Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've tried searching the forum and the web for this issue, but I'm not seeing an obvious answer and it's hard to follow all the links on my phone. I'm about 250 miles from home and the check engine light on my 04 Pilot just came on, scan tool app says it's a P0135 code, which apparently means the upstream oxygen sensor. I've tried clearing the code but it comes back immediately, and VTM-4 light is also on. Is there a fuse I should check somewhere, or anything else I can do easily while in an Autozone parking lot, or is it safe to drive home like this and just replace the sensor when I get home?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
Hi all, I've tried searching the forum and the web for this issue, but I'm not seeing an obvious answer and it's hard to follow all the links on my phone. I'm about 250 miles from home and the check engine light on my 04 Pilot just came on, scan tool app says it's a P0135 code, which apparently means the upstream oxygen sensor. I've tried clearing the code but it comes back immediately, and VTM-4 light is also on. Is there a fuse I should check somewhere, or anything else I can do easily while in an Autozone parking lot, or is it safe to drive home like this and just replace the sensor when I get home?
It’s perfectly fine to drive with a bad o2 sensor of course bad gas mileage as far as the VTM-4 could be a bad sensor of broken wire to the sensor but I would drive it home as long as it’s moving and transmission fluid is fine and the suv is not locking up I hope this helps

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
@andywatson ...just drive the Pilot home. At RockAuto the NGK or Denso O2 sensors are not very expensive and may solve the problem. HF has an inexpensive O2 sensor socket if you decide not to cut the wires before the sensor.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I bought a $100+ Bosch O2 sensor on short notice from AutoZone. It didn't last long and had to replace it again. I only trust Denso.
Was NTK 24585 OE for 04 Pilots? It's about $30 more expensive than Denso 2344368.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I made it home last night. I just wanted a little reassurance that I wasn't going to hurt the engine or the cat by driving it so far with a bad sensor. Interesting couple of things happened though. The day's summary: I filled up with gas when I left home. I made one quick stop for 10 minutes about 100 miles into the journey, when I started the engine, the Check Engine light came on. Torque app said 0 volts on the oxygen sensor. Clearing the code had no effect, it immediately reappeared. Multiple stops of various duration during the next several hours didn't fix it either, code reader always showed the same fault and 0 volts. I drove about 200 miles through the Poconos mountains with the Check Engine light on and the VTM-4 light on. Then I stopped for gas because I was getting low. Filled up the tank, restarted the engine, and the VTM-4 light was off. Oxygen sensor was reading a proper voltage again, so I cleared the code with the app, the CE light went off, and stayed off for the rest of my drive, about 150 more miles.

I calculate my MPG every time I fill up, and what's interesting is that I got 20.6 mpg on that tank of gas where the CE and VTM lights were on for two-thirds of the tank. I would have thought I'd get worse gas mileage with an oxygen sensor failure, driving that far and through mountains. For reference, I usually get around 17-18 MPG on this particular trip. I've only gotten a higher mpg (21.0) one other time, when I did some flat interstate driving in Virginia using ethanol-free gas. I replaced the downstream O2 sensor last summer, but didn't replace the upstream one because the previous owner's service notes say he replaced it with a Bosch about 50k miles ago. I'll replace it with a Denso for good measure, but it seems to be okay for now.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Thanks guys, I made it home last night. I just wanted a little reassurance that I wasn't going to hurt the engine or the cat by driving it so far with a bad sensor. Interesting couple of things happened though. The day's summary: I filled up with gas when I left home. I made one quick stop for 10 minutes about 100 miles into the journey, when I started the engine, the Check Engine light came on. Torque app said 0 volts on the oxygen sensor. Clearing the code had no effect, it immediately reappeared. Multiple stops of various duration during the next several hours didn't fix it either, code reader always showed the same fault and 0 volts. I drove about 200 miles through the Poconos mountains with the Check Engine light on and the VTM-4 light on. Then I stopped for gas because I was getting low. Filled up the tank, restarted the engine, and the VTM-4 light was off. Oxygen sensor was reading a proper voltage again, so I cleared the code with the app, the CE light went off, and stayed off for the rest of my drive, about 150 more miles.

I calculate my MPG every time I fill up, and what's interesting is that I got 20.6 mpg on that tank of gas where the CE and VTM lights were on for two-thirds of the tank. I would have thought I'd get worse gas mileage with an oxygen sensor failure, driving that far and through mountains. For reference, I usually get around 17-18 MPG on this particular trip. I've only gotten a higher mpg (21.0) one other time, when I did some flat interstate driving in Virginia using ethanol-free gas. I replaced the downstream O2 sensor last summer, but didn't replace the upstream one because the previous owner's service notes say he replaced it with a Bosch about 50k miles ago. I'll replace it with a Denso for good measure, but it seems to be okay for now.
Glad you made it home safely.
I just have Lol your experience with the Bosch O2 sensor. It's proven time and time again that they dont last.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Bosch makes great power tools and dishwashers but have a negative rep for O2 sensors in Hondas. Since the CEL is currently off either leave it alone or order one from RA for a warmer project day and when you're in the mood for wrenching.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
Glad to hear you made it back home okay. Keep us posted on what you find.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Pink tools and tool box could help.
View attachment 144331
👩‍🔧
Gee, you could have fooled me. I didn't think you were the type.

I have the whole house, garage and place to myself for the weekend. And I'm in the mood to wrench away. One small problem. My wimmens took the Pilot to fit all their luggage in. Why do they pack all the clothes they own for a two day trip?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Why do they pack all the clothes they own for a two day trip?
You ought to know better by now, as I have come to understand, that you will never win that conversation.

Keep researching. You might ask for some help.

Hint: The spoiler reveals my favorite forum picture of all of 2020. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
You ought to know better by now, as I have come to understand, that you will never win that conversation.

Hotels do provide sign to hang outside before taking whole day sight-seeing tour bus.
COVID time, no room service. Perfect! bring the whole house and feel right at home.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've driven a few times since Friday when I got the code, and I haven't had any new codes show up. Is it possible that it was just a temporary issue and I shouldn't take the time to replace the sensor now, or should I go ahead and replace it because it will definitely fail again?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I would wait until the CEL pops again plus its too cold to be wrenching with a mini-storm in the forecast. Now if you were in CA you could be in skivvies..

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I would wait until the CEL pops again plus its too cold to be wrenching with a mini-storm in the forecast. Now if you were in CA you could be in skivvies..
I'd hate to have to dig in the snow for a little RockAuto box that O2 sensor will come in. Op already has delivery guy problems with them leaving packages out by the street.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
1 - 20 of 26 Posts