Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this seems redundant but I am new to forums and recently had this code at around 110,000 miles. The dealership is saying it will cost at least $3,500 to repair and wanted to know if I should be covered under the lawsuit? Honda declined the dealership’s goodwill request. Any quick feedback would be greatly appreciated as my car is at dealership and I do not have the money. How long can I drive with this issue? Thank you

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
That's a cylinder #3 misfire detected.

Is you Pilot running poorly? I hope not, and if not, pick up your car and for the most part forget about that code!!

Now, if it's running poorly, how so? What's it doing?

What are they saying needs replacing for $3500?

If it runs OK, you have been keeping up with maintenace, etc.? I'd get an independent shop, and honest one's sedcond opinion!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a cylinder #3 misfire detected.

Is you Pilot running poorly? I hope not, and if not, pick up your car and for the most part forget about that code!!

Now, if it's running poorly, how so? What's it doing?

What are they saying needs replacing for $3500?

If it runs OK, you have been keeping up with maintenace, etc.? I'd get an independent shop, and honest one's sedcond opinion!
I can’t really tell much of a difference. It rides a little rougher but I also need to replace rear shocks and struts... they rep is supposed to call me back but basically said there’s an issue the ECO mode and oil getting into pistons. He said they will have to replace piston rings and possibly spark plugs that are affected which he said will have a lot of labor.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
OK, Take it to a trusted friend or shop for second opinion- first!

If it drives OK, take it somewhere else first, and not a place that could be in cahoots with that dealer either.
IMHO

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
We just had discussion on a similar case. Just as I suggested there, I'll post it here. Keep in mind that these suggestions have been successful for some. Another option is a piston soak. If your not ready to spend $3500 on your vehicle, and don't mind doing a little DIY, get your vehicle out of the dealership. I'd do these things...
1. Disable the VCM. The VCM shuts down certain cylinders when coasting, maintaining speed or in cruise. This is occurring when the eco light illuminates on the instrument panel. It is a known that these dormant cylinders can form oil deposits making rings and valves stick, fouled spark plugs dirty injectors. By disabling the VCM your engine will run on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. I use S-VCM.
2. New Air Filter
3. Clean the MAF. Remove sensor from the intake hose. Use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. With a few short bursts, spray directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
4. Air intake tube should be crack free, clamps tight.
5. New NGK Laser Iridiums Spark Plugs.
6. Inspect spark plug tubes and coils for oil (especially check cylinder 3 where your misfire code is). Replace spark plug tube seals if needed.
7. Replace PCV valve.
8. Use Full Synthetic 0w20 oil (no blends, semi synthetic or Extended Performance oils).
9. Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel (best). Or fuel injector cleaner with unbranded gasoline.
10. (Italian tune up) Take your vehicle out on the Highway for some long extended periods of highway speed driving. This will clean the cylinders that were laying dormant with an active VCM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts