Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this site and woah I have been missing out.
Here the situation we bought a Honda Pilot 2011 from a private seller. Due to lack of experience, we ended up buying a car with the codes erased. Then came the time for NYC inspection and this is when P0420 entered the chat. I managed to drive it for about 600 miles over a weekend and the light was gone and I was cleared for the smog test. Next year rolls around and the light has returned, due to the pandemic and full time responsibilities I'm unable to drive high miles contentiously. Over the span on 2 months I have driven roughly 1,500 miles and I'm always stuck with the EVAP and Catalysis monitor lights. At this moment I have given up, I have tried erasing the code, completing the drive cycle, went 55 mph and then without hitting the brakes let the car come to a full stop. I just need to get pass one of the lights to pass smog. I am assuming last time the EVAP light disappeared and the Catalyst light stayed on. I asked for professional opinion and I keep getting the same response to replace both the cats or keep driving. The car has not even touched 100k miles, and it just turned 10 years old. How could a cat go bad so fast? O2 sensors has been replaced, next thing would be the spark plugs, maybe clean out the system with Seafoam.
Any advice or past experience would be appropriated.

Brief story
Honda Pilot 2011 -> Bought at 90,000 Miles. P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Tried Premium Gas -> STP Cleaners -> Erasing codes and completing the drive cycle -> Nothing worked. Car is currently at 98,000 miles. 02 Sensor replaced. What should I do?
Lastly, Bought this car for $8,000, condition is good. I'm afraid this car might give me more issues in the future, plus+ timing belt would require a replacement soon, water pump. Just a bit afraid, is this car worth keeping and investing in after the 100k mile mark or no? Honda's are known for their reliability, we have a Honda civic which we love, the SUV has us questioning abit.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
For immediate results, #1 Disable the VCM. This cuts the oil consumption and reduces the amount of oil getting into the exhaust system.
I use S-VCM.
Other things you can do...
New Air Filter
Intake hose leak free, clamps tight.
Clean the MAF. Remove and spray directly into the electrodes with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
Replace spark plugs (NGK Laser Iridiums)
Inspect spark plug tubes and coils, should be oil free.
I recommend Full Synthetic 0W20 Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil for its resistance to evaporation/thermal breakdown.
Use a top tier 87 octane fuel.
Now take some long highway speed drives. It should clear the code. It worked for me.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I just came across this site and woah I have been missing out.
Here the situation we bought a Honda Pilot 2011 from a private seller. Due to lack of experience, we ended up buying a car with the codes erased. Then came the time for NYC inspection and this is when P0420 entered the chat. I managed to drive it for about 600 miles over a weekend and the light was gone and I was cleared for the smog test. Next year rolls around and the light has returned, due to the pandemic and full time responsibilities I'm unable to drive high miles contentiously. Over the span on 2 months I have driven roughly 1,500 miles and I'm always stuck with the EVAP and Catalysis monitor lights. At this moment I have given up, I have tried erasing the code, completing the drive cycle, went 55 mph and then without hitting the brakes let the car come to a full stop. I just need to get pass one of the lights to pass smog. I am assuming last time the EVAP light disappeared and the Catalyst light stayed on. I asked for professional opinion and I keep getting the same response to replace both the cats or keep driving. The car has not even touched 100k miles, and it just turned 10 years old. How could a cat go bad so fast? O2 sensors has been replaced, next thing would be the spark plugs, maybe clean out the system with Seafoam.
Any advice or past experience would be appropriated.

Brief story
Honda Pilot 2011 -> Bought at 90,000 Miles. P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Tried Premium Gas -> STP Cleaners -> Erasing codes and completing the drive cycle -> Nothing worked. Car is currently at 98,000 miles. 02 Sensor replaced. What should I do?
Lastly, Bought this car for $8,000, condition is good. I'm afraid this car might give me more issues in the future, plus+ timing belt would require a replacement soon, water pump. Just a bit afraid, is this car worth keeping and investing in after the 100k mile mark or no? Honda's are known for their reliability, we have a Honda civic which we love, the SUV has us questioning abit.
All you need to do is buy a (2) 02 spacers on ebay for around 7 dollars each or cheaper and put them on your downstream bank1 and bank2 sensors and I'm sure you will be fine. Check your oil regularly and add as needed..
I also what Nail Grease said as good maintenance.
Other things you can do...
New Air Filter
Intake hose leak free, clamps tight.
Clean the MAF. Remove and spray directly into the electrodes with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
Replace spark plugs (NGK Laser Iridiums)
Inspect spark plug tubes and coils, should be oil free.
I recommend Full Synthetic 0W20 Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil for its resistance to evaporation/thermal breakdown.
Use a top tier 87 octane fuel.
Now take some long highway speed drives. It should clear the code. It worked for me.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
People use these boards to sell products...
If your talking about me, I have no financial stake in any of the products I've mentioned above. These are products I use on the 9 vehicles I own. 3 of which have a Honda V6.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
All you need to do is buy a (2) 02 spacers on ebay for around 7 dollars each or cheaper and put them on your downstream bank1 and bank2 sensors and I'm sure you will be fine. Check your oil regularly and add as needed..
Does this device solve the cause of the emissions code?

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
02 spacers in the 2 downstream cats will fix it but may or may not pass a visual inspection.
At 100k miles, I think the OP may be able to save them. I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
I passed emissions so i guess all is good.
P0420 and P0430 emission codes are a sign of a larger problem. Your problem is still there. It could even be an exhaust leak caused by a broken engine mount.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have tried the 02 spacers on my Pilot to try and "remedy" the P0420 code and it did not work at all. I replaced the cat with a Eastern Catalytic unit and it has been error free for ~15k miles. I also installed a S-VCM and am very happy. I have seen decreased amounts of metal in my Blackstone oil analysis since I installed the S-VCM too. I also have no stake in S-VCM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts