Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me see how to explain the situation... I have a 2015 Honda Pilot SE. Current mileage is around 117,000. I bought the Honda certified vehicle used with around 40,000. At around 100,000 miles (about a year ago) the car threw a P0301 code and ran very rough. It was diagnosed by a friend who is a mechanic but not affiliated with Honda. We found that the porcelain on the number one plug partially fell apart. We put the plug back in and I took the vehicle to Honda and they advised that it would not be covered under the certified warranty. Out of pocket I paid the dealership to replace all 6 plugs and clear any codes. The adviser told me that i shouldn't be worried about any parts of the plug that fell apart. I said ummmm ok.
Fast forward
Two days ago the Pilot threw the P0301 code again and it started to run sluggish. We pulled the number one plug again and found a very small crack in the porcelain. Using a scope we looked into the cylinder and found it to have carbon build up.
We replaced the plug at $24 and cleared the codes. It runs fine once again.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
First and foremost, I'd disable the VCM. This will keep all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time and will help with the carbon buildup, along with some other basic maintenance...
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake tube leak free
  • MAF cleaning
  • Disable the VCM
  • Spark plugs New/Clean
  • Spark plug tubes dry, oil free
  • Coils oil free, firing
  • PCV valve replaced
  • EGR valve replace (150k+ if rough idle)
  • O2 sensors good no engine code
  • Full synthetic oil 0w20
  • Top Tier gasoline 87 octane or regularly use injector cleaner
  • Disable the VCM
  • Italian tune up, long highway speed drives

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
749 Posts
The carbon is because it's burning oil. The porcelain cracked because oil drastically lowers the octane of gasoline and it detonating. The engine needs new rings on the rear bank. Being a 13, it may still fall under the warranty extension for this, 8yrs from the in service date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carbon is because it's burning oil. The porcelain cracked because oil drastically lowers the octane of gasoline and it detonating. The engine needs new rings on the rear bank. Being a 13, it may still fall under the warranty extension for this, 8yrs from the in service date.
Its a 2015 SE Pilot. As far as the oil. Ill check again but it doesn't seem to be consuming oil...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First and foremost, I'd disable the VCM. This will keep all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time and will help with the carbon buildup, along with some other basic maintenance...
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake tube leak free
  • MAF cleaning
  • Disable the VCM
  • Spark plugs New/Clean
  • Spark plug tubes dry, oil free
  • Coils oil free, firing
  • PCV valve replaced
  • EGR valve replace (150k+ if rough idle)
  • O2 sensors good no engine code
  • Full synthetic oil 0w20
  • Top Tier gasoline 87 octane or regularly use injector cleaner
  • Disable the VCM
  • Italian tune up, long highway speed drives
How do you disable the VCM???? Will Disabling the VCM throw a engine light??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying that Honda has an extended warranty due to this problem. Just trying to gather all the facts before I approach the dealer

·
Registered
11,438 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I for some reason thought I read you had a 13 instead of a 15, unfortunately yours wouldn't be covered under the extension.
Investigating this situation deeper. My pilot is indeed consuming more oil than normal. With that said I have additional thoughts and questions about my problem. The class action lawsuit covered 09-13 however the automaker continued to use the same engine thru the 2015 model. Why wouldn't this be covered? What are the suggestions in approaching both the dealership and the automaker????

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
Investigating this situation deeper. My pilot is indeed consuming more oil than normal. With that said I have additional thoughts and questions about my problem. The class action lawsuit covered 09-13 however the automaker continued to use the same engine thru the 2015 model. Why wouldn't this be covered? What are the suggestions in approaching both the dealership and the automaker????
I wouldn't want the dealership tearing into my 2015 engine unless it was something major. The things I wrote in post #2 has stopped my excessive oil consumption, emission and misfire codes. Most of the things on the list are easy DIY.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Honda has been standing by the terms of the class action settlement. I have yet to see them cover one outside of those terms. If you are the ORIGINAL owner, Honda might help with some of the cost. The dealer can't and won't be able to do anything for you.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If it were me, I'd choose of the VCM disablers and run it a while. My guess is that the oil consumption will decline and the #1 plug won't foul again, or wont foul for many more miles. Because....my understanding of VCM mode is that it keeps intake and exhaust valves closed which, as the piston pumps over several minutes, a slight vacuum can be generated in the shutoff cylinders at the bottom of what would be intake and combustion strokes, which can draw oil in around the rings, pooling on the piston. And especially so if the ring gaps are somewhat aligned, exacerbating the issue.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Really depends on how stuck the rings are, if barely stuck, disabling the vcm and driving it hard for awhile will probably fix it. However many I have to use a small screwdriver and hammer to get the oil control rings out. Guessing that's not going to work itself out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Almost free to try....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts