Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Pilot with a P5023 code . I was wondering if anyone could help me try and diagnose the issue ?

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It's for a failing engine oil pressure sensor, related to the VCM actuation IIRC. Replace the sensor.,

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's for a failing engine oil pressure sensor, related to the VCM actuation IIRC. Replace the sensor.,
Would you happen to know which one ? Is it the one at the bottom near the oil pump or top rear of engine ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
If your not familiar with how to test the switch(s) and system you might want to have it looked at. Much of the time it is the sensor/switch, however it could also be a mechanical issue triggering the code. Just replacing the sensor without knowing for sure could lead to engine damage, especially on an engine that has a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been searching for how to test them since they are only 1 pin connectors. would you happen to know which switch? All my research is showing me 3 different ones. top front ,rear and near oil filter

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The code reader is tell me ...
rear rocker arm oil pressure sensor high voltage
No oil leaks around this part on the back head or around the dipstick? What is your milage?
I ask this because the VVT assembly with gaskets and filter screens can be bought as one part with the oil pressure sensor, taking care of more than one problem.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for that link.. I tested quick the other night i had battery voltage at both sensors on top of engine front and back of the engine. Is that correct voltage there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant find anything on the internet with this code for the pilot. How hasn't anyone had this problem ?? LOL

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I cant find anything on the internet with this code for the pilot. How hasn't anyone had this problem ?? LOL
When the light came on, was the engine continuing to run smoothly?
You have code P0523?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drove it about 45 miles. Sat for 6 hours , came back to car started it up and check engine light as well as oil light came on. Car runs smoothly drove it home as i had no choice it was 2am. Ran the code and got P0523

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did check the oil before driving it home and there is plenty on the dipstick also have 40% oil life left

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,949 Posts
DTC codes are standard since the mid 1990's so a P5023 code is the same for any make. The exact remedy to the issue may be somewhat different, but the indicated problem is the same.

With the low mileage you have I would strongly suspect that dr bob is correct on a failing sensor. Now if you had 137,000 miles instead of 37,000 miles I would be more concerned of a more serious mechanical issue. That's not to say it couldn't be a more serious issue, but with that low milage I would lean toward a stuck, failing sensor.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I asked about the code to recheck. The post title says P5023 instead of P0523?
That's good the engine is running smoothly. Hopefully just a bad sensor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts