Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Pilot EX-L with 12k miles. Yesterday my wife and I were returning home from a 4 hour roadtrip when I got a warning message that displayed on the radio screen the same way as an incoming text message would. The warning was for engine overheating and it stated that I needed to pull over immediately and shut off the vehicle and check the engine. The gauge cluster has a temp gauge and it was reading normal. We were on a dark highway and only about 3 miles from the next town so since the temp gauge was fine and there were no obvious smells or engine issues, I continued on into town and pulled off in a well lit parking lot. Raised the hood and confirmed there was not an overheating issue. When I restarted the car, the error message was gone, but on the top of the screen where it shows the phone connection, there was a warning indicator. After driving for several miles, that indicator went away. Car is fine this morning. Has anyone experienced this issue?

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Sounds like a hoax if your coolant level is fine.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,850 Posts
Never seen something like that happen. If you don't have a code scanner then if it was me, I would take the vehicle to an auto parts store. Most will scan the vehicle for an codes for free and see what it says or take it to the dealer and have them scan it just to make sure.

One question, are you using HondaLink? I have never had HondaLink send me an alert about a vehicle issue, but that is one of the functions of HondaLink. If you are you might pull up HondaLink on your phone and see if it has any information. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radiator is full and there is coolant in the recovery tank so that eliminates that possibility. The odd thing was it never gave any dash warning such as a check engine light or anything else other than the message on the radio display. I have an appt at the dealership later this week. Service manager said they will scan to see if it retained any codes when this happened.

·
Administrator
4,850 Posts
And from the sound of it, it's not even the car that said it, ie not the instrument cluster, just a text message looking message on the radio head unit.

·
Administrator
4,850 Posts
rmcilmoil, Did you have a phone connected to the vehicle via bluetooth by chance at the time? As crazy as it sounds, bluetooth is terribly un-secure, basically due to its short range. It is actually very easy to be in a vehicle in close proximity and retrieve basic data from a phone with a simple app and some simple know how. It's one of the reason I am glad Honda does not have bluetooth car play functions. It would open the phone up for lots of data collection.

I concur with nail grease this has the feeling of a hoax of some kind.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Next week on the news: Honda dealers are scamming customers by notifying owners that their car has cooling issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update. Dealership tech scanned the car but no codes or events were stored. They did tell me that Honda had rolled out an over the air software update that same day, but there is no way to tell if that was part of this glitch. They were as puzzled as I was. I did have 2 recalls that were pending that they took care of while I was there, so it wasn't a completely wasted trip. But no resolution of this issue and it seems to be a one time thing since my wife had been driving it daily since then with no issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had my '16 Pilot suddenly overheat. It happened several times before I got it to the dealer. Turns out there was an air bubble in the coolant.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I had my '16 Pilot suddenly overheat. It happened several times before I got it to the dealer. Turns out there was an air bubble in the coolant.
That is an interesting diagnosis. Did this just happened, or was work performed on the cooling system recently?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That is an interesting diagnosis. Did this just happened, or was work performed on the cooling system recently?
I was thinking a strange diagnosis......but then there are no details either.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 16 of 16 Posts