Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Our 2005 Honda Pilot is due its bi-yearly Smog Check and unfortunately, the dreaded P0173 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2) code has reared its ugly head. I've done a bunch of research on Google and my head is spinning like Linda Blair in the Exorcist! It appears the most logical troubleshooting should be a Vacuum Hose leak first. Or, at least that's what most people online are saying, and it makes sense. But, aside from a Vacuum Leak, can anyone chime in and make any other troubleshooting suggestions to alleviate this code?

Thank you in advance for any/all replies!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Ignition coil(s) could be misfiring. I'd inspect each coil, insure each one is firing. Inspect spark plug tubes for engine oil. If oil is present, it would need the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tubes seals replaced.
Are spark plugs new?
NGK Laser Iridiums?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ignition coil(s) could be misfiring. I'd inspect each coil, insure each one is firing. Inspect spark plug tubes for engine oil. If oil is present, it would need the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tubes seals replaced.
Are spark plugs new?
NGK Laser Iridiums?
Hi Nail Grease! I was going to put all this in my original post and had a brain fart! Yes, 2 months ago I changed out all Spark plugs with NGK Laser Iridiums and Ignition Coils. But tomorrow I'll check for oil. Great suggestion. Thank you!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
And make sure to torque your spark plugs to spec, hoping you have a torque wrench, as they have been known to back out.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
And make sure to torque your spark plugs to spec, hoping you have a torque wrench, as they have been known to back out.
Good point! they offer up some resistance until the washer is crushed.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like our Valves needed to be adjusted. That's why the engine was running rich. Mechanic said some of the valves were loose. He said he sees this a lot with 2005 Pilots!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like our Valves needed to be adjusted. That's why the engine was running rich. Mechanic said some of the valves were loose. He said he sees this a lot with 2005 Pilots!
Hopefully it helps. Please let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully, it helps. Please let us know how things turn out.
So they adjusted the Valves and the code went away but then the dreaded PO420 Catalytic Converter code popped up! I'm ready to shoot myself in the head!!! (JK) Not sure what to do now. I've spent way too much money so far trying to get this vehicle Smog Passed. If anyone has any suggestions for a PO420 code, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
So they adjusted the Valves and the code went away but then the dreaded PO420 Catalytic Converter code popped up! I'm ready to shoot myself in the head!!! (JK) Not sure what to do now. I've spent way too much money so far trying to get this vehicle Smog Passed. If anyone has any suggestions for a PO420 code, I'm all ears!
I wouldn't panic just yet. What's the milage? This emission code can come and go. Before moving to some major, let's rule out the easy stuff.
  1. Air filter New/Clean
  2. Air intake tube leak free clamps tight. Inspect for cracks.
  3. If the intake tube has been drawing in unfiltered air for a long time, the throttle body may need to be be removed and cleaned, inside and out.
  4. Spark plugs New/Clean NGK Laser Iridiums
  5. Spark plug tubes oil free. If holding oil, replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold plenum gasket if doing valve covers.
  6. Coils firing. Replace any oil soaked, swollen boots.
  7. No O2 sensor codes
  8. Replace PCV valve
  9. Replace EGR valve (if high milage and unexplained rough idle.
  10. Use full synthetic oil 5w20. No extended performance or semi blends.
  11. Use top tier 87 octane fuel or regularly use injector cleaner.
  12. Take on some long highway speed drives.
If these things are in order, then will have to look into something else more serious.

Has the timing belt water pump job been done?

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't panic just yet. What's the milage? This emission code can come and go. Before moving to some major, let's rule out the easy stuff.
  1. Air filter New/Clean
  2. Air intake tube leak free clamps tight. Inspect for cracks.
  3. If the intake tube has been drawing in unfiltered air for a long time, the throttle body may need to be be removed and cleaned, inside and out.
  4. Spark plugs New/Clean NGK Laser Iridiums
  5. Spark plug tubes oil free. If holding oil, replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold plenum gasket if doing valve covers.
  6. Coils firing. Replace any oil soaked, swollen boots.
  7. No O2 sensor codes
  8. Replace PCV valve
If these things are in order, then will have to look into something else more serious.

Has the timing belt water pump job been done?
Thank you, Nail Grease,

Here is what I've done so far in the past 4 months;
  1. Air filter New/Clean
    DONE.
  2. Air intake tube leak-free clamps tight. Inspect for cracks.
    DONE. GARAGE DID A SMOKE LEAK CHECK LAST WEEK. NOTHING FOUND.
  3. If the intake tube has been drawing in unfiltered air for a long time, the throttle body may need to be removed and cleaned, inside and out.
    DONE.
  4. Spark plugs New/Clean NGK Laser Iridium
    DONE. I CHANGED THEM OUT 4 MONTHS AGO AND THE GARAGE CHANGED THEM AGAIN LAST WEEK FOR ME WHEN HE INSPECTED THE PLUGS BECAUSE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING RICH.
  5. Spark plug tubes oil-free. If holding oil, replace valve cover gaskets grommets, and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold plenum gasket if doing valve covers.
    DONE. OIL-FREE.
  6. Coils firing. Replace any oil-soaked, swollen boots.
    DONE. INSTALLED NEW COILS 4 MONTHS AGO.
  7. No O2 sensor codes
    NO O2 SENSOR CODES.
  8. Replace PCV valve
    DONE. LAST WEEK.
    DONE 4 MONTHS AGO.
    DONE. ONLY OIL I USE.
    DONE. USE THE SAME 76 GAS STATION FOR 16 YEARS. THROW IN INJECTOR CLEANER ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH.
    DONE. WE DRIVE ON THE HIWAY JUST ABOUT EVERY WEEKEND. EVERY THREE MONTHS 1600 MILE TRIP UP NORTH.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thank you, Nail Grease,

Here is what I've done so far in the past 4 months;
  1. Air filter New/Clean
    DONE.
  2. Air intake tube leak-free clamps tight. Inspect for cracks.
    DONE. GARAGE DID A SMOKE LEAK CHECK LAST WEEK. NOTHING FOUND.
  3. If the intake tube has been drawing in unfiltered air for a long time, the throttle body may need to be removed and cleaned, inside and out.
    DONE.
  4. Spark plugs New/Clean NGK Laser Iridium
    DONE. I CHANGED THEM OUT 4 MONTHS AGO AND THE GARAGE CHANGED THEM AGAIN LAST WEEK FOR ME WHEN HE INSPECTED THE PLUGS BECAUSE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING RICH.
  5. Spark plug tubes oil-free. If holding oil, replace valve cover gaskets grommets, and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold plenum gasket if doing valve covers.
    DONE. OIL-FREE.
  6. Coils firing. Replace any oil-soaked, swollen boots.
    DONE. INSTALLED NEW COILS 4 MONTHS AGO.
  7. No O2 sensor codes
    NO O2 SENSOR CODES.
  8. Replace PCV valve
    DONE. LAST WEEK.
    DONE 4 MONTHS AGO.
    DONE. ONLY OIL I USE.
    DONE. USE THE SAME 76 GAS STATION FOR 16 YEARS. THROW IN INJECTOR CLEANER ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH.
    DONE. WE DRIVE ON THE HIWAY JUST ABOUT EVERY WEEKEND. EVERY THREE MONTHS 1600 MILE TRIP UP NORTH.
Thanks again!
Do you currently have an engine code or just have positive fuel trims?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts