Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 05 pilot on a 45mph hwy, when suddenly, l lost power and accelaration, my VTM4,check engine light came on. I immediately parked on a curb, turn off my engine for 2mins, then start again, the VTM went off, but the check engine was still on. To make the long story short, good thing i have my code reader on my glove box, plugged it in and it give me P2138-something about accelarator position sensor/circuit. could there be more than this? should I replace? or just clean the connector?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving my 05 pilot on a 45mph hwy, when suddenly, l lost power and accelaration, my VTM4,check engine light came on. I immediately parked on a curb, turn off my engine for 2mins, then start again, the VTM went off, but the check engine was still on. To make the long story short, good thing i have my code reader on my glove box, plugged it in and it give me P2138-something about accelarator position sensor/circuit. could there be more than this? should I replace? or just clean the connector?
Exact same thing happened to us yesterday at 45 mph! Same code of P2138. Check engine light is now off. Did you have a solution? Reasonable fix?

·
Administrator
15,402 Posts
Start by checking the connector. If thats all it is great. What it reports is the drive by wire system is not working correctly.
Therefore the ECU is not getting the correct electrical signal from the accelerator's app sensor.
If the sensor is defective, time to change it.
Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor - YouTube

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
APP sensor change

So after several trouble I've had with P2138, I finally replaced it. It's been a month and no problem. Changing it was quite fun and easy too!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same thing

I had the same thing happen to me this morning. I just left for work and about 5 minutes in to my drive, I hit about 45mph and the dash lit up like a xmas tree and there was a huge loss in power. I was afraid to get on the highway so turned around and headed home. I didn't want to turn the car off until I got the code. It was the P2138 code. I turned the car off and on and only the CEL light remained, and the car drove fine. But I didn't want this to happen to me again so I left the car at home and took another. I read up on the issue and ordered the replacement APP sensor. I will install it over the weekend and let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks to this forum I was able to quickly diagnose the issue and determine if I should take it in for service or do it myself. It seems like an easy fix so I'm doing it myself. The forum has saved me a ton of $$$ on this repair and others in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts