Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a simple ATF drain and fill like I've done a few times before and now the car won't move in gear. A couple of times it struggled to crawl at high rev and felt like tranny was slipping, then stopped moving again when I put in reverse, or back in drive. Then CEL came on and "D" was blinking. Code reader first said no codes then reread and P0766 came up. Read codes again then reader again says no codes even tho CEL is still on. Sometimes when I put in gear, engine revs higher at about 1500 without stepping on gas. Neighbor stuck his reader on and also got P0766. We reset code and disconnected battery cable for few minutes but still not moving.

ATF was changed after 34k since last service. Honda said fluid looked clean after 26k, but maybe I should have changed a little sooner than 34k. About 3.8 qts came out. Fluid looked pretty good. Magnet looked a little cleaner than my last change. I didn't mess with any cables or harnesses. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem solved and I can't believe I did this. I added ATF to the oil fill port. Duh. So no fluid in tranny and about 4 gallons of ATF with the oil. And how many times in the past have I changed oil and ATF???? So did I damage tranny? And I'm due for an oil change anyway, but do I have to flush? Or can I just do an oil change, run a bit then do a second change? Pilot was probably running for about 15-20 minutes so how much of the ATF circulated thru the engine?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,378 Posts
Whoops, things happen.😁

Get the tranny filled back up to the correct level. Hopefully it didn’t suffer any major damage.

For the engine, I’d drain the 9 quart mixture out of it but leave the filter on. Then fill it up with the cheapest oil you can find then drive it around for 5-10 miles. Then perform an oil and filter change with the oil of your choice.

Reactions: pilot2009

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
Dilution is the solution.
I'd change the oil and filter.
(Repeat)
You could save money by using a cheap filter on the 1st D&F.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as I was thinking. Hopefully for the transmission all is good. I used up old DW-1 so here's my chance to use MaxLife. And for the oil it wasn't due for a filter change but I was going to change anyway. I'll look for cheap oil and a Fram. Maybe I'll do a total of 3 drain and fills.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
If I made this mistake, I'd plan 2 D&Fs on the engine oil.
Draining the pan and removing filter doesn't leave much oil in the engine. There may be a 1/2 quart left in the pump that won't drain out. I'd use a very good quality oil like Shell Rotella Gas Truck or Penzoil Ultra Platinum (my choices) to protect, clean and dilute the residual ATF. A cheap filter used on the 1st D&F is a temporary to throwaway. A Wal-Mart SuperTech filter would be great for that.
After the 1st D&F, warming the engine to operating temperature, knowing the oil is mixed well with old. I do a 2nd with my quality filter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As another option, for the engine, look into Liqui Moly 2037 Engine Flush. Use with cheap oil as you'll have to dump it after idling for the requisite time. It's pretty strong stuff and should get the ATF (and other crud) out.

PS - I should note that this will strip any additives that have adhered to the metal components (for those that do throw that kind of stuff in).

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think any oil would be good enough to dilute the mix. I was thinking driving about 20 minutes or so between drain and fills. Is that too long a drive?

Walmart has cheap Chevron Supreme Synth Blend but for some reason says not compatible with my 09. I thought any 5W-20 would do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You'd have to know whether the "stiction" characteristics of ATF are such that oil would dilute whatever ATF stuck itself to the lifters, cylinder walls, etc. Not that I think it's such a big deal if some of that remains but with the engine flush it'll strip all that off. It's a pretty nasty stuff actually... a mix of mineral oil, acids and a high amount of detergent additives that scrape whatever it touches fairly clean. Obviously not for extended or frequent use hence why the instructions are something along the lines of add it to oil, idle for 10 minutes and drain it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts