Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my power steering pump has been making groaning noises when turning. Some previous posts mention to replace the o-ring. Is the best place to start? Also, what is the part number for the o-ring and where is it located?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was hearing noise out of my power steering also and after doing some research I found that the first possible fix was to replace the power steering fluid without completely draining the system through the bottom of the vehicle. I went to Harbor Freight and Tools and bought a fluid transfer pump, pumped all the fluid out of the power steering reservoir, filled it with new fluid, started the engine, turned the steering wheel completely right and left multiple times so that the fluid cycled through the p.s. system, shut the motor off and repeated the steps. I re-drained (with the pump) the fluid and cycled it through twice and the noise went away. This improved my steering performance, eliminated the noise, and was basically mess free. Make sure you use official Honda power steering fluid which you can pick up at a Honda dealership or order on line for less money. There are videos on line that demonstrate the processes whether you go with my mess free process or others which will usually take more time and work.

Good luck,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts