Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your outside temp off by about 7-10 degrees?

Mine seems to be. About to head home from work today, looked at the thermo out back (it's pretty accurate) and it was 106. Hopped in the Pilot, turn the key to ACC and it read 105. Pretty close.

Start the car, turn on the AC and the outside temps starts dropping. Keeps going down until it hits 97. Believe me, it is NOT 97 outside. Even after driving a bit, it still stays in the 96-98 range. Something's not right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was 106 outside. When I started my pilot, it read 104 which was pretty close, but as I started to drive, the temp went down to 97. And it wasn't 97 outside for sure. I also think that there is something wrong. :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing happened with our Explorer - and the explanation seems to make sense. On the weather forecast, the temperature they give is really a heat index (temperature + humidity=heat index or feels like temperature.) Since the car's temperature gauge isn't sophisticated enough to sense and calculate humidity, the reading is strictly a temperature reading.

Lisa

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine seems to be off too. When it has been around 100 outside the Pilot shows 92 or 93.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lisa Marie said:
The same thing happened with our Explorer - and the explanation seems to make sense. On the weather forecast, the temperature they give is really a heat index (temperature + humidity=heat index or feels like temperature.) Since the car's temperature gauge isn't sophisticated enough to sense and calculate humidity, the reading is strictly a temperature reading.
When they quote the temperature using a heat index, they specify that. Anyway, I was comparing my thermo out back to the cars, not the temp from TV.

You Ford dealer was just giving you a line of BS.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've stated it in other threads, and I'll state it here again. Mine is always right on. Always within a degree or two of radio, tv, bank signs, and thermometers. Maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I was actually amazed at how well mine works. Seems right on the money although I'm sure that certain temperature/daylight conditions could throw it for a loop.

Chris

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to get the Pilot tinted today, Mom drove the MDX to pick me up. I noted the temp in the Pilot, 97, as I got out. Dropped it off and got in the MDX, 104. Somethings definitely off in the Pilot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My temp indicator dropped 7 degrees (from 97 down to 90) after the air conditioner had been running. The Pilot is going into the service department tomorrow to have accessories installed and I'll mention it to them. I'll report back when (& if) they figure it out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Temp

No problems here. It does take a while to adjust when there is a sudden temperature swing, but it has been accurate from day 1.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The temperature inaccuracies that you all have been mentioning -- Couldn't it be because of the wind while driving that the temperature shown is below the actual temperature ?

I have also noticed that when the car is stationary, the temperature is a little higher and then while I am driving the temperature drops a bit, but honestly I can't say for sure if it is inaccurate unless have another thermometer that I can compare it to.

Last weekend I compared it to another Pilot (both pilots took a trip to Yosemite) and the temperature matched between the two.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Which leads to the question I believe yet unasked - how did Honda engineer this to work and to what degree of accuracy? Does it totally account for wind, ambient parts heat, etc.? Or is it just meant to be a general guage? I haven't monitored it like a hawk but mine seems to be pretty accurate, which is all I really expected. It certainly does better than the one at the bank down the street, which has had us cookin' about 10-20+ degrees too high on a regular basis. :eek:

03pilot said:
The temperature inaccuracies that you all have been mentioning -- Couldn't it be because of the wind while driving that the temperature shown is below the actual temperature ?

I have also noticed that when the car is stationary, the temperature is a little higher and then while I am driving the temperature drops a bit, but honestly I can't say for sure if it is inaccurate unless have another thermometer that I can compare it to.

Last weekend I compared it to another Pilot (both pilots took a trip to Yosemite) and the temperature matched between the two.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I honestly can't see the importance if the gauge is off a few degrees unless its around the freezing mark to let you know when rain may turn to ice on the road. There are just too many factors that can affect the temp gauge sun/shade, wind, water... I think its there more as a gee whiz thing than for accurate temp readings. Ultimatley no matter how hot or cold it is outside won't matter if your windows are up and the climate control is on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It was 109 outside yesterday. When I started my pilot, it read 103 in the shade, but as I started to drive, the temp went down to 100.

Has anyone with this apparent problem brought this to the attention of their Honda Service Department?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I drove my Pilot by the bank temp sign last night and this morning and it was right on. My thinking is that when I first started my car yesterday it was sitting in the sun between two other cars which created a higher temp than normal driving conditions.

Since it's ok now, I'm not going to mention it to the Service department...they have too much to do already for me & a tech is working overtime tonight & on his day off tomorrow to get my accessories installed. (Now that's service!) Besides, I want my Pilot back A.S.A.P. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
deanster2u said:
I honestly can't see the importance if the gauge is off a few degrees unless its around the freezing mark to let you know when rain may turn to ice on the road.
Except that the A/C in the Pilot EX needs the outside temp reading for the thermostat to function correctly.

When my lower trim and fog lights were installed, the mechanic forgot to hook the outside thermometer back up. For the day that the guage wasn't working, it would take the A/C several minutes to give me cold air. Once it was hooked back up again, the A/C worked correctly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
03pilot said:
No. Wind alone will not affect the temperature that much. It would just read the temp of the wind. There would need to be a significant amount of moisture, constantly being applied to the sensor to cause evaporation and thus lowering the temp.
That's probably heat build-up from the engine. As soon as you start moving again, that warmer air circulates out and the temp returns to normal.
I expect they would be the same. However when I compared my Pilot to an MDX, which should be using the same temp sensing units, the MDX is much closer to actual temp, the Pilot much lower.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts