Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slight rant here.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD. No Honda Sensing.

Annoyed that after 5 years and 45,000 miles of driving, I have an "emissions" CEL message pop up on the dashboard. I connected my OBDLink LX with OBDLink app and it shows a confirmed P0159 error, Oxygen Sensor for Bank 2, Sensor 2.

This car has had a lot of little things over our five years of ownership. I'm not really too happy.

The first "HomeLink" button doesn't work. Dealer couldn't duplicate because "they don't have a garage door" to test on, but yet, when I push any other button, I see the red actuation light flicker. Not on button 1. Still not fixed. At least, haven't asked since it was out of warranty. I'm sure they could find a way to find a way to fix it now $$$...

Next, the "ground wire" to the low beams failed/burned out.

Constantly, the infotainment screen seems to often but not always "forget" to show the station presets on the bottom of the radio page. If you push the button it works, but you don't know what channel you're pushing. "Unable to duplicate" for a few appointments, and then "Confirmed issue, but unable to repair."

This thing seems like a money pit waiting to happen. I purchased this over another vehicle because of the Honda name and quality, and yet, now only after 5 years I am replacing emissions components? I owned a Subaru for 10+ years and never had to do anything. My wife previously had a Nissan for nearly 10 years with also very minimal repairs.

Is there anything I should do before I bring it in again for a repair? I will try to clear the MAF sensor. There's no gas cap so I don't think it's a fuel issue quality problem. Top Tier always.

Frustrated - impeccably maintained, and yet, here we are.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
P0159
  • Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2
  • Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor
  • Bank 2 harness is open or shorted
  • Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Inappropriate fuel pressure
  • Faulty fuel injectors
  • Intake air leaks may be faulty
  • Exhaust gas leaks
Yes, I would definitely clean the MAF. I use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. I'd also make sure the air filter is clean an installed correctly. The box and intake tube must be leak free, clamps tight.
There is a need to rule out faulty fuel injectors. The one thing that will cause dirty clogged fuel injectors is the VCM. The VCM causes all 3 bank 2 cylinders to lay dormant when coasting or in cruise. I would Disable the VCM. I use S-VCM. By having all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time, it will help to clean those cylinders, with carbon buildup hopefully the injectors too. This also takes a big strain off the engine and transmission. Vibrations have been known to cause a torque converter clutch lock issue. I'd use fuel injector cleaner and/or use top Tier 87 octane fuel.
I'd also remove clean inspect the back 3 spark plugs.
All these measures will help the vehicles performance, regardless if it does not fix your engine code. Since this code is so specific to the bottom O2 sensor below the back catalytic converter, me personally I wouldn't want to wait around and see if these other things will fix it. I'd replace it since I DIY. If you take it to a mechanic, if he's an honest mechanic, he'll test it before telling you it needs replacing.

NTK 24475 (Actual OEM part)
This part is specific for your 6-speed transmission.

Reactions: pilot1226

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
2016 Pilot EX-L AWD. No Honda Sensing.

Annoyed that after 5 years and 45,000 miles of driving, I have an "emissions" CEL message pop up on the dashboard. I connected my OBDLink LX with OBDLink app and it shows a confirmed P0159 error, Oxygen Sensor for Bank 2, Sensor 2.

Is there anything I should do before I bring it in again for a repair?
The oxygen sensors are covered for three years and 50K miles.
If the sensor is found to be at fault, I'd try to get Honda to cover it under the 50K mile part of the warranty.
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2016_Honda_Pilot_-_EWPL_-_APL14082_SIS.pdf
(Note that some other emissions related parts have an even longer warranty period.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m over 3 years - I bought it 5 years ago in July 2016.

I am thinking about test driving a Highlander Hybrid and just being done with it. I would consider the VCM thing if I keep the car but I’m so just done with the “Honda” name that used to be quality.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the injectors are covered under extended warranty but how do I know that it’s those and not the O2 sensor. Wouldn’t Injectors have their own code @Nail Grease

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I know the injectors are covered under extended warranty but how do I know that it’s those and not the O2 sensor. Wouldn’t Injectors have their own code @Nail Grease
There is a TSB for replacing injectors. This is taken under consideration when you have emissions codes P0420 and/or P0430. Or if you actually have an injector code P219A or B. Or misfire code(s), P0300-P0306.
I'd never try to talk anyone out of ditching a 2016 Pilot. They are not exactly trouble free. But I would not let this O2 sensor code be the reason to cause me to make that decision. This sensor cost $47 + shipping on RockAuto.
For my 2017 EX-L, I can not go without the S-VCM disabling device modification. My vehicle has the torque converter clutch lock issue. This device prevents this. I did recently replace my injectors for a P219A code. I hope this will be the last of my problems for a while.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't do it myself, just don't have the tools or patience. Oil changes are one thing, but I don't want to get into the business end of the engine doing it.

I used the OBD reader I have to pull the P0159 code, so my belief is that my local dealer will say, yeah, it's the O2 sensor, without having any mention of the whole fuel injector thing that I received paperwork on.

My wife is the daily driver of this car and it's become more and more frustrating with the little things that keep happening. Much of that is the infotainment. The main reason we bought the Pilot years ago was because of limited Highlander 8 pax inventory years ago, and lack of other options. We definitely did not want a Ford! Now, there are Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, VW and other competitors out there. I'm pretty set on the Highlander if we chose to replace it, as the hybrid would basically double our fuel economy since we are primarily suburban/city drivers, but I suppose I need to get this check engine taken care of before I do it.

There are no other specific codes as referenced in the extended warranty bulletin I received in the mail.

I agree with you that the O2 sensor in general isn't a deal breaker, but it's just been one thing after another. I must've had 5 or more trips for repairs-only to the dealer outside of regular maintenance intervals. That's nuts. Part of the reason we went with the Honda was because of their reputation, but 40k before an O2 sensor cans out just makes me thing "what's next?"

The bigger issue as I've said is that my wife drives this every day. When there's a problem, it becomes my problem. While Toyotas are more expensive, I'd gladly pay an extra couple thousand for the Highlander Hybrid (XLE or Limited, to be determined) and save on fuel and repairs in the long run.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I won't do it myself, just don't have the tools or patience. Oil changes are one thing, but I don't want to get into the business end of the engine doing it.

I used the OBD reader I have to pull the P0159 code, so my belief is that my local dealer will say, yeah, it's the O2 sensor, without having any mention of the whole fuel injector thing that I received paperwork on.

My wife is the daily driver of this car and it's become more and more frustrating with the little things that keep happening. Much of that is the infotainment. The main reason we bought the Pilot years ago was because of limited Highlander 8 pax inventory years ago, and lack of other options. We definitely did not want a Ford! Now, there are Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, VW and other competitors out there. I'm pretty set on the Highlander if we chose to replace it, as the hybrid would basically double our fuel economy since we are primarily suburban/city drivers, but I suppose I need to get this check engine taken care of before I do it.

There are no other specific codes as referenced in the extended warranty bulletin I received in the mail.

I agree with you that the O2 sensor in general isn't a deal breaker, but it's just been one thing after another. I must've had 5 or more trips for repairs-only to the dealer outside of regular maintenance intervals. That's nuts. Part of the reason we went with the Honda was because of their reputation, but 40k before an O2 sensor cans out just makes me thing "what's next?"

The bigger issue as I've said is that my wife drives this every day. When there's a problem, it becomes my problem. While Toyotas are more expensive, I'd gladly pay an extra couple thousand for the Highlander Hybrid (XLE or Limited, to be determined) and save on fuel and repairs in the long run.
I enjoy giving advice on the forum. The last thing I'd want to do is try to tell someone what to do. I try to phrase things as to what I would do. Getting an O2 sensor replaced at the dealership would be $350+. A torque wrench and special O2 sensor socket at Harbor Freight plus the sensor would be about $100 a little more to have the part overnight. It not a difficult DIY. A couple of YouTube videos can get you familiar with the job. Pressing the clip to release the harness may be the biggest challenge. I'll do anything to keep my vehicle out of the shop, but ya, a new Highlander sounds nice to, if it's in the budget.

Reactions: pilot1226

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Apparently the issue went away. No more light. It can’t be the gas cap - there isn’t one. I should run and get this thing inspected ASAP!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'll connect my OBD reader and see if anything is pending still. The 0159 was "confirmed" and then went away. Perhaps I should run some Techron through it at my next fillup anyway.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Yeah, I'll connect my OBD reader and see if anything is pending still. The 0159 was "confirmed" and then went away. Perhaps I should run some Techron through it at my next fillup anyway.
When you plug your OBD II reader in, tell us what your short and long term fuel trims are. What is the MAF reading? That may give us more insight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll check it out. I was planning to clean the MAF anyway the next chance I had an hour with the Mrs.' car.

Would weird fuel trims be indicative of the VCM problems you've mentioned earlier?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I'll check it out. I was planning to clean the MAF anyway the next chance I had an hour with the Mrs.' car.

Would weird fuel trims be indicative of the VCM problems you've mentioned earlier?
Fuel trim numbers can help determine if there is a fuel delivery problem. Sometimes these numbers can be scewed by a dirty MAF or vacuum leak.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No time yet for readings but did have a few minutes to clean the MAF sensor. Was the first time I did it in this car.

Ordered a can of Techron and will do a reading before and after.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Fuel trim numbers can help determine if there is a fuel delivery problem. Sometimes these numbers can be scewed by a dirty MAF or vacuum leak.
i am getting the P0159 emissions CEL on for a couple of days then it goes away, here are the readings off the OBDII

·
Registered
11,501 Posts

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
my bad corrected it to P0159
👍
Unless your up to testing it, I'd replace the bottom O2 sensor below the front catalytic converter, then see how your numbers shake out afterwards.
[See post #2]
For a 2016 Elite 9-speed...

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,335 Posts
Just wondering if this is covered by the emission equipment warranty. Think that’s 7/70k

1 - 20 of 25 Posts