Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
monitoring sensor data is useless unless you are 100% sure the sensors are reporting accurate data.
I would be very hesitant to also replace something without knowing exactly what caused it to fail.
You could end up ruing a brand new $300 (not cheap) catalytic converter because of another underlying issue.
and if your catalytic converter is cheaper than BOTH upstream and downstream sensor then it's probably not good quality and will most likely end up failing and throwing more emission codes.
well the cat i bought was 120 shipped i just hope for it to work to pass smog 2 more times. maybe swap out the OEM and clean it out for fun see if that works too / shrug wish i had more free time.
the sensors are 80 and 50, tempted to resell them depending if i need them or not. never tried seafoam before but i know i own a few cans of it at least in my garage somewhere. guess i could give that a go after the s-vcm comes in on the 29th.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So far, with my maintenance list plus disabling the VCM, it has permanently ended my P0420 P0430 codes.
I can't remember how long it's been since I've done plugs. 3-4 years probably. So I took the 3 bottoms one out just to see if a potential oil leak is causing my cats to go. These don't looo too bad to me. Probably about 75k miles on them. What do you think?
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So far, with my maintenance list plus disabling the VCM, it has permanently ended my P0420 P0430 codes.
I'm working on your list. Bought the VCM disabler. Also bought PCV valve and a gasket to do EGR. What the chances I can do PCV without it breaking? I've never done it and I have 240k. Lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't remember how long it's been since I've done plugs. 3-4 years probably. So I took the 3 bottoms one out just to see if a potential oil leak is causing my cats to go. These don't looo too bad to me. Probably about 75k miles on them. What do you think? View attachment 161016
I think you need to put only NGK plugs in your car. Don't ever use Bosch or anything German or American ,only Japanese plugs NGK or Denso.
Bosch plugs will make your car run bad.
You also don't want to put Japanese plugs in a German car, not sure why they just don't work well

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think you need to put only NGK plugs in your car. Don't ever use Bosch or anything German or American ,only Japanese plugs NGK or Denso.
Bosch plugs will make your car run bad.
You also don't want to put Japanese plugs in a German car, not sure why they just don't work well
Yeah. I don't know that then when I did them 3-4 years ago. Will be using NGK Iriduims on the next change.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
So I took the 3 bottoms one out just to see if a potential oil leak is causing my cats to go.
Bottoms? You mean the plugs on the bank nearest to the radiator? Those are 4, 5, 6. 4 is only occasionally shutoff by VCM. Can't see the porcelin, but the middle plug looks a bit blackened. The three plug's electrodes look in good shape.

The most oil-consuming-prone cylinders are 1, 2, 3, on the cabin side of the engine. They spend the most time shutoff by VCM, especially when cruising.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Bottoms? You mean the plugs on the bank nearest to the radiator? Those are 4, 5, 6. 4 is only occasionally shutoff by VCM. Can't see the porcelin, but the middle plug looks a bit blackened. The three plug's electrodes look in good shape.

The most oil-consuming-prone cylinders are 1, 2, 3, on the cabin side of the engine. They spend the most time shutoff by VCM, especially when cruising.
yeah. Plugs nearest to radiator. Didn't notice any oil in the ignition coils either. So I assume if the other banks are okay, oil leakage isn't the culprit to my Cats dying?

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
13,751 Posts
I'm working on your list. Bought the VCM disabler. Also bought PCV valve and a gasket to do EGR. What the chances I can do PCV without it breaking? I've never done it and I have 240k. Lol
I’ve never had a PCV valve break on me. IMO, The use of full synthetic oil would help prevent this.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
yeah. Plugs nearest to radiator. Didn't notice any oil in the ignition coils either. So I assume if the other banks are okay, oil leakage isn't the culprit to my Cats dying?
Well, let's see what those plugs look like. They may be dry, but guessing they are darker. Those cylinders are notorious for drawing more oil into them when VCM has combustion shut off (valves are held closed). The oil is typically incompletely consumed and sends the particulates to the Bank 1 cat, which it can't easily burn off, so it tends to accumulate. Cyl 4, when it gets shut off, would also draw oil, but it would be, in a simple comparison, 1/3 the quantity sent to the Bank 2 cat, as compared to Bank 1.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, let's see what those plugs look like. They may be dry, but guessing they are darker. Those cylinders are notorious for drawing more oil into them when VCM has combustion shut off (valves are held closed). The oil is typically incompletely consumed and sends the particulates to the Bank 1 cat, which it can't easily burn off, so it tends to accumulate. Cyl 4, when it gets shut off, would also draw oil, but it would be, in a simple comparison, 1/3 the quantity sent to the Bank 2 cat, as compared to Bank 1.
I ordered plugs from rockauto. As soon as I get them in, I'll do the plugs and take a picture. 🤞

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
739 Posts
think I remember the 2nd gen Pilot PCV location giving people trouble not just with removal but having it break off inside, then needing to remove the valve cover to get the broken piece out. I know when I took the bolt out to swap mine it didn't even want to twist so I figured nope, will wait until a later date when I have more time to deal with a potential breakage

·
Registered
2013 Pilot EX-L AWD "Tank", 05 Accord, 04 Saturn Vue V6 AWD "poor mans pilot"
43 Posts
I'm glad I saw S VCM on here and ordered it right away. 3rd gen 2013 is annoying auto. Even dealer knows it isn't a good design. At least newer is push button ECO but no 4x4 low lock button. 1st day had eco valve go out. Later vtech valve but motor replaced now due to timing belt snapped.

If you buy a cat make sure it's Federal emissions (CA if you need it) as cheap aftermarket ones are junk, not enough precious metals.
Having to replace cat on Accord with one from Rockauto vs aftermarket junk. P420 and thinks it's rich at times. Replaced O2 twice.

Dealer could troubleshoot. Honda here is 125 IDK how much Honda is there. I know no one wants to take it to dealer. I know they vary like Dodge here 220 vs 40 miles 175 (Overpriced IMO).
Injector clean service?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm glad I saw S VCM on here and ordered it right away. 3rd gen 2013 is annoying auto. Even dealer knows it isn't a good design. At least newer is push button ECO but no 4x4 low lock button. 1st day had eco valve go out. Later vtech valve but motor replaced now due to timing belt snapped.

If you buy a cat make sure it's Federal emissions (CA if you need it) as cheap aftermarket ones are junk, not enough precious metals.
Having to replace cat on Accord with one from Rockauto vs aftermarket junk. P420 and thinks it's rich at times. Replaced O2 twice.

Dealer could troubleshoot. Honda here is 125 IDK how much Honda is there. I know no one wants to take it to dealer. I know they vary like Dodge here 220 vs 40 miles 175 (Overpriced IMO).
Injector clean service?
Wow confused what those numbers aee 220 vs 40 125 ? Prices ??

Here are my odbii readouts. I reset the check engine put a new oil sensor to try and get rid of p3400 error. Will see how it goes. Idk what the red x next to the egr means tho. Needs new one? Below what it should be doing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Your scan tool snapshots (at idle) suggest a engine in overall great shape. None of those parameters would indicate whether excess oil is being sent to the cats.

And, along with the ater-cat graphs you posted earlier in the thread, would also add credence that the PCM is correctly flagging cat deficiency issues; usually under higher load conditions like freeway cruising..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your scan tool snapshots (at idle) suggest a engine in overall great shape. None of those parameters would indicate whether excess oil is being sent to the cats.

And, along with the ater-cat graphs you posted earlier in the thread, would also add credence that the PCM is correctly flagging cat deficiency issues; usually under higher load conditions like freeway cruising..
You talking to me ?? My check lights are all off now amd just drove 200 miles to Six flags . Put premium gas x4 tanks and injection cleaner a few times. Both cats look same temp. Also added a defouler to the bank 1 sensor 2 to extend the reading.. Will see If it pops back up on the drive home. If not heading to the smog shop tomorrow. No check engine light but evap red circle with x on the odbii sensor.. not sure why.

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 161161 there is no check engine light on. Will it pass smog with evap light on ?? Looks perfect otherwise
Passed smog this morning. No check engine Codes. I did temporarily have a b1s2 delayed reading code (where I placed the defouler) but didn't make the check engine light go off.. it went away before I took it in. Evap light still had red x but was no issue passing. 2 more years of problem free emissions ... phewf.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Got the order from rock auto. He's the other 3. All plugs changed to NGK lasers.

Automotive tire Plastic bottle Gas Electric blue Asphalt
Automotive tire Plastic bottle Gas Electric blue Asphalt

21 - 40 of 45 Posts