Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife took the truck yesterday to work, drove in the snow now getting a P0847 transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch b circuit low error code, the fluid levels are good, and don't need to be changed for another 20-25k. she said the ABS kicked in yesterday when she was driving, and after her night shift in the hospital she got a check engine light, hooked up the unit and got this error. yes I always use Honda ATF and change it every 30k
I also saw a thread for a P0847 Transmission Oil Pressure Switch Fixed! was very informative but not sure if it the sensor I need for the 2013 pilot, called the dealer and its a 3rd gear pressure switch for $97 dollars. wonder if I can get the same switch from rockauto for less but not sure which one.

Thanking you ahead of time for all of your anticipated help.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If your vehicle were mine, the first thing I'd do for my 5-speed is to switch to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I'd plan for 3 drain and fills. After the 1st, driving until the engine and transmission is warmed to operating temperature, I'd do the 2nd drain and fill. Then after 100-200 miles or so (no rule) I'd do the 3rd. It's been proven over and over again that it out performs Honda DW-1, especially in cold conditions. MaxLife will clean any sticking parts in the transmission. This may be all that is needed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pilot has around 150k. And is automatic not a 5 spreed. I could switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF. And cycle it. Just never had a issue with the regular Honda aft in the cold. Sucks because In NY we got a bunch of snow it’s going be cold but worth a try. Maybe I’ll still change the switch. Any clue which switch it might be?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The pilot has around 150k. And is automatic not a 5 spreed.
You posted in the 2012-2015 2nd generation Pilot forum. The vehicles came with 5-speed automatic transmissions.
Maybe I’ll still change the switch. Any clue which switch it might be?
Hopefully someone can help you with this. Never had to replace one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To do the aft cycling do you use the red bottle or blue bottle is for imports or the one that’s +4?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The pilot has around 150k. And is automatic not a 5 spreed. I could switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF. And cycle it. Just never had a issue with the regular Honda aft in the cold. Sucks because In NY we got a bunch of snow it’s going be cold but worth a try. Maybe I’ll still change the switch. Any clue which switch it might be?
This should work: RockAuto
or
This is a good place to find OEM, just fill in the particulars like make, model, year, trim and has assembly parts blowups to show you where the part is located.

28610-R36-004 - Genuine Honda Switch Assy., AT Oil Pressure (hondapartsnow.com)

I'd probably go the OEM route based on the small diff in price. But try the VML as suggested first by all means. It's good a cleaning out anything that might clog small passages.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2013 3 - 4 months ago. I replaced the switch and have not had any further problems. According to the Honda factory service manual this is PURELY an electrical fault and does not indicate any concerns / issues with the transmission itself. It's easy to swap... buy a new one from Honda with the gasket for ~$75 bux, put it on in 30 minutes and forget about it. :)

You can order parts @ MSRP from your dealer by ordering it from the Honda e-parts store:

My thread from when I had this problem:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Side note does the pilot have a ATF filter? My 2007 odyssey had one in the behind the battery in the housing. Since I’m going to cycle the fluid also want to rule out other possible causes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Side note does the pilot have a ATF filter? My 2007 odyssey had one in the behind the battery in the housing. Since I’m going to cycle the fluid also want to rule out other possible causes.
Yes it has a filter but it's not serviceable or replaceable without pulling the transmission out of the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same thing happened to my 2013 3 - 4 months ago. I replaced the switch and have not had any further problems. According to the Honda factory service manual this is PURELY an electrical fault and does not indicate any concerns / issues with the transmission itself. It's easy to swap... buy a new one from Honda with the gasket for ~$75 bux, put it on in 30 minutes and forget about it. :)

You can order parts @ MSRP from your dealer by ordering it from the Honda e-parts store:

the tread was a good read...thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i found this video, I wonder if it in the same area on the 2013?

this thread has the sensor in the wheel bay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

When you switched your pressure switch was it acceptable in the front like the video or do I have to access it in the wheel Bay Area?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
When you switched your pressure switch was it acceptable in the front like the video or do I have to access it in the wheel Bay Area?
This will give you the location of the various switches, solenoids and sensors on the transmission.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts

This code is because the switch is failing. But make no mistake, it is in the ATF environment. The quality of the ATF can play a factor in the overall performance and reliability of transmission switches and shift solenoids.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m going to do both change the switch and cycle out the fluid. It will have wait until next week to do it because I’ll have off for the week. Took it for a drive drove normal. Thanks for all the input. So when I cycle out the ATF fluid which Valvoline some false enteric should I get the general purpose one that’s red or get one of the blue ones like a ATF +4 or +3.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I’m going to do both change the switch and cycle out the fluid. It will have wait until next week to do it because I’ll have off for the week. Took it for a drive drove normal. Thanks for all the input. So when I cycle out the ATF fluid which Valvoline some false enteric should I get the general purpose one that’s red or get one of the blue ones like a ATF +4 or +3.
Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Wal-Mart has the best price.
😃👍

Reactions: Eugd

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
For your confidence....
Spec Sheet

Attachments

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
We even got a poll on the topic on this forum. 😁

·
Registered
761 Posts
It’s kind of in a weird spot. I got there mostly from the front but snaked an extension in there from the wheel well. It’s tough to reach but as long as you have a decent selection of extensions and wobbles it’s pretty easy. I think if I had a wrench that size it may have been a lot easier. Either way was about 30 minutes start to finish so not too bad, just requires a hint of creativity to get a socket or wrench on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts