Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. Those with good amount on the Pilots (over 60K), can yall share your experience with the rig? Issues, repairs out of warranty or lack of thereof? Really curious how your Pliot treats you as you rack up miles. Thanks good lads

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am scared to reply for fear of tempting fate... ;-)

I have a 2017 Pilot EX-L AWD with ~85k miles. I have used the dealership where I purchased the car to perform maintenance based on manufacturer recommendations.

So far I have had no issues whatsoever aside from a battery that failed prematurely and was replaced under warranty. Everything else has been normal maintenance.

Overall I have been super impressed and pleased with my 2017 Pilot.

Cheers,
Morgan

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am scared to reply for fear of tempting fate... ;-)

I have a 2018 Pilot EX-L AWD with ~85k miles. I have used the dealership where I purchased the car to perform maintenance based on manufacturer recommendations.

So far I have had no issues whatsoever aside from a battery that failed prematurely and was replaced under warranty. Everything else has been normal maintenance.

Overall I have been super impressed and pleased with my 2017 Pilot.

Cheers,
Morgan
uh... is your Pilot 18 or 17?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
We probably should have an over 100,000 mile thread for this generation.
What if I rename this thread for 100,000 plus k miles thread

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
You could call it the "3G Pilot ATBR" thread - as in third generation Pilot after timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever works the best to attract the public! just looking for some real hands on experience with the pilots over 5yrs since mine is gonna be there mid next year. thanks yall

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Maybe rename..,
How Did You Limp Your 3rd Gen To 100k?

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 2016 Pilot Elite.. 226,000 Miles..

Only issue has been transmission replacement 2x.. 1 under warranty and one on my dime.. Each one lasted under 80,000 miles.. This last one is at about 90,000 so far so good.

Tires I get 100,000 out of.. Michelins, Continentals, right now I'm on Yokohamas.
Other than that, all I have done is standard maintenance.
No rattles, interior is great, paint is doing as well as you can expect from that many miles in the deep south of the U.S.

I've owned a lot of cars and only 2 have had real issues, but not enough for me to lose my mind over it and walk away from a brand forever.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,434 Posts

Only issue has been transmission replacement 2x.. 1 under warranty and one on my dime.. Each one lasted under 80,000 miles.. This last one is at about 90,000 so far so good.

Tires I get 100,000 out of.. Michelins, Continentals, right now I'm on Yokohamas.
No rattles, interior is great, paint is doing as well as you can expect from that many miles in the deep south of the U.S.

I've owned a lot of cars and only 2 have had real issues, but not enough for me to lose my mind over it and walk away from a brand forever.
That's 2x of really big "only's."

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's 2x of really big "only's."
Yes it is.. but 4k is cheaper than another SUV.. I drive close to 50k a year. Should I have had this problem? No, so now I will be more cautious buying my next vehicle and it probably won't be a Honda.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Yes it is.. but 4k is cheaper than another SUV.. I drive close to 50k a year. Should I have had this problem? No, so now I will be more cautious buying my next vehicle and it probably won't be a Honda.
I think the 9-speed will serve you well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

What was the cost of the tranny replacement on your dime?

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
2015 EX-L we purchased new six years ago this December.
121,xxx miles - my wife's daily driver.
I perform all general maintenance myself. AMSOIL synthetics throughout. Engine oil changed every 10,000-ish, trans fluid changed every 50K. Timing belt kit replaced this past summer at around 113k I think. Been through a few sets of tires. One battery replacement.

I just replaced both from wheel hub assemblies - the driver's side was going out. I went ahead and had the rotors turned and installed new pads since I had them off to replace the hubs.

Only issue I've been having is with the cam phaser assembly (?). It won't go into ECO mode and the CEL comes on. It'll work fine for several weeks, then shows up for a while, then goes away, then comes back, then goes away,.........
I can't remember the code I'm getting...it's been a while since I've read it. I'm not actually noticing any performance issues.

Other than that, it's been a great ride! The wife loves it and will probably drive it until the wheels fall off. LOL

On a side note, I've been meaning to post a pic of the original front pads I removed at 119k. They still had A LOT of pad left!

·
Registered
813 Posts

May I know if you had the VCM disabled or not? I'm sure VCM probably had something to do with your transmissions going out. It slips the torque converter to make it smoother. Someone like you which I'm assuming has a lot of highway miles would have the VCM on most of the time which as I said, will end up messing up your torque converter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
May I know if you had the VCM disabled or not? I'm sure VCM probably had something to do with your transmissions going out. It slips the torque converter to make it smoother. Someone like you which I'm assuming has a lot of highway miles would have the VCM on most of the time which as I said, will end up messing up your torque converter.
First time it was a Dogleg Gear Failure.. 2nd time it was a valve/solenoid failure.
No idea on VCM.. Not sure why VCM on interstate would have to slip anything.. i'm not changing gears.. If I drove in stop and go traffic, i'd get that theory. It's just all Beta hardware/software that we are running.. it's the life of using new tech in our vehicles. As bad as it is, it's not nearly as bad as my cars I owned from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and even 90's. after 2000, everything became so much better overall. 100k on tires, 10,000 mile oil changes, Struts last life of vehicle for many, brakes last forever unless your in hills, paint lasts, interiors don't rattle after 30,000 miles.. it's amazing.

Reactions: Brrreto and ys1219

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Not sure why VCM on interstate would have to slip anything.. i'm not changing gears.. If I drove in stop and go traffic, i'd get that theory.
The VCM slips the torque converter so that you do not feel the extra vibs when the rear bank of cylinders is shut down. It is definately going to be more of an issue when cruising on the highway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts