Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings I’m new and I have an
overfilled transmission 2005 pilot That will not downshift to D3 or 2 or 1. It was my mothers car before she passed away I also found the transmission fluid dipstick halfway up were the hole was not sealed.
Any suggestions on how to proceed to troubleshoot :
Should I drain it to level and attempt to shift?
It drives and shifts perfectly to “D” or reverse.

Other transmission issues are after starting car the VTM-4 lock light comes on, does self check and goes off but when pressed to engage the light does not come on. I don’t know if this is related to the transmission problem or not. Currently It has 92,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Standard prescription for transmission issues unless you've got an error code is drain and refill. Since you may not know how old the ATF is anyway, that's another indication for drain and refill. Capacity is 8 or 9 quarts - I don't recall. Only 3 will drain. When you refill, you're just diluting the dirty stuff with the new.

Pull the plug. Let it drain. Put 3+ quarts back in to get it to level. Drive it and see what happens. Repeat twice more if its not working yet, or if you're just feeling ambitious. Majority opinion posted here seems to be doing one drain / refill every other oil change as regular maintenance.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Its far easier and cleaner just to do a drain and refill. Trying to stop the drain part way through where you "think" it needs to stop is just plain messy.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,946 Posts
When I slightly overfilled the tranny fluid I stuck a piece of 1/4 inch irrigation tubing down the dipstick hole and pumped it out with a soap bottle dispenser. This was after the Pilot sat overnight and everything was nice and cool.

Also check the tranny level check procedure in the user manual. I believe you’re supposed to check it with the engine running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts