Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am having a bit of trouble. My 2005 Honda Pilot has come up with the code P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance/Stuck Off. The car is at 135k miles and at 100k miles the transmission was replaced with a JDM transmission with 40k miles. The car shifts beautifully, but the rpm does rev a tiny bit higher than it did in the previous 2005 Pilot I owned and a little bit higher than this Pilot originally did after the transmission replacement. I have read many stories about how people were told by their dealers that they had no option but to replace their transmissions, but I simply feel that it isn't always the case, especially because this car seems to be going real strong. Has anyone else had this code or something similar that is able to help me identify if there is a fix? What I have done so far is an ATF drain and fill.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
What was the condition of that drain+fill? Burnt? Dark? Excess amount of metallic flakes or buildup on the drain bolt? Focusing on things you can diy would be additional D+F and using OEM solenoid replacements.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
The car is at 135k miles and at 100k miles the transmission was replaced with a JDM transmission with 40k miles.
Just curious, why was it replaced so soon, and with a JDM transmission?

There are no Pilots on the Japan Domestic Market.

·
Registered
201 Posts
P0741 indicates an internal pressure leak in the tq converter clutch hydraulic circuit. Either the converter has internally failed or debris is stopping a valve from closing all the way. 99.9% the trans need to be rebuilt/replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the condition of that drain+fill? Burnt? Dark? Excess amount of metallic flakes or buildup on the drain bolt? Focusing on things you can diy would be additional D+F and using OEM solenoid replacements.
The condition of the fluid was bright red when I took it out. And we did swap most of the solenoids from the OEM transmission onto the JDM one but it is possible that we may have missed one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, why was it replaced so soon, and with a JDM transmission?

There are no Pilots on the Japan Domestic Market.
The transmission fluid used to burn within 30 minutes of driving, torque converter was not in the housing properly and was causing friction. Honestly the price of the transmission was good, it had low miles, and it looked clean. And that is true there are no Pilots in Japan, but they have the MDX and the transmission is identical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P0741 indicates an internal pressure leak in the tq converter clutch hydraulic circuit. Either the converter has internally failed or debris is stopping a valve from closing all the way. 99.9% the trans need to be rebuilt/replaced.
Would my car show signs of this code? Because to me and the rest of my family it feels completely fine to drive. How can I tell if I am one of the lucky ones?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
Does the torque converter work? Does it "lock" when you reach 45 mph (I think?).
If the fluid Is clean and its shifting fine there isn't much you can do but wait for it to actually fail.
I am not the kind of person to replace a transmission/torque converter just because of one code, I would most definitely wait until there is a failure of some sort.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would my car show signs of this code? Because to me and the rest of my family it feels completely fine to drive. How can I tell if I am one of the lucky ones?
Other then the code, the only sign is the tq converter not locking up. The trans will work fine in all other aspects. Normally the fault is internal to the converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts