Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if others have gotten this issue in 2015 ( or post 2013 in general ). The class action settlement only went thru 2013.

We got the error at 61000 miles so post warranty ( and our after market warranty won't cover ).

Working with Honda now to try to resolve ( get them to cover ) but curious to know if others have hit same issue. Seems like they didn't actually fix anything post 2013, just only covered thru 2013 when settling the class action.

Seems like the engine is just poorly designed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To expand a bit. Got the check engine light and various other lights. Service had to take the engine apart so warranty company could diagnose. Basically one of the pistons seized due to carbon build up and thus extended warranty company won't cover it. This appears to be exactly what the class action lawsuit was about and resulted in Honda extending power train warranty to 8 years ( unlimited mileage ) for 2009-2013 pilots ( and many other models ).

Bill for fix is around $4000 so working with Honda to get them to cover fully ( and going to shoot for getting warranty extended ).

Wondering if other have seen similar issues with post 2013 models.

Seems like they didn't actually fix anything in the engine just settled the class action and extended coverage for 2009 thru current model year at the time of settlement ( 2013 ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2014, and got a P0303 error last week. honda is replacing the piston rings. So yes, it's still an issue, and I hope that Honda will make right by it.

Right now, I've been offered 50% off the cost of the piston ring job. They're doing the timing belt for $650, apparently just a parts cost. Hoping Honda will reconsider and do the entire job like they do for 2013s and prior.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
One would think after all this crap going on they would redesign the engine to improve the issue ... so basically we are all buying a ticking bomb eventually with these stupid rings.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it were my Pilot throwing these codes, I'd be tempted to throw in 6 new plugs, and a VCMMuzzler (whichever flavor) and see if that kept the codes away, eliminated oil usage and improved drivability.

After putting in the VCMMuzzler on my '12, I pulled all the plugs and sand blasted them and drove for another 30k miles until replacing the plugs as part of normal service. So far no codes, oil consumption or CEL. Just turned 110k miles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It isnt the stupid rings... it is the stupid ECO mode using VCM.
Yep, I'm convinced after reading posts for 3 years, that the whole ring issue is a secondary problem. Since Honda can't/won't provide a VCM disable, the only sanctioned solution is to re-ring the VCM controlled cylinders.

Further, I am highly suspicious that the "ring gaps align and cause oil consumption" is the entire or even the salient cause. If the rings on VCM cylinders "jiggle" around the where their gaps align, they will also continue to jiggle to where the gaps don't align. Given the very small gaps, it would suggest that the gaps are *hardly ever* aligned as they continue to jockey about.

It would seem the better narrative is that for VCM controlled cylinders, during extended periods of shutdown and running "cold", the pistons and rings don't expand like in the other cylinders, and don't seal the cylinder well, allowing a lot more oil to get into and build up in the combustion chamber of those cylinders, leading to oil consumption, plug fouling and the dreaded P03xx codes.

Empirically, many members have posted a cessation of oil consumption after installing VMMuzzler or its kin. For those that installed Muzzler early in the Pilots life, they likely never saw plug fouling or P codes.

IMHO, it's pretty cheap and easy to install 6 new plugs and a Muzzler, clear the P-codes, and see what happens, before plunging into a non-warranty ring job.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Totally agree.

I think the new ring design does help with this issue, as owners with those generally don't see spark plug codes until mileage gets higher, where as models covered under the extended warranty/class action saw the issue randomly, with some being MUCH sooner.

My 2011 never threw a code, with 100k miles, and the plugs showed evidence of the issue (more oil fouling on 1-4, cracked insulators due to detonation)..... however some vehicles saw issues much sooner.

The biggest issue is that if you get a lot more carbon buildup with those cylinders off, you likely are wearing rings, so even with a VCM muzzler/tuner disable - those cylinders will never be 100% as they could be. Only a compression test after disabling VCM and cleaning the cylinders out for a while, would prove that or show how significant the wear is.

I'll just be disabling mine with VCMtuner, and calling it a day. I only expect 50 to 60k more miles out of mine over the next 4 years.

I certainly will think twice about buying another Honda... especially with this engine, or VCM in the design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts