Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum here because I'm also a new '11 Pilot LX owner. After the purchase I discovered (through the manual) that the LX does not have the temperature display on the dash like the EX and up. After a little internet research (in part from this forum) it seemed that the LX is factory wired for the outside air temperature gauge which is located just behind the front bumper ahead of the radiator but the LX does not have the actual sensor- a simple protective plug/cap is in it's place. So I recently purchased the OEM outside air sensor and plugged it in expecting to see a dash display of the air temperature. NOT. Apparently- not so easy.

Any suggestions? Does the EX and up models have a different ECU that includes the temp dash display that the LX does not have? Is there a fuse that needs to be installed (I can't find anything in the manual about the specific fuse location for the dash/gauges and/or air temp display. What's my next step... or is this not an option/upgrade that I can do?
Thanks for your input!!
Tony

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My 2004 Accord EX did not come with an air temp sensor either, while provisions for it existed. Honda offered a kit that came with the sensor and a separate module that read the sensor and displayed the output on the dash. It was plug and play. This separate option was not well known, thus did not sell well and Honda discontinued them.

I have a feeling the same it true for the most LX models of the entire Honda line. There is the sensor (which you bought) and a separate controller or "ECU" of it own that plugs in under the dash which they can be added at any time.

If this is true, you'll need to figure out which controller to buy via parts/BOM list and of course where to connect it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a Pilot LX. Here's what confuses me about the temperature. I can clearly see an ambient temperature sensor on the bumper, exactly like in this video on how to replace it:
. The wires from it feed into housings where other wires are coming from other electronic parts, and are wrapped like you'd expect from the factory. So I don't think that the previous owner tried to install it. Why would there be a wired ambient temperature sensor, if it does not display temperature? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,535 Posts
It’s probably cheaper (logistics and parts management) for Honda to have only one cable harness and one bumper mount assembly with the sensor attached. The only difference might be the control unit on the LX doesn’t have this feature enabled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts