Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 EX-L, Starlight Silver, gray leather
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. So my 2003 EX-L is now having this issue. My wife and I are going to take it to a shop tomorrow to have them look at it, but I wanted to get some ideas from others that might have experience this. The tranny is kicking while driving steady and also not shifting correctly or smoothly during speed up and slow down. I know the 700 is just generic, while the 730 indicates incorrect gear ratio or something to that affect. It was low on transmission fluid, we got some added, and then drove a bit. It was still acting up. Although initially it seemed better, but then started acting up again. From what I was reading, there are sometimes more codes after the 730, to help further troubleshooting, but at this point that's all we've got.

This is actually the first issue we've had on it since we bought it in March. We've really enjoyed this vehicle.

·
Registered
2003 EX-L, Starlight Silver, gray leather
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well the shop says his best thought is the torque converter. He made sure the fluid was full and good. He cleared the codes. Ran it a few miles and it's driving and shifting fine right now. Now I'm just going and praying it lasts for a while. I can't afford to get it replace it rebuilt right now. Are there any out there who have worked on their transmission? Can the torque converter just be replaced? I am not that knowledgeable at this point; I'm very early in the learning curve.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
860 Posts
In my experience, if it's driving fine that's 80% of what you need to know.

Piloteer conventional wisdom says to drain and fill the ATF 3 times if you didn't do that when you bought it. You only get about 40% of the fluid in one drain, so you need 3 cycles with a few days of driving in between to get it mostly running clean stuff. When you do the drain, the magnet on the back of the plug is an excellent indicator of health - lots of black sludge is metal worn off the clutches that make things go.

The symptoms you describe could be a result of the clutch solenoids. That should show a code on a reader that can decipher the Honda-specific data. If your mechanic couldn't get to that information, you might consider taking it to someone that specializes in Hondas if the problem is not cleared up with fluid.

I doubt that replacing a torque converter only would be economical on an '03 at this point. I certainly wouldn't do that without being certain that's the problem. If you're going in that deep, you might be better served doing the whole job. Even if that becomes necessary, you may be able to baby it along for quite some time while you save for the possible rainy day.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts