Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 that started idling rough and threw a P0172. Then P0300, P0301, thru
P0306. Five months ago I had the timing belt replaced and the valves adjusted.
I have done the following:
New Denso plugs
New EGR valve
New O2 sensor. Bank 1
Idle relearn
New MAP sensor
Used a full can of carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks
New air filter
Oil change
New PCV
Burped the radiator.

I have moved the coils around looking for the rough idle to follow. No change. I can unhook the bank 1 sensors one at a time and nothing changes. That prompted the new o2 sensor.
Any advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
How old are your battery and alternator?
Did you hook up the code reader and check the O2 sensor signals and fuel trims?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery and alt are less than a year. System A and B are closed loop - using o2 sensors as feedback for fuel control. Long term Bank 2- 6.3%. Short term 4.7%. Bank 1 long term -18.00%. Short term -27.3%

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the original post I meant to say that I can unhook the bank 1 coils one at a time and nothing changes not sensors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2008 that started idling rough and threw a P0172. Then P0300, P0301, thru
P0306. Five months ago I had the timing belt replaced and the valves adjusted.
I have done the following:
New Denso plugs
New EGR valve
New O2 sensor. Bank 1
Idle relearn
New MAP sensor
Used a full can of carb cleaner looking for vacuum leaks
New air filter
Oil change
New PCV
Burped the radiator.

I have moved the coils around looking for the rough idle to follow. No change. I can unhook the bank 1 sensors one at a time and nothing changes. That prompted the new o2 sensor.
Any advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Did the rough idling happen after the timing and valve adjustment?

Have you ran through some fuel injector cleaner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. After the belt and valves. I have suspended bad gas. I am trying Techron but the tank was full when this all started

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Your highly negative trims are indicative of leaking inkectors to my uneducated guess. Let's see what others say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. After the replacement of all six injectors failed to resolve the rough idle, I caved and took the pilot to the dealership. They kept it overnight and I prepared for the worst. They called and said the timing belt had jumped a tooth but everything else looked good. Cost was $275. Hope is does not recur.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
That is pretty inexpensive for the job. Sounds like your dealer has decency.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Update. After the replacement of all six injectors failed to resolve the rough idle, I caved and took the pilot to the dealership. They kept it overnight and I prepared for the worst. They called and said the timing belt had jumped a tooth but everything else looked good. Cost was $275. Hope is does not recur.
IMHO, the timing belt did not "jump a tooth". When you had the timing belt replaced, the installer made the mistake and did a sloppy job. Just my opinion, but I don't think that the belt would jump a tooth easily.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Sadly, I suspect @STMech is right. I think you got the Guilty Conscience Discount.

Five months ago I had the timing belt replaced and the valves adjusted.

In any case, glad it's running smoothly again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts