Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX - Sagebrush Green, Fabric Upholstery
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know, I know... not another P0420 discussion!*

A little context - I have a 2005 EX Sage Green with 177k. I have taken a renewed interest in it, now that we have shuffled cars in our family, and my wife is now driving the newer car. After disappointing service at our local garage that, among other things, resulted in them losing my maintenance book (with 15 years of maintenance logs), I have now started doing my own maintenance myself. Let's say I have a new found hobby!馃榾 A few upgrades along the way, new speakers, new safari bar, fog lights, LED interior and head lights, new tires, CV axles rebooted, detail clean, Looking sharp.

Now, to the point. The CEL has been on for quite some time and I am determined to rule-out all other causes, before replacing the cats for a huge sum. I have read some very sound advice from sage piloteers on here, regarding 02 sensors, MAF valve cleaning, and spark plug replacement.

Taking it slow, I have tried a couple of rounds of cataclean and have bought a ODBII sensor and taking closer observation of any associated factors when the CEL is on and off. So far, 02 sensor voltage appears normal, short-term/long term mix % appear within acceptable limits, and no other gages from ODBII seem to give indication. Engine idles fine and runs well. Spark plugs replaced at 110k (going from memory, since said records were taken from me.)

Lately, within the last few fill-ups (top tier gas), I have noticed that the CEL is only lit when the tank is below 1/2. Tonight, after I filled-up, pulling out of the station, I noticed the light was suddenly off. It was on rolling-in at just under 1/4. So, in a long-winded fashion, I am asking... anyone else hear of the dreaded P0420 associated with fuel level? TIA for any input (and all the great resouces I have gleaned from these threads). This is a great forum.

Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
Just to clarify, MAF cleaning and valve cleaning are 2 different things. Your 05 is equipped with a MAP.
On a vehicle this age, I would be concerned with vacuum leaks. I'd replace dry/cracked hoses. Inspect the plastic air intake tube for cracks. These become brittle with age and often crack underneath when replacing the air filter.
Just a guess on the P0420 after filling up. When you remove the gas cap, do you notice a release of pressure? If so, you may have vapor canister issues.

Reactions: ganiflan

Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
fuel level should not have any effect on anything other than when you will be left stranded on the side of the road.

your check engine light codes are triggered to go ON and OFF depending on different conditions being met over a certain time/mileage period.

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
IIRC, some codes trigger the lights to return and/or turn off every so many key cycles.
Some codes never go off until the condition is fixed, and code reset.

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
On a vehicle this age, I would be concerned with vacuum leaks. I'd replace dry/cracked hoses. Inspect the plastic air intake tube for cracks. These become brittle with age and often crack underneath when replacing the air filter.
That might look something like this, but also it might be more subtle on the underside of the air intake tube, especially near the hose clamps. It can happen because of too much repeated bending when replacing the engine air filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts