home mode (low power, couldn’t get over 3500 rpm) but we did make it home. I put my code reader on it and it showed P3400 code. I’ve seen the sticky on this but most people seem to indicate that theiy are only getting the code and not actual having engine trouble.

Anyone have experience with this where the car actually has problems running? Could this be the sensor or something else?

Thanks in advance.
What's the milage?
The only time had had a situation where the vehicle would not power up was when the vtec (vvt) solenoid started giving me problems. This occurred around 180k miles. This will cause a misfire code. This was also in conjunction with a vtec (vvt) assembly oil leak. Oil will run down past the dipstick into the alternator. This oil leak can also occur on the opposite head, drivers side.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the sensor this morning and cleared the code - seems to have worked.

Now - should I also replace the one on the other cylinder head as a preventative thing? How hard is it to get to?

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Replaced the sensor this morning and cleared the code - seems to have worked.

Now - should I also replace the one on the other cylinder head as a preventative thing? How hard is it to get to?
😁
I wouldn't. It's just one of those things that's random. If you wanted too, it's right above the dipstick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
😁
I wouldn't. It's just one of those things that's random. If you wanted too, it's right above the dipstick.
Thanks. I thought it may be one of those things where if one goes, the other is typically not far behind it. I just don't want this thing to lay down on my wife and leave her stranded. It was REALLY tough to get it home.

Doesn't this sensor have something to do with the ECO or VVT system? What happens if I unplug it (temporarily, to get the vehicle home, if it does something like that again)? Would it go into limp mode or just not have the ECO system working?

Gotta be honest, this car is pissing me off. Second time it has about stranded us in about 8 months (first was the alternator going out, and that one DID strand us). I just don't trust it anymore.

And don't get me started on the paint......

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Thanks. I thought it may be one of those things where if one goes, the other is typically not far behind it. I just don't want this thing to lay down on my wife and leave her stranded. It was REALLY tough to get it home.

Doesn't this sensor have something to do with the ECO or VVT system? What happens if I unplug it (temporarily, to get the vehicle home, if it does something like that again)? Would it go into limp mode or just not have the ECO system working?

Gotta be honest, this car is pissing me off. Second time it has about stranded us in about 8 months (first was the alternator going out, and that one DID strand us). I just don't trust it anymore.

And don't get me started on the paint......
The vtec (or vvt) switch is right next to this oil pressure switch you replaced. Unplugging any of these wouldn't help you get home any easier. If your vehicle were higher in milage, I'd recommended the full replacement of the vtec (vvt) solenoid assembly (without spool). This part includes the two gaskets, filter screen and all new solenoids. This part fits on both sides. Just be mindfull of any oil leaks that begin to show around this part.

If I could recommend anything for your Pilot, it would be to disable the VCM. This allows your engine to run on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. The eco light will no longer come on. This will be a preventive for future emission codes that are sure to come and will also prolong the life of your catalytic converters. I use S-VCM. It's important to understand how the device works and inspecting your cooling system regularly.
As your vehicle ages, yes more maintenance will need to be done. My 2012 Honda Crosstour has the same engine you have in your Pilot. It's currently at 252k miles. It's been a very reliable vehicle. I plan to run it until I can't fix it. 👨‍🔧

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
A 2012 with 98k miles, you have replaced the Timing Belt and Water Pump?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 2012 with 98k miles, you have replaced the Timing Belt and Water Pump?
Not yet. I asked about it (can't remember where) and was advised to go by the maintenance minder system. I think that stuff is due at 105K.

Even the stealership hasn't suggested it yet and they try to sell you EVERYTHING.

Plus we are considering getting rid of it. I have lost faith in the vehicle, honestly. I don't know that I have the patience to rebuild the trust.

The primary problem is that my wife hauls our son around in it, and I am afraid it is gonna die on them one day.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Not yet. I asked about it (can't remember where) and was advised to go by the maintenance minder system. I think that stuff is due at 105K.

Even the stealership hasn't suggested it yet and they try to sell you EVERYTHING.

Plus we are considering getting rid of it. I have lost faith in the vehicle, honestly. I don't know that I have the patience to rebuild the trust.

The primary problem is that my wife hauls our son around in it, and I am afraid it is gonna die on them one day.
The recomend interval is 7 years or 105k miles, which ever comes first. Time wise, your due.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts

I don't want to encourage or discourage you in what decision to make. If it's in your budget to have a new vehicle, I'd understand the choice to trade. Just know that your vehicle is highly sought after. If your not the one who does the maintenance and replaces a part here and there for the next 100k miles, someone else gladly will. A dealership will sell it within days of it hitting their used car lot. I wouldn't wait long to make a decision, since the TB WP is due.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want to encourage or discourage you in what decision to make. If it's in your budget to have a new vehicle, I'd understand the choice to trade. Just know that your vehicle is highly sought after. If your not the one who does the maintenance and replaces a part here and there for the next 100k miles, someone else gladly will. A dealership will sell it within days of it hitting their used car lot. I wouldn't wait long to make a decision, since the TB WP is due.
I understand and BTW thank you SO much for your help. I really appreciate everything.

For the record - my intent is not to bash Honda. If I drove it every day I'd probably just rock on with it. But it is scaring me that I might get a call that it has stranded my wife somewhere. On the 2006 Accord we traded on it, I never really considered that as a possibility (I mean I did, but it wasn't in the front of my mind). I know it's a good car and Honda makes a quality vehicle.

We are still thinking about it. We bought it used and have payments which is one driving factor. It's been solid overall but it has had these issues.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I understand and BTW thank you SO much for your help. I really appreciate everything.

For the record - my intent is not to bash Honda. If I drove it every day I'd probably just rock on with it. But it is scaring me that I might get a call that it has stranded my wife somewhere. On the 2006 Accord we traded on it, I never really considered that as a possibility (I mean I did, but it wasn't in the front of my mind). I know it's a good car and Honda makes a quality vehicle.

We are still thinking about it. We bought it used and have payments which is one driving factor. It's been solid overall but it has had these issues.
Thank you for the thanks, really enjoy helping, problem solving. 😊
If it would make you feel any better, I'd rather own your 2012 than my 2017. Seriously. There are many on this forum that would agree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts