Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the code this past Sunday, with just under 50,000 miles on the odometer. Took it to the dealer and sure enough, the injectors need replacing. It's covered by Honda, so there's no charge, but I have been driving the car with S-VCM, deactivating the VCM....and it still happened.

Just thought I'd share the information.

I did remove the S-VCM before I took it in to the dealer.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
What fuel are you using, Top Tier or any gas?

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
203 Posts
Got the code this past Sunday, with just under 50,000 miles on the odometer. Took it to the dealer and sure enough, the injectors need replacing. It's covered by Honda, so there's no charge, but I have been driving the car with S-VCM, deactivating the VCM....and it still happened.

Just thought I'd share the information.

I did remove the S-VCM before I took it in to the dealer.
How long have you had the SVCM installed. It’s possible the unit stopped working and you didn’t notice it. Usually it’s carbon that messes up the injectors. I add a bottle of fuel system cleaner every 3 months and tell the wife to run Exxon fuel when possible or anything top tier.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is there any proof that the SVCM units work? I'm asking if there's any way to confirm that they actually keep the cylinder deactivation from occurring.

I'm leasing my Pilot and have no intention of installing one, but it occurs to me that these things could be pieces of plastic that don't do anything, and there wouldn't be any way of knowing that until issues popped up.

Of course, the other possibility is that something other than VCM is causing the issue...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Is there any proof that the SVCM units work? I'm asking if there's any way to confirm that they actually keep the cylinder deactivation from occurring.

I'm leasing my Pilot and have no intention of installing one, but it occurs to me that these things could be pieces of plastic that don't do anything, and there wouldn't be any way of knowing that until issues popped up.

Of course, the other possibility is that something other than VCM is causing the issue...
Yes they work. You can confirm easily on older cars where a green light popped on the dash when VCM was active. On our newer cars you can use a device like Scan Gauge to monitor the on/off electronically. I suppose you could observe short term fuel trims as well on the disabled bank when cruising.

VCM doesn't seem to have any relationship to the injector problem.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
How long have you had the SVCM installed. It’s possible the unit stopped working and you didn’t notice it. Usually it’s carbon that messes up the injectors. I add a bottle of fuel system cleaner every 3 months and tell the wife to run Exxon fuel when possible or anything top tier.
What fuel are you using, Top Tier or any gas?
Not to say that using a quality detergent fuel isn't beneficial, I'm leaning more toward using a quality full synthetic oil and changing it on time, as a way to prevent carbon buildup on valves and injectors.
But ya, I'd keep the VCM deactivated. My spark plugs are cleaner and it saving my transmission.

Reactions: ARB1977

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never realized anyone responded! I thought I would be notified.

I consistently run Shell gas, and at times when I can’t, I stick to Top Tier stations.

I can’t say I’ve checked to sure my VCM disabler is working, but it’s such a simple device. I was running it for about 15,000 miles. Maybe too late.

Regardless, at just under 50k miles, Honda has replaced my injectors (on their dime) and I have reinstalled the VCM disabler. (I removed it before taking it to the dealer, just in case). I will check to make sure the disabler is working, using my OBD2 reader, and will report back if it is not.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I never realized anyone responded! I thought I would be notified.

I consistently run Shell gas, and at times when I can’t, I stick to Top Tier stations.

I can’t say I’ve checked to sure my VCM disabler is working, but it’s such a simple device. I was running it for about 15,000 miles. Maybe too late.

Regardless, at just under 50k miles, Honda has replaced my injectors (on their dime) and I have reinstalled the VCM disabler. (I removed it before taking it to the dealer, just in case). I will check to make sure the disabler is working, using my OBD2 reader, and will report back if it is not.

Thanks for the responses.
Since my 17 Pilot is rebuilt, I have no warranty. I had to replace my injectors a few weeks ago because of a P219A code. Carbon buildup on the injectors is real problem for the direct injection engines. My number 1 injector was completely blocked. Top Tier fuel, injector cleaner and on time oil changes with a quality full synthetic oil should help.

But yes, I'd get a scanner and make sure the VCM disabling device is working by seeing if the ECT is defaulted to 165°

·
Registered
740 Posts
Vcm doesn't seem to have anything to do with injector issues, I see failed injectors across all cylinders.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Vcm doesn't seem to have anything to do with injector issues, I see failed injectors across all cylinders.
I've seen my spark plugs dry up on this 3rd gen. Baked oil deposits on injectors still seems to be a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts