Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot. I’ve changed the thermostat with original parts. Car act like it want to overheat when I stop and sometimes it slowly goes back to normal. When I turn car off the fan come on but smells like rusty hot water I guess. There’s coolant in the reservoir but it doesn’t look like any is in the radiator. What could be wrong?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,884 Posts
There’s coolant in the reservoir but it doesn’t look like any is in the radiator. What could be wrong?
Don't drive anymore it until you get the radiator and hoses changed, for that and other reasons on a 2005.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,372 Posts
When you replaced the thermostat did you burp the air out of the cooling system after you added coolant? Perhaps you have a trapped air pocket in the system which isn’t allowing the engine to be properly cooled down.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Also when you turn the Pilot off and walk to the hood area do you get a whiff of a sweet smell (leaked coolant which has cooked)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if it smells sweet but I do smell something
When you replaced the thermostat did you burp the air out of the cooling system after you added coolant? Perhaps you have a trapped air pocket in the system which isn’t allowing the engine to be properly cooled down.
[/QUOTE

Not sure if he did. It was changed months ago.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Not sure if it smells sweet but I do smell something
Open up a bottle of coolant and smell it. Imagine what it would smell like if warmed up and slightly burnt. It’s a fairly distinct smell. Since you see no white smoke, look on the radiator for any blue (assuming there is Honda Type 2 coolant in the radiator) chalky substance on the radiator fins or base where metal meets plastic. If you see this the radiator is leaking.

But my money at this point is still on air in the cooling system. Did you bleed the air after replacing the thermostat? Or asking another way how many times did you fill the radiator and reservoir after replacing the thermostat? If your answer is once then likely there is air in the system.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
placing bets on the Rad being shot since it's an 05 and we all know they are bad for that year

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
When you fill the coolant into our engine, you have to step on the gas pedal at least once to burp the air.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To burp--turn on the engine, wait for the coolant to boil over (while you sip your tea), then turn on the heater for a few minutes while refilling the coolant (you may have to do this a few times) then replace the cap. Drive the car around the neighborhood a few times while watching the thermostat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To burp--turn on the engine, wait for the coolant to boil over (while you sip your tea), then turn on the heater for a few minutes while refilling the coolant (you may have to do this a few times) then replace the cap. Drive the car around the neighborhood a few times while watching the thermostat.
[/QUOTE

I drove the car today and the Temperature gauge went up again. I put the car in park and look under the hood and the fans were not on. Once I cut the car off the fans started working.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
OP, I’m going to suggest you read through this entire thread and answer the questions people are asking. Your answer will provide useful information that we can use to help you diagnose the issue.

The engine coolant temperature spiking multiple times is not good for the overall health of the engine.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If your fans are not turning on, use AC as a workaround until you figured out the root cause.
Max AC, max heat at the same time, and it should make it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts