Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in Las Vegas, and have finally found a good deal in California on a EX-L, but I am not sure where I am suppossed to pay my sales taxes.

One dealer states that I pay it at my home state, but I cannot drive the vehicle off of the lot if i don't pay them there in California. (Weird)
He states that I would have to have the vehicle shipped to my home state.

Another dealership told me that I would have to pay the sales tax in the state from which I purchased the vehicle.

Finally, It is my understanding that no matter where you purchase your vehicle you must pay the sales tax in the state where you register the vehicle.

Please help. Am I right or am I misguided.

I'm really excited about going to get my Pilot tomorrow, but I need to know the truth about sales taxes.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Ced said:
Im in Las Vegas, and have finally found a good deal in California on a EX-L, but I am not sure where I am suppossed to pay my sales taxes.

One dealer states that I pay it at my home state, but I cannot drive the vehicle off of the lot if i don't pay them there in California. (Weird)
He states that I would have to have the vehicle shipped to my home state.

Another dealership told me that I would have to pay the sales tax in the state from which I purchased the vehicle.

Finally, It is my understanding that no matter where you purchase your vehicle you must pay the sales tax in the state where you register the vehicle.

Please help. Am I right or am I misguided.

I'm really excited about going to get my Pilot tomorrow, but I need to know the truth about sales taxes.

Thanks.
Every situation I have heard of, you pay the sales tax in the state you reside/register the vehicle.

HTH - and good luck!:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
In my experience the sales tax is based on the county or city of the state in which the car is registered. The selling dealer typically collects the tax at sales/financing closure. Never bought one across state line though.
My experience.

ciao
mooz
exlss

·
Registered
602 Posts
I purchased my Pilot out of state (Ohio) and did not pay sales tax until I registered it in my home state (Maryland). But, I have a hunch that this kind of thing might be state specific. For instance, bordering states may have some type of agreement where the selling state collects the tax for the state the vehicle is being registered in. I believe that's the case here in Maryland and Virgina.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the input! :D I went online to the NV DMV website and they said that the state in which I purchase the vehicle may or may not collect sales tax. If a state does collect sales tax then I would be responsible for paying the difference upon registration of the vehicle.

So I depends on the state in which you purchase the vehicle.

So your guess was right Guitarman ;) .

Thanks again, and hopefully I will be leaving in about an hour to go get our shiny new honda pilot :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought out of state and did not pay sales tax at the time of purchase. I paid it to my own state when I registered the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts