Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2016 Honda Pilot with the code P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold B2. Any idea how to fix this the cheap way? Any help Apreciated

·
Registered
516 Posts
Most likely caused by the injectors. Take it to a dealer to verify, if it is the injectors, then contact American Honda and see if they will cover any part of the repair.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I got the same code a while ago and reset it. Switched to Esso 87 octane (Exxon)gasoline and haven't had the code come back so it may have been bad gasoline or just a fluke. I also changed the air filter and changed the oil and filter as well. The car, 16 EXL, has been running well and getting great gas mileage so I'm not going to worry about it. I think the ECM is just too sensitive and a lot of owners are changing out injectors too soon. I am only at 87k kms which is way too soon for injectors to be changed IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the dealer said it is the cat converter. and they would not do anything else before fixing that since i am/was having a problem that it could be an electrical issue and it could be a very well safety issue. couple of days ago the suv came to a complete stop in the middle of the street luckily it was in a private community. the suv would not move or go anywhere the dashboard lighing up like a christmas tree with different messages about emission,mitigation snow etc etc story short the only way to get the suv started is by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. but few days before with my wife said that it stalled like 3 times every time she tries to accelerate. also when i push the start button and before the enginge cranks the needles in the dashboard are dancing like crazy like a fast jitter. so i don't know what is going on. i am pissed off with the dealer since i got charged for the diagnoses even though i have an extended warrenty from them.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
A lot of people have replaced the cat and had that code come back. It's an expensive repair and so is having the injectors replaced. Have you checked your battery as this can cause weird issues with the onboard systems if the voltage drops too low. Usually batteries last 3-5 years depending on usage and weather. Hot weather kills batteries pretty fast too.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
What is your milage?
How long have you had a Check Engine Light? Since your stalling out, I'm concerned that you've had this problem a long time and you very well may need your Catalytic converter (Cat) replaced.
The P0430 can be caused by a rich condition where unburned fuel entering your Cat. Sometimes the solution is as easy as changing the air filter. Check to make sure the plastic intake hose is securely fasten and not cracked. The Mass Airflow sensor (MAF) may be dirty. Remove it and spray some CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner directly into the electrodes and let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
Use a branded Top Tier 87 octane fuel. Higher octane can make your problem worse. You may need to replace your spark plugs if they are fouled out. Without spark, unburned fuel could be entering your Cats. Check to make sure that each coil is firing.
You could have a faulty O2 sensor. You could blindly replace these or test them.
Worse case is leaking fuel injectors that need replacing. The key point is, if you don't solve what's causing P0430, you could replace the Cat, but your problem will return. If you've had this problem a long time, then you will also need the Cat replaced.
I would also disable the VCM. This will insure that all 6 cylinders are firing 100% of the time.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a 2016 Honda Pilot with the code P0430 catalyst system efficiency below threshold B2. Any idea how to fix this the cheap way? Any help Apreciated
I had that same code came up on my 2016 pilot lucky my car was still under warenty n they fix it by changing the gas cap .
Thaty hav alot of issue with that alot of complaints .. n tranmission

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD | Modern Steel Metallic
10 Posts
"Emissions System Problem" showed on my 2016 Pilot EX-L. I'm around 48,800 miles. I checked with my Fixd and got the code:
"P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2".

I made an appointment with my local Honda dealership. They did a software update but that didn't fix the problem. Further investigation showed my fuel injectors needed to be replaced. They needed to be ordered so I'm driving a loaner 2020 Pilot EX for the next few days. There is an extended warranty in DE that covered the costs.

2016 Honda Pilot Warranties Handbook

Federal Emissions Warranty

·
Registered
18 Posts
It can b the injector alot of car wit same problem .mine was the gas cap they replace it for free since its in the recall

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD | Modern Steel Metallic
10 Posts
Honda Pilot P0430 OBD2 Code Diagnosis | Drivetrain Resource (700r4transmissionhq.com)

Top Causes of P0430 in the Honda Pilot
OBD2 Code P0430 Honda Pilot
There are many things that can cause the P0430 trouble code in your Pilot. Here are the most common ones.
  • Oxygen Sensor– The P0430 codes is thrown when the oxygen sensors on both sides of the exhaust have very similar readings. When the oxygen sensor is bad, it can cause a false reading and trigger the code. If the engine does not exhibit any of the decreased performance associated with a bad catalytic converter, it very well may be the oxygen sensor (if you haven’t noticed the performance loss yet)
  • Catalytic Converter– A catalytic converter is responsible for scrubbing out as much pollution as possible from the Pilot’s exhaust. Over time, they can become clogged. Although, modern catalytic converters are supposed to last the life of most vehicles, it could be there is some underlying problem if it has clogged.
  • O2 Sensor Wiring– Over time, the oxygen sensor wiring can go bad. It is especially volatile since it is right next to the hot exhaust at all times. The downstream oxygen sensor wiring is especially volatile since it is so far from the ECM (more distance to travel.
  • Timing– If your Pilot is misfiring or the exhaust timing is off, this can affect the gasses that are actually going to the O2 sensors enough to cause the P0430 code to register.
  • Exhaust Leak– If there’s a noticeable exhaust leak coming from the vehicle it can change what the O2 sensors register enough to throw the P0430 code.
  • Engine Temp Sensor– If the computer doesn’t know what the engine temp is it’ll keep the fuel mixture rich. When the fuel mixture is rich, the exhaust the O2 sensors see will be out of range and it could throw the sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the dealer said it is the cat converter. and they would not do anything else before fixing that since i am/was having a problem that it could be an electrical issue and it could be a very well safety issue. couple of days ago the suv came to a complete stop in the middle of the street luckily it was in a private community. the suv would not move or go anywhere the dashboard lighing up like a christmas tree with different messages about emission,mitigation snow etc etc story short the only way to get the suv started is by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. but few days before with my wife said that it stalled like 3 times every time she tries to accelerate. also when i push the start button and before the enginge cranks the needles in the dashboard are dancing like crazy like a fast jitter. so i don't know what is going on. i am pissed off with the dealer since i got charged for the diagnoses even though i have an extended warrenty from them.
What did you find out? The only time I experienced anything remotely similar to that was when my alternator failed. Every light on the dash lit up and the car felt as if it was going to die and then stalled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts