Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Also, and hopefully audio expert @scorrpio can chime in on this, but isn't the overhead DVD system proprietary and incompatible with other head units?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,574 Posts
Wow... the first suggestion is how about a little more info on the car year model, trim, ddin make model, what isn't working, etc.
Well we can assume OP has a 2003-2008 Pilot. We can also assume its the built in RES (rear entertainment system). So the trim is most likely EX-L w/RES.

To answer the question, the DVD player isn't just going to automatically work with a new aftermarket head unit. I don't know if it is possible to make the 2 pieces of equipment talk to each other.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The attached pdf quality is kinda crap, but if you check pages 23/24, you can see that factory audio unit is the center of the system, taking inputs from and controlling the DVD module, providing audio to rear headphone jacks, and sending audio/video to the screen module. This is 2003-2004, but 2005-2008 systems are very similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
All I know is we had got some library loaner CD's stuck in our ORM unit on our 08 SE. W/ DVD player, and RES OEM on the SE model.
I took the audio/CD unti apart.- gort the CD's out. F'd it up and the CD player no longer works.

BUT, I went online years ago and found out that the OEM DVD player- that still works- also will play and audio only CD!

I know, none of this actually helps the OP though.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
In all my years, I've never met a DVD player that doesn't also play audio CDs (and VCDs, BTW, which shows you how many years ago I started burning my own videos).

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
417 Posts
I have two suggestions to fix your problem. Reinstall the original equipment. Don't watch the rear DVD. I'm not aware of anyone that makes an adapter kit for this situation. I know it may be frustrating, but I want to do the same thing. We don't have kids, so no real need for the rear DVD.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you really want a functional rear entertainment system, there are options.
For example, this in place of factory DVD player.
It should be possible to wire something up using that and your factory overhead screen.

Or just replace the overhead unit with something like:

Finally, depending on what aftermarket unit you installed, you can have a more integrated solution.
I.e. better Alpine units can work with this module: Alpine DVE-5300 DVD player at Crutchfield
But you would also need to replace the factory overhead screen with something that takes HDMI input.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It should be possible to wire something up using that and your factory overhead screen.

Finally, depending on what aftermarket unit you installed, you can have a more integrated solution.
I.e. better Alpine units can work with this module: Alpine DVE-5300 DVD player at Crutchfield
But you would also need to replace the factory overhead screen with something that takes HDMI input.

When my daughter was young and her primary electronic entertainment was parent approved and purchased dvd's, I installed a dvd system in the minivan. It didn't take long for dvd's to end up on the floor, under the seat, lost in space never to be found again, scratched, damaged, etc. etc. You get the picture. So to teach her a lesson to be more responsible, we got a iPad and ripped the dvds and loaded them on the iPad. Boy did that show her!

Anyway, after a while we got tired of cleaning the dust off the unused dvd player and donated it. Rapidly advancing technology ... Salvation Army's best friend.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My kids are each on their own phone/tablet during trips. And they could not agree on what to play/watch since they were old enough to talk. So yeah never had much use for an RES.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
My RES primarily gets used when I'm, or should I say used to be in these times of pandemic, waiting for a family member or friend at the airport. I sit in back, pop a can of something refreshing yet non-alcoholic, and watch my DIY ripped and burned DVD compilations of Kraftwerk music videos.

Makes the unbearably impatient wait for someone to deplane and make their way through customs, immigration and baggage claim not only endurable, but fun me-time.

OK, I think you get the idea. I burned a 2-disc set.

But OP, you pretty well has two options if you want rear DVD: reinstall OEM or restart from scratch.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My RES primarily gets used when I'm, or should I say used to be in these times of pandemic, waiting for a family member or friend at the airport. I sit in back, pop a can of something refreshing yet non-alcoholic, and watch my DIY ripped and burned DVD compilations of Kraftwerk music videos.

Makes the unbearably impatient wait for someone to deplane and make their way through customs, immigration and baggage claim not only bearable, but fun me-time.

I give it a 5, Dick. Good beat. Easy to dance to and interesting lyrics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts