Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
I have ‘13 Pilot and my right front tire has been wearing on the outer part of it. Just had an alignment in April due to the tire wear and also had them rotated and noticed that it is wearing on the outer again. Anyone else have or had this issue

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Don't actually hit the stop blocks when parking. 😆

Okay, on a serious note, there are several things that could cause this, all of which should have been checked and the culprit caught by who ever did the alignment in April. xGS is correct, you should have gotten an alignment report similar as to what he posted as well as a report on the inspection of all of the components relative to the tires and suspension.

Mechanical issues that could cause this: worn ball joints, sagging springs, a bent strut or spindle, out-of-position strut tower, worn out control arm bushings, worn out struts. Other possibilities are under inflated tires, or tires that are out of balance. All of which should have been checked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to look for it. I know it’s here somewhere. From memory it was all green except left caster and that’s not that bad. They said everything looks great. I did have the bushings done due to recall. I’m going to run it up there this week and get the pressure and balance checked. They did tell me that could cause it. I looked at the tire today and the tread ware markers are all even with eachother.
I will keep you posted and thank you for the responses I really appreciate them

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the tire I have and where I circled in yellow that is where it is wearing. The straight line that is next to the tread pattern is what is wearing on the tire.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
This is the tire I have and where I circled in yellow that is where it is wearing. The straight line that is next to the tread pattern is what is wearing on the tire.
View attachment 137747
A lot of tires have grooves or lines in them that do not go as deep as the large circumferential grooves, so you may still be at 6/32 but that particular groove doesn't go any deeper.

I'm assuming you don't have a tire depth gauge or caliper to measure with, maybe take some pictures of the tread in various locations across with something consistent?

Also, I have noticed that once a tire starts to wear unevenly it will continue to do so no matter what I do with the alignment.

Reactions: Rottiemom

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s only the front passenger side that this happens to. I think you may be right that once it starts wearing and even rotating them it just continues. I took it today to get pressure checked and they put them all too spec. One guy said I had some cupping and it could be a strut issue so I asked the guy I trust who has never steered me wrong and he said all tires are good. Guess it’s a wait and see now.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
It’s only the front passenger side that this happens to. I think you may be right that once it starts wearing and even rotating them it just continues. I took it today to get pressure checked and they put them all too spec. One guy said I had some cupping and it could be a strut issue so I asked the guy I trust who has never steered me wrong and he said all tires are good. Guess it’s a wait and see now.
When your tires are rotated, is it done in the pattern shown below?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe just back and forth but I’m not 100% sure. I will have to ask them when I go get my oil changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts