Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed camshaft and camshaft sensor, lobes were coming apart. Getting P0389 code, checked the wiring (visual), seems fine, double checked the timing belt marks (looks good), cleaned the crankshaft sensor and the connections. Checked both A/B circuits voltage and resistance for crankshaft and both got identical readings but the fault is for B circuit. Looking online to see if the 2006 Pilot throws P0339 which is for the A system, and I have not seen anyone discussing P0339 code in a pilot, just P0389. Starting to wonder if the model that I got throws P0389 regardless of which circuit is malfunctioning. Using jumper cables I swaped the circuits from A to B, on sensor connector jumped pins 1,2,3 to 4,5,6 and 4,5,6 to 1,2,3. 1 and 4 are the grounds, 3 and 6 battery power, and 2 is CPK B, 5 CPK A to PCM. Also checked for short and both pins 3 and 6 (battery power), show a ressistance of 1155 ohms to the block, I looked at the wiring diagram and the this cable comes from a junction that powers many items in the engine, I guess is to be expected that some of those items might be a coil that is connected to groung. With all that said the car runs perfectly fine, no loss of power or erratic idle. I did noticed that while slowing down the rpm needle did a little jump but it wasn't the engine just the reading. Anyways I cleared the code started the car and the code came back P0389 (B circuit intermittent), if it was the sensor I expected the code to change to P0339 (A circuit intermittent). Starting to wonder if the camshaft sensor (aftermarket Spectra brand) is causing the issue or like mentioned above the only code that it uses is the P0389 regardless of which circuit fails. Went to the local Honda dealer and they told me that the sensor needs to be replaced when you get code P0389. I order an affordable crankshaft sensor from Amazon with good reviews to see if it clear the code, if it does I will replace it with the OE (Denso), if it doesn't I'll be ordering the OE camshaft sensor. Any ideas on where else should I be looking. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well got my Amazon crankshaft sensor installed it and same code. Just ordered the OE camshaft sensor, keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Who did the camshaft work?
If you got any antifreeze into the crank sensor plug, it may very well start throwing shit up. I would use distilled water to wash the plug and dry it with compressed air.
And use OEM or Hitachi sensors, do not play Russian roulette with aftermarket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well received my OE camshaft sensor installed it with the original crankshaft sensor and no light. lesson learned do not trust aftermarket for the electronics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts