Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both those codes on my 2011 Pilot. I know it’s a catalytic converter code. I’m assuming I would have to replace both cats? Any chance this could just be 02 sensors? Cat cleaner or anything help? Need to get car inspected this month, so it’s time to fix it.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I have both those codes on my 2011 Pilot. I know it’s a catalytic converter code. I’m assuming I would have to replace both cats? Any chance this could just be 02 sensors? Cat cleaner or anything help? Need to get car inspected this month, so it’s time to fix it.
Yep, this is common for a vehicle with 200k miles. If your O2 sensors have never been replaced, you may want to test them (I'd just replace if original). If that doesn't fix the codes, then you may have to replace CATS. Just know, if your engine is well tuned, CATS should never need replacing. These codes can be a sign of a larger problem. Rich fuel condition, burning oil. Air Filter needs replacing, Mass Airflow sensor needs replacing or cleaned, foul out spark plug(s) etc. If this/these problem isn't solved, your new CATS can become clogged rather quickly.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I believe my car is well tuned. Not burning oil. I replaced plugs about 30k miles ago. I replace the air filters twice a year.
I have never cleaned MAF tho. Didn’t know that was a thing. Whoops. Lol

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to add that I noticed the light went out last time when I put better gas in. Trying it again to see if that “fixes” it.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I believe my car is well tuned. Not burning oil. I replaced plugs about 30k miles ago. I replace the air filters twice a year.
I have never cleaned MAF tho. Didn’t know that was a thing. Whoops. Lol
I forgot to add that I noticed the light went out last time when I put better gas in. Trying it again to see if that “fixes” it.
I use CRC Electronic Cleaner to clean the MAF. This can be bought at Wal-Mart much cheaper than at the auto parts store. Just a few quick bursts directly into the electrodes, then let air dry. Someone posted a picture of CRC Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner as a choice. I know the Electronic Cleaner is good stuff.
Any Top Tier 87 octane fuel is good. Avoid places that sell raw gas untreated. Premium 93 octane does not help us. It may even make things worse.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Thank you! How often do you clean your MAF?
I don't have a set schedule for that.
If I feel my engines are not running smooth, I clean them.
Since you asked that, it makes me want to be more attentive to noting it and make it part of a routine.

Reactions: Giants10
1 - 8 of 8 Posts