Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Pilot with 133k miles. It died on me today. I was driving on the highway and I suddenly lost all power. I was able to get it to the shoulder. It starts, runs rough for a few seconds and dies. This happen on a road that a permit is needed to tow off of. I was able to start it enough times to get it off the parkway but the car would run for shorter and shorter times. It now starts and stall right away. It felt like the fuel pump was dying but most of my experience is with older cars which doesn't usually carry over well. My check engine light never came on but when I check for codes, P2197 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2, Sensor 1 came up. Everything I find with this code says nothing about dying. Could this code just be something not related? Can anyone help me out with some info? Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check the alternator and battery. Fuel filter if applicable. Do you hear the pump prime when on setting 2. When the last time a tune up was done

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check in the morning. I changed the spark plugs in August of last year and I'm up to date on ALL the fluids and filters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery voltage was 12.4, the alternator voltage was 14.4. I started to take out the o2 sensor to see what it looked like but tightened it up because I finally got someone to come out to start the car. The car started right up, ran smooth and didn't stall. Could it be that simple? If that is all it is, I'm going to change the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If the conection and wiring isnt faulty by a bare wire grounding out or the conection fouled with oil (clean with CRC Electronic Cleaner), Yes replace the top front O2 sensor.
I do find it odd that this made it run so bad that you were barely able to get it off the highway. Are you sure there is no other code? If not, some other checks and maintenance may need to be done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, there were no other codes and I'm up on all maintenance. What other checks should I do? I really don't want to break down again.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
I just replace that same O2 sensor on my 08.
However, mine was code 0154- not what yours was?
It's not the sensor. Mine had a check engine light, one code- it ran fine.

Those are weird symptoms. Make sure it's not something really simple like the battery clamps loose, or a bad ground wire?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
No, there were no other codes and I'm up on all maintenance. What other checks should I do? I really don't want to break down again.
There is the possibility that an intake leak can be causing some trouble. I'd make sure the air filter box is closed properly (assuming air filter is clean) and the intake hose is not cracked and the clamps are secure. Next, I'd clean the Mass Airflow sensor. I use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Remove it and with a few short burst directly into the visible electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing. Other than that, post #5.
Please let us know how things go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The battery terminals are tight but dirty and I cleaned the MAF sensor which I do regularly after getting stuck because I didn't know I was supposed to clean it. I'll try the rest of the stuff on monday, we have family plans this weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I started to take out the o2 sensor to see what it looked like but tightened it up because I finally got someone to come out to start the car. The car started right up, ran smooth and didn't stall
You have a specific code for the O2 sensor so it may be a good idea to replace it to eliminate a variable. Since the Pilot ran well after you were working on the O2 sensor perhaps the wiring for the O2 sensor or any wires nearby got moved a bit then wiring or connection issue may be at fault. While inspecting your wires or connections make sure your ground wires (more than one) are not loose, corroded or decayed like mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
You have a specific code for the O2 sensor so it may be a good idea to replace it to eliminate a variable. Since the Pilot ran well after you were working on the O2 sensor perhaps the wiring for the O2 sensor or any wires nearby got moved a bit then wiring or connection issue may be at fault. While inspecting your wires or connections make sure your ground wires (more than one) are not loose, corroded or decayed like mine.
I just love that photo so much, the color is so radiant, I hope you dont mind, I just had to frame it and put it on the mantel. 😁

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, I've had wires like that in the past. I had some time to work on the car this morning. The battery terminals were dirty but not real bad so I cleaned them. The main ground wire is good, it has a little surface green on the exposed copper but most of the exposed part is visible copper. I checked the ohms and it's good. The air filter was somewhat dirty. I have some new ones laying around so I changed it. I'm not sure but there is a chance the air cleaner was not sitting properly. When I put it back on, it was off a little but I didn't notice if it was like that before. The o2 sensor will be here tomorrow and I'll have more time tomorrow to work on it. I know you can't tell if the wire is bad but this is the o2 sensor that I got the code on. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Lol, I've had wires like that in the past. I had some time to work on the car this morning. The battery terminals were dirty but not real bad so I cleaned them. The main ground wire is good, it has a little surface green on the exposed copper but most of the exposed part is visible copper. I checked the ohms and it's good. The air filter was somewhat dirty. I have some new ones laying around so I changed it. I'm not sure but there is a chance the air cleaner was not sitting properly. When I put it back on, it was off a little but I didn't notice if it was like that before. The o2 sensor will be here tomorrow and I'll have more time tomorrow to work on it. I know you can't tell if the wire is bad but this is the o2 sensor that I got the code on. Thanks everyone.
Nice O2 sensor photos!
Just have to find the right room with the correct lighting to make it pop.

😁👍

Reactions: Thefishman

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it's running good, thanks for everyone's help. Here's everything I did, I replaced the o2 sensor. I replaced the air filter and made sure it was seating properly. I cleaned the PCV valve, it was dirty but still rattling. I checked the battery and cables and they were all good. I checked the alternator and it was good. I didn't find and cracks in the intake tube. I didn't find any manifold vaccum leaks. It appears it was the o2 sensor. If there are any other things I should check to be on the safe side, please let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts